Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all really, (non-university specific).
    With reasonable price difference (<£20 ish).

Opinions?
    Pros/Cons?

Those who are going to Uni this September/October, what will you be choosing and why?
    Those already at Uni, what had you chose, did you make the right decision?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni but I would have to have an ensuite. I couldn't share showers and lavatories with others. Never mind walking back from them with nothing but a towel to cover everything...

I'm willing to pay so I can have some dignity.

ReputationRep:
    en suite definitely, worth every penny.
    But then again I'm also opting for the biggest room possible or will most probably just buy/share a deluxe appartment with another person or two.

I guess it depends if you can affoard it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    I'm not at uni but I would have to have an ensuite. I couldn't share showers and lavatories with others. Never mind walking back from them with nothing but a towel to cover everything...

I'm willing to pay so I can have some dignity.
    Really?
    LOL.

Never been in a shower after a gym class before?

Are you some sort of ******?

It's more to do with the smell and the wait every morning.

ReputationRep:
    No en-suite for me. Too expensive. There are lots of other things I'd rather spend my money on than my own bathroom. Plus I guess you need to think about stuff you have to buy to be able to keep your bathroom clean - no worries about that if you go for shared because they're cleaned nearly everyday in most places. People who claim they "just must!" have an en-suite need a reality check. It's university accommodation, not a hotel.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would die without having an ensuite but I got put in a shared bathroom flat and I've found its perfectly fine. I share with 4 others, and have only had to wait the odd time for a shower. You'll find kitchen cleanliness is more of an issue than the bathroom. This is because people consciously think about clearing up any mess etc as it is seen as "disgusting" and unhygienic but they will happily leave meat in a pan for 2 weeks on the side of the kitchen till it develops mould as it's not personal hygiene.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No need.

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer to have my own bathroom (will be putting an en-suite room as my 1st choice) but won't be too bothered if I don't get one.

ReputationRep:
    Not having an ensuite really isn't that bad. I thought it would be the worst thing in the world, but it wasn't and you'll find that they're cleaned regularly anyway. Save yourself the money! It's only in my last year of uni that I've got ensuite myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for ensuite, just 'cause I loveee having /really/ long showers with music on & being able to just walk out of the bathroom naked is always good :p:
    Plus I think it'd be a lifesaver when I'm hungover lol

Saying that, I wont be too fussed if I end up without- more money to spend on other things

ReputationRep:
    definitely en-suite

ReputationRep:
    En-Suite is a must. You can take a **** as long as you like without no one bothering you. Trust me, your gonna need it for those diarrhea days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oatcake)
    Title says it all really, (non-university specific).
    With reasonable price difference (<£20 ish).

Opinions?
    Pros/Cons?

Those who are going to Uni this September/October, what will you be choosing and why?
    Those already at Uni, what had you chose, did you make the right decision?

Thanks
    I need one, in my opinion it's worth an extra £20 for my own bathroom. I'd feel really gross using a communal one.

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied for postgrad accommodation at Durham and my first choice is a room in the main college building with shared bathrooms. I've been living in a mixed house with my friends for the past 2 years so I'm pretty used to it. It would seem a bit silly to pay about £600-700 more to have my own en-suite bathroom for a year; it's hardly essential.

Apparently in most universities having an en-suite encroaches on floor space (i.e. the actual bedroom part is smaller) plus you get the noise from the extractor fan which could be irritating if you're working or wanting to sleep (something my sister has moaned about).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    I would prefer to have my own bathroom (will be putting an en-suite room as my 1st choice) but won't be too bothered if I don't get one.
    Just a tip: if this is the case and you decide to go choose Nottingham (can see you've got an offer from your sig) then make Cavendish Hall (catered, on University Park) your first choice for accom. It's the only hall where a high majority of the rooms are en-suite. Your chances of having you're own private en-suite in the other halls are slim to non-existent, unless you want to share a room. Broadgate Park which is self-catering and just off-campus does have some 'studio' style flats/rooms where you'd get your own bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    I almost died when I found out I didn't have an en-suite room at halls. However, when I arrived and saw everything, it really wasn't bad! Now having stayed in both en-suite and shared facilities, I would say shared is just fine! It saves you a heck of a lot of money, and I hardly had any problems with waiting/tidyness etc (our shared facilities were cleaned every day by cleaners). En-suite tends to be way more expensive, using up money you could be spending elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Really?
    LOL.

Never been in a shower after a gym class before?

Are you some sort of ******?

It's more to do with the smell and the wait every morning.
    No, I haven't. Besides, we refer to it as P.E.

And no, I'm no ****** - I'm not the one who likes to shower with other men after 'gym'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LZRSWRD)
    I thought I would die without having an ensuite but I got put in a shared bathroom flat and I've found its perfectly fine. I share with 4 others, and have only had to wait the odd time for a shower. You'll find kitchen cleanliness is more of an issue than the bathroom. This is because people consciously think about clearing up any mess etc as it is seen as "disgusting" and unhygienic but they will happily leave meat in a pan for 2 weeks on the side of the kitchen till it develops mould as it's not personal hygiene.
    ROFL. Your sig is epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    Just a tip: if this is the case and you decide to go choose Nottingham (can see you've got an offer from your sig) then make Cavendish Hall (catered, on University Park) your first choice for accom. It's the only hall where a high majority of the rooms are en-suite. Your chances of having you're own private en-suite in the other halls are slim to non-existent, unless you want to share a room. Broadgate Park which is self-catering and just off-campus does have some 'studio' style flats/rooms where you'd get your own bathroom.
    They can't pick halls this year :/
    All en-suite on BGP are gone.

En-suite for me...no specific reason. I just want one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LZRSWRD)
    Lmao @ your sig.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.