Turn on thread page Beta

How to get an A* in GCSE English Literature and Language - AQA watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    Basically I'm in year 11 and I'm in need of any sort of tips and help to get an A* in the upcoming GCSE summer exams English Literature and Language Exams.

I've already got an all A*s in the coursework, As in the speaking and listening assesments and I am predicted A*. However I always get a C for the mock exams and practice questions that we do in class. I'm doing Of Mice and Men, Duffy, Armitage and Pre-1914 poems, and Cluster 1 of Different Culture Poems

I would really appreciate any sort of help, especially:
    • Which revision guides are best for A* in GCSE English
    • Tips on how to differentiate between an A and an A*
    • Links to examples of A* exams and also past papers
    • General tips on revision and tips for the exam

Thanks very much, I am really desperate to get an A* in english

ReputationRep:
    Aaah it kills me when i see people who got A* courseworks . I managed to get one of the highest english marks in my school, but my stupid coursework brought my grade down.

Personally, I can't signify the importance of originality when it comes down to the poems. It is difficult to identify the points, which is why it's so important for A* as vast majority are unable to do it themselves.
    I managed to do it by just reading the poems over and over, until a word or the structure hit an idea in my brain. It's hard, but manageable.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll start reading poems all the time.
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    CGP is really really good for the poems, they have some key points clearly shown that you may want to look at. xD

ReputationRep:
    When analyzing poems don't just use points from CGP books and other text books. I thought outside of the box and gave very different and original interpretations of the poems that i thought no other student would think off. I hadn't revised the poems so this is what i was forced to do and I got an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taliman)
    When analyzing poems don't just use points from CGP books and other text books. I thought outside of the box and gave very different and original interpretations of the poems that i thought no other student would think off. I hadn't revised the poems so this is what i was forced to do and I got an A*
    Hello, how exactly did you 'think outside the box' and thought of ideas no other students would think of? I'm struggling with those skills a lot

ReputationRep:
    I don't know.

I got an A in maths though.

I like maths, I think it is better than English because... well it is just better.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.