How to get an A* in GCSE English Literature and Language - AQA Watch

miledd
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi.
Basically I'm in year 11 and I'm in need of any sort of tips and help to get an A* in the upcoming GCSE summer exams English Literature and Language Exams.

I've already got an all A*s in the coursework, As in the speaking and listening assesments and I am predicted A*. However I always get a C for the mock exams and practice questions that we do in class. I'm doing Of Mice and Men, Duffy, Armitage and Pre-1914 poems, and Cluster 1 of Different Culture Poems

I would really appreciate any sort of help, especially:
  • Which revision guides are best for A* in GCSE English
  • Tips on how to differentiate between an A and an A*
  • Links to examples of A* exams and also past papers
  • General tips on revision and tips for the exam

Thanks very much, I am really desperate to get an A* in english
Notsocleverstudent
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aaah it kills me when i see people who got A* courseworks . I managed to get one of the highest english marks in my school, but my stupid coursework brought my grade down.

Personally, I can't signify the importance of originality when it comes down to the poems. It is difficult to identify the points, which is why it's so important for A* as vast majority are unable to do it themselves.
I managed to do it by just reading the poems over and over, until a word or the structure hit an idea in my brain. It's hard, but manageable.

Good luck.
miledd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the advice. I'll start reading poems all the time.
Anyone else?
Leeshur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CGP is really really good for the poems, they have some key points clearly shown that you may want to look at. xD
taliman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When analyzing poems don't just use points from CGP books and other text books. I thought outside of the box and gave very different and original interpretations of the poems that i thought no other student would think off. I hadn't revised the poems so this is what i was forced to do and I got an A*
BTS_ARMY_XOXO
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by taliman)
When analyzing poems don't just use points from CGP books and other text books. I thought outside of the box and gave very different and original interpretations of the poems that i thought no other student would think off. I hadn't revised the poems so this is what i was forced to do and I got an A*
Hello, how exactly did you 'think outside the box' and thought of ideas no other students would think of? I'm struggling with those skills a lot
\arezsxrdct
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know.

I got an A in maths though.

I like maths, I think it is better than English because... well it is just better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?