The Student Room Group

LSE rejection really depressing :(

i sent an email to lse asking the reason for rejection and they said personal statement. this is for accounting n finance btw

can some1 help me and tell me what my ps lacked?? cos im still obsessed abt lse i even bought the preliminary reading list and read..... :frown:

and is 2nd year entry for this course possible?

my ps is attached.........

mod edit: PS attachments removed.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What were your grades like at GCSE and AS?
Reply 2
Original post by kmansick
i sent an email to lse asking the reason for rejection and they said personal statement. this is for accounting n finance btw

can some1 help me and tell me what my ps lacked?? cos im still obsessed abt lse i even bought the preliminary reading list and read..... :frown:

and is 2nd year entry for this course possible?

my ps is attached.........

This is entirely my oppinion but:
1) The first paragraph, especially at the start, seems like your applying for a buisness degree
2) You put why accountants are needed, but not much about why you want to become one which is what the main focus of a PS should be. Take the example of doctors. Most people could write convincingly about why doctors are needed, but why they want to become a doctor is another matter.
Reply 3
Original post by stevenhenshall
What were your grades like at GCSE and AS?

But the op said he got rejected because of his personal statement :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
But the op said he got rejected because of his personal statement :confused:

Does not mean it was the p.s.

Also grades may be variable to how good the p.s. has to be to offset the 'bad' grades.
Please do not post your PS in a public forum. You are still in the UCAS application process and therefore your application could be affected if your PS from the internet is taken and used by other people.

If you wish to reapply to LSE (or other universities) next year come to PS help in the summer and we'll help you improve it :smile:
Reply 6
Definitely know how you feel. You'll get over it though.
Reply 7
Original post by Prikstera
Does not mean it was the p.s.

Also grades may be variable to how good the p.s. has to be to offset the 'bad' grades.

If it was grades they would have said that, they said it was the statement. Why would they lie?
Reply 8
Also OP post this in the LSE forum, LSE has different criteria to other unis for personal statements.

Did you read the LSE website and how they advised you make your ps? They have 'special' guidelines on how to write it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Commiserations :console:

I'm not doing a finance related course, not have I applied to LSE but I'll (try to) give you a general evaluation of your PS.

First paragraph is basically just defining what accounting is. Don't know about accounting to tell if the definition is correct or not but either way it's unnecessary imo. This should be at most no more than a few lines just to show you understand what you're getting in to. The reader already knows what accounting is.

Second paragraph is I suspect what lets the whole thing down. You're trying to forecast the future in a rather definitive way and then make that forecast the reasoning for your choice in the course. You've basically told them that you're in it because you think there'll be great demand in the future and you want a piece of the lucrative pie.
What they really want to hear from you is your passion and interest in the field (without using the word 'passion')
A personalised story for how your enthusiasm for the field started would be better.

Work experience parts are great though, I reckon that's the best thing in your PS. The part where you justify your A-level subjects also is a little generic and kind of obvious. You should've been more specific and used very particular topics in the subjects and demonstrated how you think they're applicable to the course.

That's my two cents worth anyway, I'm analysing the PS in a general way looking at the content and structure...I don't know enough about the field to analyse the specific definitions and accounting related info.

It may not even be your PS because not all the feedback unis give is specific to each applicant, sometimes they just give a common reason to many applicants.

Chin up dude, best of luck for all your other unis!
Reply 10
Original post by jelly1000
This is entirely my oppinion but:
1) The first paragraph, especially at the start, seems like your applying for a buisness degree
2) You put why accountants are needed, but not much about why you want to become one which is what the main focus of a PS should be. Take the example of doctors. Most people could write convincingly about why doctors are needed, but why they want to become a doctor is another matter.

i did say i want to be an accountant with an intention of improving the economy. i mentioned what i learnt in economics :smile: and especially at this point in time accountants are needed the most. i mean in an interview i can even explain this clearly....
Reply 11
Original post by oxymoronic
Please do not post your PS in a public forum. You are still in the UCAS application process and therefore your application could be affected if your PS from the internet is taken and used by other people.

If you wish to reapply to LSE (or other universities) next year come to PS help in the summer and we'll help you improve it :smile:

well its a rejected personal statement so it wont be of anyones help anyways :frown: and i got an offer from durham and lancaster went to the durham open evening and they said alot abt their careers advisory.....so if i go there or lancaster they wud help me and ofc tsr!!
Reply 12
Original post by Prikstera
Also OP post this in the LSE forum, LSE has different criteria to other unis for personal statements.

Did you read the LSE website and how they advised you make your ps? They have 'special' guidelines on how to write it.

yes i read it later when they told me to read, i thought bringing up my knowledge would help me getting my offer, but i mean how tho?? i cant say i love accounting! accounting is my life!! i have no one in my family related to accounting
Reply 13
Original post by Panda Vinnie
Commiserations :console:

I'm not doing a finance related course, not have I applied to LSE but I'll (try to) give you a general evaluation of your PS.

First paragraph is basically just defining what accounting is. Don't know about accounting to tell if the definition is correct or not but either way it's unnecessary imo. This should be at most no more than a few lines just to show you understand what you're getting in to. The reader already knows what accounting is.

Second paragraph is I suspect what lets the whole thing down. You're trying to forecast the future in a rather definitive way and then make that forecast the reasoning for your choice in the course. You've basically told them that you're in it because you think there'll be great demand in the future and you want a piece of the lucrative pie.
What they really want to hear from you is your passion and interest in the field (without using the word 'passion')
A personalised story for how your enthusiasm for the field started would be better.

Work experience parts are great though, I reckon that's the best thing in your PS. The part where you justify your A-level subjects also is a little generic and kind of obvious. You should've been more specific and used very particular topics in the subjects and demonstrated how you think they're applicable to the course.

That's my two cents worth anyway, I'm analysing the PS in a general way looking at the content and structure...I don't know enough about the field to analyse the specific definitions and accounting related info.

It may not even be your PS because not all the feedback unis give is specific to each applicant, sometimes they just give a common reason to many applicants.

Chin up dude, best of luck for all your other unis!

whats wrong in having a piece of lucrative pie lol......and i have no experience whatsoever.cos in my family ur either a doctor or a dentist.....evry1 in medical field......plus no1 helped me :frown: and i got offer from durham! ( ranked above lse in the complete uni guide ) and lancaster for accounting finance and maths.........im waiting for edinbro and newcastle......im still gna try my best to transfer to lse.......i mean i wouldnt mind takin a gap year and reapplying to lse.....but il continue thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by tface
If it was grades they would have said that, they said it was the statement. Why would they lie?

Why wouldn't they? There's obviously more to an application than the personal statement, but they told him the main reason. That doesn't mean there aren't other factors too.
Reply 15
Original post by ily_em
Why wouldn't they? There's obviously more to an application than the personal statement, but they told him the main reason. That doesn't mean there aren't other factors too.

okay im predicted AAAA in maths physics economics and business studies.

my gcse grades wernt amazing at all
A* 3As 5Bs

i dont think its my grades.....cos the course requires AAB and im predicted AAAA
Reply 16
Original post by 2ndClass
Definitely know how you feel. You'll get over it though.

howw thoo?? i cant.....
When applicants ask a university why their application failed the Universities only have a few possible responses. Whatever response you are given, I honestly do not think that you should read too much into it, the real reason is that invariably the universities have received applications from stronger candidates ... harsh but true.
The easiest responses that a uni can give is "Personal Statement " or grades
Reply 18

A* 3As 5Bs

i dont think its my grades.....cos the course requires AAB and im predicted AAAA

They often expect higher grades than what they state though, what were your AS' like?
Reply 19

A* 3As 5Bs

LSE does place a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades - I suspect yours meant they looked at your PS particularly carefully and decided it didn't meet their criteria as closely as other PSs they looked at.

I know it's disappointing, but the best thing to do is to chalk this up to experience and move on. For Accounting and Finance there are better options anyway, as you have stated yourself. By taking the line 'it's LSE or nothing' (AFAIK they don't accept transfers, by the way, so reapplying would be your only option - and a high risk one at that) you are missing out on real opportunities there for the taking. Lancaster's Business School has an international ranking to rival LSE's, as it happens. The Durham course, IIRC, is based on the Stockton campus so you may want to check that out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending