Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am doing the iodine clock experiment and am having trouble finding the rates of reaction involved. So, for example I varied the concentration of potassium iodide and measured the time taken for the black colour to form.

From here would I plot a graph of conc. v time then draw tangents at each data point to find the gradient (rate)?

If so could somebody please tell me whether or not it is possible to do on excel and if not how would I convert my results of time into rates.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tujej)
    Hey, I am doing the iodine clock experiment and am having trouble finding the rates of reaction involved. So, for example I varied the concentration of potassium iodide and measured the time taken for the black colour to form.

From here would I plot a graph of conc. v time then draw tangents at each data point to find the gradient (rate)?

If so could somebody please tell me whether or not it is possible to do on excel and if not how would I convert my results of time into rates.

thanks
    well rate is how fast concentration changes, so its unit is mol per dm cube per second. then from there, it should be pretty obvious as to what you need to do to get a relationship between time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    well rate is how fast concentration changes, so its unit is mol per dm cube per second. then from there, it should be pretty obvious as to what you need to do to get a relationship between time.
    conc/time?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.