Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
    i bet it won't...let the parents do it..
    But that is the point. When there are people expressing the views that have been shared in this thread, then many parents won't do it. So we will just continue to be an ill-tolerant society who bullies people because of their sexuality. Education is what will change that.

(Original post by sherlllll)
    Don't feel sorry for me! I view religion as a great thing
    I know its totally off topic, but just out of curiosity, what do you feel about the idea that religion isn't a good thing? For example the amount of wars that have been fought on religious grounds etc. If you don't want to answer (or if a mod wants to edit this out) then feel free .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    But if their parents are homophobes we end up with people like you, and that's not what's best for society or the child
    o well its life...there's other ways than going in to schools and teaching homosexuality...i don't physically or verbally abuse gays...I LEAVE THEM ALONE...but i don't want my child being taught somethig like homosexuality by anyone but myself...i have a son...he doesn't abuse gays either so what your beef ? WE BOTH LEAVE THEM ALONE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)

I know its totally off topic, but just out of curiosity, what do you feel about the idea that religion isn't a good thing? For example the amount of wars that have been fought on religious grounds etc. If you don't want to answer (or if a mod wants to edit this out) then feel free .
    The majority of wars fought "for religion" have actually had other motives. PEOPLE cause wars; it's usually over land or power, and they use religion as an excuse.
    Religion doesn't CAUSE war at all.
    Even if religion isn't a motive, humans find another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But that is the point. When there are people expressing the views that have been shared in this thread, then many parents won't do it. So we will just continue to be an ill-tolerant society who bullies people because of their sexuality. Education is what will change that.

Wars fought on religious grounds are to me really examples of how society has corrupted the original purposes of religion. They cannot be honestly justified on religious grounds. The purpose of religion to me seems to be so incredibly noble; helping those who need help the most and offering nothing but morality and grace to the world whilst being a collective comfort millions can derive hope from, I cannot help but respect it and strive to shape my life around it.

Yes, Emma above me said what I was also going to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    The majority of wars fought "for religion" have actually had other motives. PEOPLE cause wars; it's usually over land or power, and they use religion as an excuse.
    Religion doesn't CAUSE war at all.
    Even if religion isn't a motive, humans find another one.
    Wars fought on religious grounds are to me really examples of how society has corrupted the original purposes of religion. They cannot be honestly justified on religious grounds. The purpose of religion to me seems to be so incredibly noble; helping those who need help most and offering nothing but morality and grace to the world whilst being a collective comfort millions can derive hope from, I cannot help but respect it and strive to shape my life around it.

Yes, Emma above me is right, that's my answer essentially.
    Yep, had an idea that would be the case.
    I do find your comments (sherlllll) a little odd, considering a fair amount of religious teaching is actually about intolerance (be it about gay people, or even simply those who are not Christian). But I'm not going to debate it any further because its off topic. Thanks for the answers though.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry? Yes they are lol...
    sorry, I meant to write should not be in schools

ReputationRep:
    Wars fought on religious grounds are to me really examples of how society has corrupted the original purposes of religion. They cannot be honestly justified on religious grounds. The purpose of religion to me seems to be so incredibly noble; helping those who need help the most and offering nothing but morality and grace to the world whilst being a collective comfort millions can derive hope from, I cannot help but respect it and strive to shape my life around it.

Yes, Emma above me said what I was also going to say.
    Just to point out, as a gay man i am also religious. I don't attend mass anymore because i don't really feel welcome, but i still believe, and it still has a role in my life. My fiance is the same, also Catholic. We didn't choose to be gay, but we still choose to be Christian, and i don't care if people say the bible damns us, Jesus did not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R00)
    I don't think some people understand how hard it is for gay people to be themselves, it would be easier for people to just accept the fact that some people are different. I guess there is always going to be someone somewhere who is going to make it difficult.

I'm not saying that gays should be given a hard time, seems to me that as soon as homosexuality is involved in a thread everyone jumps on the pro-gay bandwagon.

The issue is whether or not homosexuality should be taught to 5 year olds as a viable alternative to heterosexuality, when it clearly isn't.

I know I'm going to get a **** load of neg for this, but I feel sorry for homosexuals because they clearly suffer from some sort of illness/condition, w/e you want to call it. Homosexuality is categorically not normal, it's a mental defect that means their sexuality is mixed up from what it should be. Which is fine, some people are born that way, they can live their lives perfectly happily, I don't have a problem with it. However, this does not and never will make it normal, and I don't think that children should be taught that homosexuality is the normal way society operates. The parents should be the ones to teach children about sexuality and other personal matters, NOT the schools, they've overstepped their mandate.

I have nothing against homosexuals, I'm never going to protest against homosexuals, I accept that they have a mental condition that makes them different to everyone else, in the same way that I have no problem with people with down-syndrome or any other mental defect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)

I'm not saying that gays should be given a hard time, seems to me that as soon as homosexuality is involved in a thread everyone jumps on the pro-gay bandwagon.

The issue is whether or not homosexuality should be taught to 5 year olds as a viable alternative to heterosexuality, when it clearly isn't.

I know I'm going to get a **** load of neg for this, but I feel sorry for homosexuals because they clearly suffer from some sort of illness/condition, w/e you want to call it. Homosexuality is categorically not normal, it's a mental defect that means their sexuality is mixed up from what it should be. Which is fine, some people are born that way, they can live their lives perfectly happily, I don't have a problem with it. However, this does not and never will make it normal, and I don't think that children should be taught that homosexuality is the normal way society operates. The parents should be the ones to teach children about sexuality and other personal matters, NOT the schools, they've overstepped their mandate.

I have nothing against homosexuals, I'm never going to protest against homosexuals, I accept that they have a mental condition that makes them different to everyone else, in the same way that I have no problem with people with down-syndrome or any other mental defect.
    The majority of us jump on the pro gay bandwagon as you say it because we accept people for what they are, do not see them as a threat. There has been some repungant views on this thread, but making similarities between someones sexuality and learning disabilities really pushes the boat out.

The schools are having to step in becuase of the narrow mindedness that goes on, parents are obviously not the best to give their kids a balanced view of sexuality, and to be fair it seems that yours failed pretty badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonny_J_D)
    Y'know two of the greatest civilizations in history - The Greeks and Romans were openly Bisexual at least. Yes, some of the greatest thinkers and military leaders in history were openly gay

How does that make you feel?
    Yeah I feel really stupid now, I think I'll go have sex with a man to increase my intelligence quota.

ReputationRep:

The view that homosexuality and bisexuality are mental defects has been heavily criticised due to the lack of any scientific evidence. It was classified as a mental illness at one point until several studies failed to provide any consistent empirical data to support the assertion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Omg!! Homosexuality is normal!! Your point is ridiculous. Your acting like a child yourself.
    Right...I come up with a reasonable comparison to make my argument clearer and you say "omg shutup you're just wrong"

-.-

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I feel really stupid now, I think I'll go have sex with a man to increase my intelligence quota.
    Umm, paging Doctor Freud...

Y'Kinda missed my point there kid. You should have noticed that I was using that as a point suggesting that you should be more tolerant, not giving you a reason why you should be gay.

ReputationRep:
    ... What the hell are you talking about? Sleeping with family members and animals are completely different things.
    There's seriously nothing wrong with being gay. Get over it.
    They really aren't that different at all.

Your main argument for homosexuality seems to be "they still love each other the same."

Well, what about this then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp0KowG67A

They "love" each other, but incest is clearly immoral, yes? or are we going to be promoting incest to kids in a few years time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    But if their parents are homophobes we end up with people like you, and that's not what's best for society or the child
    So you think you know how to raise another person's child better than them?

So much for personal freedoms.

ReputationRep:
    They really aren't that different at all.

Your main argument for homosexuality seems to be "they still love each other the same."

Well, what about this then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp0KowG67A

They "love" each other, but incest is clearly immoral, yes? or are we going to be promoting incest to kids in a few years time?
    There's clearly a massive difference.
    Being homosexual is natural. The difference between the things you are comparing is - there is no harm in homosexuals BEING homosexual, where as reproducing with someone you're already related to by blood is actually dangerous to whichever children they have... It's in-breeding.

Don't make such silly comparisons.
    Being homosexual doesn't harm anyone, and isn't dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    The majority of us jump on the pro gay bandwagon as you say it because we accept people for what they are, do not see them as a threat. There has been some repungant views on this thread, but making similarities between someones sexuality and learning disabilities really pushes the boat out.

The schools are having to step in becuase of the narrow mindedness that goes on, parents are obviously not the best to give their kids a balanced view of sexuality, and to be fair it seems that yours failed pretty badly.
    Excuse me, are you genuinely trying to suggest that my parents are bad parents because they did not teach me that it is normal to **** another man?

I've talked to my parents about this and they've told me personally that if I was gay it wouldn't change how much they loved me or their respect for me. In the same way that if I was born without any legs that wouldn't change how much they loved and respected me.

I'm kind of offended that you seem to think my parents have failed in some way because I don't immediately bow to peer-pressure and am myself a free-thinking individual, I rarely meet people with opinions similar to my own. People on this thread seem to be polarised between "omg gays are evil" and "omg gays are normal." In my opinion they are neither evil nor normal, they are people like everyone else, they have the same feelings, thoughts, emotions etc they just have a condition which results in them being attracted to the same sex, thereby meaning that homosexuality cannot be the norm.

ReputationRep:
    There's clearly a massive difference.
    Being homosexual is natural. The difference between the things you are comparing is - there is no harm in homosexuals BEING homosexual, where as reproducing with someone you're already related to by blood is actually dangerous to whichever children they have... It's in-breeding.

Don't make such silly comparisons.
    Being homosexual doesn't harm anyone, and isn't dangerous.
    But they love each other.

Don't they have the right to be together?

The children of the homosexual couple should be brought up in a normal family, having two dads doesn't provide for this. In B4: (don't get the studies out, idc, to me, a child should have a mother and a father, if possible (single families come about more often than not as mistakes due to lust, they aren't an argument for gay adoption))

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm going to get a **** load of neg for this, but I feel sorry for homosexuals because they clearly suffer from some sort of illness/condition, w/e you want to call it. Homosexuality is categorically not normal, it's a mental defect that means their sexuality is mixed up from what it should be.
    Bull ****.
    Do you have ANY evidence for that stupid claim? No.

The children of the homosexual couple should be brought up in a normal family, having two dads doesn't provide for this. In B4: (don't get the studies out, idc, to me, a child should have a mother and a father, if possible (single families come about more often than not as mistakes due to lust, they aren't an argument for gay adoption))
    Oh ffs :rolleyes:

So single parent families where one of the parents has died is a mistake? What about where one of the parens turns abusive so the relationship ends? And no matter what you think of them, children from families where there isn't a traditional mother and father are fine.

Family is changing. Its no longer "a mother and a father". More than 1 in 4 kids do not grow up in a family like that.

ReputationRep:
    But they love each other.

Don't they have the right to be together?

No.

Children of homosexual couples turn out fine, there's no issue. It's just your personal prejudices.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.