Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is it about? Its sooo long. Why do we have to fill it?

ReputationRep:
    Do it online, takes about 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    So the government know where everyone lives so it can allocate funding better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    It's about you.

It's not long at all, it took 5 minutes, anyone who says it's long is an idiot.

It allows the govt. to get an idea of the demographics of the country, which assists them in divvying out resources. From a solidarity point of view, censuses make it easier for historians of the future to examine the society at this time, giving them a better reference for examining the period.

Seriously though, it takes 5 minutes, it doesn't ask for anything I at least would have a problem giving out to the govt. anyway, and if you don't do it you get a fine. Why would you not do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    So the government can allocate healthcare, education, childcare etc more proportionately and make better use of government funds, so that grants can be awarded to businesses that set up using certain skill sets in areas of high unemployment, so that the risk of failure to businesses is reduced, as they can use aggregated data to find applicable markets, helping our economy.

Plus, there's a £1,000 fine if you don't, and a criminal record.

It takes all of six and a half minutes to do online - man up, foo'.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a link available for it?

Tried google but there are too many bull**** links, would be nice for someone to post up the official link, and for lurkers too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Anyone have a link available for it?

Tried google but there are too many bull**** links, would be nice for someone to post up the official link, and for lurkers too.
    1. Type census into Google.
    2. First link is the official census page.
    3. First sub-link is titled "complete your census online".

Was it really that hard to find?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    1. Type census into Google.
    2. First link is the official census page.
    3. First sub-link is titled "complete your census online".

Was it really that hard to find?
    Thank you. For some reason Im getting census for the US in my results, then when changed to UK was getting alot of family tree sites...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Thank you. For some reason Im getting census for the US in my results, then when changed to UK was getting alot of family tree sites...
    Huh, weird

ReputationRep:
    apparently anyone in a EU member state can look up people on the British census and get information about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDFK)
    apparently anyone in a EU member state can look up people on the British census and get information about them.
    Have you looked at the census questions? Who gives a **** if some French creep knows what your job title is or whether you're a Jedi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Have you looked at the census questions? Who gives a **** if some French creep knows what your job title is or whether you're a Jedi?
    I do that is private information that i do not wish to disclose to anyone nevermind europeans i have never met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDFK)
    All personal information is not released for 100 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDFK)
    I do that is private information that i do not wish to disclose to anyone nevermind europeans i have never met.
    Then you're paranoid and are probably a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDFK)
    No data that can be traced to individuals is available to the public - it is all anonymised.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It would only be statistical information available, and it costs a lot of money to get that sort of info (apparently companies like supermarkets do it so they know how much parking/whether to sell speciality foods etc). No one would be able to be picked out, it would be like 43% male, 57% female population of the Greenwich borough, for example

ReputationRep:
    It's not long, takes about 5 minutes per person and doesn't ask anything even remotely personal.

I put my religion as "Gryffindor" and for what I did at work I put "Fixed Stuff and Chilled". As that's basically what I did.

ReputationRep:
    Is it only one person per household who has to do it, or does everyone over the age of 18 need to??

I live with my mum and only she has filled it in, so I'm not sure whether I need to as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    It would only be statistical information available, and it costs a lot of money to get that sort of info (apparently companies like supermarkets do it so they know how much parking/whether to sell speciality foods etc). No one would be able to be picked out, it would be like 43% male, 57% female population of the Greenwich borough, for example
    They already spy on us.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Is it only one person per household who has to do it, or does everyone over the age of 18 need to??

I live with my mum and only she has filled it in, so I'm not sure whether I need to as well.
    It has to be filled in for everyone, even children. Altho obviously it's not going to take long for them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.