Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    im not saying that at all, in fact i am a smoker, but on the other hand i wil;l be training to be a nurse in jan so i will be helping people. When did he ever help a man to walk again or care for a premeture baby?
    It's got nothing to do with helping people, wow you'll be a nurse, that doesn't stop the fact that you are an addict exactly like George Best was. You try to stop smoking and see how hard you'll find it, then imagine what it's like to give up a drug that can result in DT's, hallucinations and convulsions. One addict is the same as the next one, whether that addiction is drink, cigarettes or cocaine. It's so hypocritical to sit there puffing on a fag saying how you blame someone for their addiction and how they deserve to die for it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Good riddance.

I feel sorry for the guy who donated his liver to him.
    Everyone keeps talking about his liver and how someone else should've gotten it. I may be wrong here, but I always thought that when someones liver gets transplanted, they actually cut it up and create lots of new livers for people out of it. So technically, if that's what happened, him having part of the liver wasn't really preventing anyone else from getting a part.

Btw, I'm not defending Best here, I couldn't care less that he's dead.

ReputationRep:
    I'll remember him for being a waster, and i'm not alone!

ReputationRep:
    well my fathers death caused me to miss school which in turn means i cant do maths and my spelling is awful. Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)

I don't get why you can't just let people pay their respects without diminishing everything he ever did, jeez, you weren't even alive when he played footie!
    Thanks Nice to know that someone else thinks she's being a bit bitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate85)
    It's got nothing to do with helping people, wow you'll be a nurse, that doesn't stop the fact that you are an addict exactly like George Best was. You try to stop smoking and see how hard you'll find it, then imagine what it's like to give up a drug that can result in DT's, hallucinations and convulsions. One addict is the same as the next one, whether that addiction is drink, cigarettes or cocaine. It's so hypocritical to sit there puffing on a fag saying how you blame someone for their addiction and how they deserve to die for it :rolleyes:
    i dont think i said that if you would like to find thwe quote dear. And im not acyually commenting on his problem either m comenting on why he shouldnt be treated like a hero :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well my fathers death caused me to miss school which in turn means i cant do maths and my spelling is awful. Thanks alot
    I had no way of that. I'm sorry that I offended you on that level. I still think you're being exceptionally insensitive about Best though. The guy only died today - can't you give the bitterness a rest for a while?

ReputationRep:
    and im not dimishisning anything people are entitled to pay respects i just hate the media attention

--------------

(Original post by opiache)
    I had no way of that. I'm sorry that I offended you on that level. I still think you're being exceptionally insensitive about Best though. The guy only died today - can't you give the bitterness a rest for a while?
    ok you werent to know no problem, but i im not having a go at him im having a go at the way people refere him as some sort of god when he isnt

ReputationRep:
    ok you werent to know no problem, but i im not having a go at him im having a go at the way people refere him as some sort of god when he isnt
    you're 18, you evidently don't like football, you never saw him play or the coverage around the time he played, you weren't alive, neither was I.

So on what grounds do you judge him? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    and im not dimishisning anything people are entitled to pay respects i just hate the media attention

--------------

Nobody's refering to him as a god (not that I've notiuced, anyway!) they're just paying their respects to a talented individual.
    This thread's getting a bit horrible. Time for me to leave, I think.

ReputationRep:
    IM NOT HAVING A GO AT HIM!!! JESUS CHRIST!!! i challenging the fact that he is being treated this way when he is no more of a better person then you or i?

ReputationRep:
    IM NOT HAVING A GO AT HIM!!! JESUS CHRIST!!! i challenging the fact that he is being treated this way when he is no more of a better person then you or i?
    "treated this way"? you mean people are paying their respects and saying he was a great footballer. Well he was a better footballer than i am, you saying you're better? Didn't think so. He was great, are we not allowed to say that or something? ^o)

Come on, it's called life and you know that. He's a celebrity, he had 50,000 odd people watching and chanting his name week in week out. He has always had media coverage, both positive and negative, and this is no less the case for his death. He was the 'fifth Beatle'. Does not mean he's a good person, but he was blessed with something that people loved, coveted and enjoyed. He will be in the papers for a few days. If you don't want to read it, I know I won't bother myself, skip the columns or don't buy the paper.

ReputationRep:
    oh ffs :rolleyes: your just as bad as morning theft. He was just a bloke that played football. Im not saying anyone cant pay their respects go right ahead and i certainly didnt mean for this to turn into a slanging match but people are delibratly trying to make it one, and yes i am too befoer you make antoher sarky comment

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure its kind of sad that he is dead. It must be terrible for his family but he did have his chances.

And for all the people complaining about all the media attention, well put it this way......... He lived his life in the spotlight so it was quite inevitbale that he was to finish it in the spotlight. Do you really think the reporters wanted to be there????? They are just doing their jobs.

Anyway RIP George

I think its an injustice that he never got to play in the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a football fan. seeing him on the clips I see a great player, but there are others. But there must have been more to him than that. To have his contempories claim with one voice he was the best (and not just now but before his death) means he was special.

We are in an age when we think we are the pinnacle of evolution. We are not. This guy moved a nation, as Ali did, perhaps Fangio or Senna or even Phar Lap or Mick the Miller. I wish we had somebody who is that special to brighten our days.

Those voices who criticise are drowning like raindrops in the ocean of genuine grief felt by millions.

ReputationRep:
    what has the game of football ever done for anyone?
    k time you shut up tbh. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    oh ffs :rolleyes: your just as bad as morning theft. He was just a bloke that played football. Im not saying anyone cant pay their respects go right ahead and i certainly didnt mean for this to turn into a slanging match but people are delibratly trying to make it one, and yes i am too befoer you make antoher sarky comment
    I agree.

Ok, he may have been an amazing footballer. But that does not make him a god, and it does not make him any more special than the next person. If someone is lucky enough to have a liver transplant, I feel they are under a moral obligation not to knowingly damage the new liver. They owe it to society not to ruin the new liver, as a way of saying thank you for a second chance.

It's sad for his family, but acting as though his death is the tragedy of the century is a little overdramatic, considering he basically committed suicide over a number of years.

If a 17 year old is hit and killed by a drink driver, that's a far greater tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    I agree.

Ok, he may have been an amazing footballer. But that does not make him a god, and it does not make him any more special than the next person. If someone is lucky enough to have a liver transplant, I feel they are under a moral obligation not to knowingly damage the new liver. They owe it to society not to ruin the new liver, as a way of saying thank you for a second chance.

It's sad for his family, but acting as though his death is the tragedy of the century is a little overdramatic, considering he basically committed suicide over a number of years.

If a 17 year old is hit and killed by a drink driver, that's a far greater tragedy.
    agreed, his death isn't a tragedy but an opportunity to salute at least part of his life, the part that touched so many.

ReputationRep:
    Well said tomcoolinguk !

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.