Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think you underestimate the influence footballers have on people. You cannot doubt his footballing skill and thats what many respect him for, not his drinking. football inspires people, and at the time he was a true inspiration to many.

True he was waster in a sense for the latter part of his life, but society idolises wasters drug addicts whatever all the time, just look at the music and film industries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I think you underestimate the influence footballers have on people. You cannot doubt his footballing skill and thats what many respect him for, not his drinking. football inspires people, and at the time he was a true inspiration to many.

True he was waster in a sense for the latter part of his life, but society idolises wasters drug addicts whatever all the time, just look at the music and film industries.
    Football inspires my brother to watch lots of TV and play Championship Manager instead of doing something more productive with his young life. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    pfft! Personally I dont see footballers as role models - they are paid unrealistically for what they do, and despite the element of skill involved in the sport, I can think of much more deserving uses of the funds.
    If someone like Gary Lineker died, it would be more understandable, as you would expect him to be more of the role model that people would want to have, but apprently not.
    just because people idolise the dregs of society, doesn't make it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    pfft! Personally I dont see footballers as role models - they are paid unrealistically for what they do, and despite the element of skill involved in the sport, I can think of much more deserving uses of the funds.
    If someone like Gary Lineker died, it would be more understandable, as you would expect him to be more of the role model that people would want to have, but apprently not.
    just because people idolise the dregs of society, doesn't make it right.
    Now I do like Gary Lineker. He is a refined gentleman who proves to the world that is it more than possible to be a footballer without being a thug. I would be truly upset if Gary Lineker died.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I wouldn't say no to Gary Lineker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Football inspires my brother to watch lots of TV and play Championship Manager instead of doing something more productive with his young life. :rolleyes:
    I walked into a kenyan village and the first thing i did was play footie with the locals, we normally have 8000 miles between us and we could talk about manchester united and aresnal, liverpool etc because they were supporters too. just because its "kicking a ball round" and doesnt appeal to you don't belittle it. it connects people in an amazing way.

football? not productive? make friends? increase fitness co-ordination and teamwork skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I walked into a kenyan village and the first thing i did was play footie with the locals, we normally have 8000 miles between us and we could talk about manchester united and aresnal, liverpool etc because they were supporters too. just because its "kicking a ball round" and doesnt appeal to you don't belittle it. it connects people in an amazing way.

football? not productive? make friends? increase fitness co-ordination and teamwork skills?
    I truly appreciate what you are saying, I really do. The fact is, you have just given an example of where football can truly bring good into the world, whereas I have given an example of where it has a negative impact. I'm not belittling football. As I said before, I like football. I don't support a team, as such. This is probably because I have no obvious local team and at this point in my life it seems silly to suddenly pledge allegiance to a team from a part of the country I have probably never even been to. My most local teams would probably be Southampton and Portsmouth, but I am reliably informed that I cannot like both.

However, George Best is arguably more famous now for his alcoholism than for his football. I believe that if we are to encourage the nation's love of football, we would do well to embrace such role models as Gary Lineker and Michael Owen, rather than drug addicts and self-absorbed celebrities such as George Best and David Beckham.

ReputationRep:
    ah but as a footballer he was (and still is) a rolemodel. thats why there will be 1 minute silences at football matches today. People should (and hopefully will) remember him for his positive achievements.

And why do people give negative vibes to people suffering with addiction? its a problem which medically i believe is termed as a disease.

--------------

As for football teams, get yourself down to Ashton Gate. Bristol City need all the support they can get at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    ah but as a footballer he was (and still is) a rolemodel. thats why there will be 1 minute silences at football matches today. People should (and hopefully will) remember him for his positive achievements.

And why do people give negative vibes to people suffering with addiction? its a problem which medically i believe is termed as a disease.

--------------

As for football teams, get yourself down to Ashton Gate. Bristol City need all the support they can get at the moment
    Maybe I will start supporting Bristol City. But I think the only football team I can genuinely claim to support is England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I agree with that... he was a truly great footballer, and it's a great shame what happened to him. But we didn't lose George Best the amazing footballer yesterday, we lost him a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    cant be arsed to check if this has been mentioned already but Celtic are apparently giving a 1minute applause, very good idea in my opinion(this is froma rangers fan!) the minute silence would only get ruijned by a couple of ***** anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilymckay90)
    I agree with that... he was a truly great footballer, and it's a great shame what happened to him. But we didn't lose George Best the amazing footballer yesterday, we lost him a long time ago.
    Perhaps but 'we' can't speak for his family and friends.
    I offer my condolences to them.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough people say it his own fault while he was out drinking and stuff he should have stopped to think, wait what am i doing to myself?, but it is an addiction and none gave him the faith to give it up untill later in life (the op), his wives left him and that didn;t help,

i now do think it is extremely sad he was wel loved and a great person despite the problems he had!!
    i do think it was totally disgusting i was watching sky news about 12.30 yesterday afternoon and not even an hour after he slipped away his family were in tears talking to the media and when mr bests dad asked to be left, most of them stayed to get more storys, he was barly even cold yet and the press where blocking the entrances, give them a chance to even try and take it in that there beloved had died!!

i just hope that callum doesn't got that way as georges mum died of alcoholism years before!! must be something in your family, none but yourself forces you to drink but its a difficult one to beat as we have seen,
    i hope that people realise that is what drink does to them!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    :rolleyes: wow thanks for the input, if i wanted advice from you id actually ask for it
    well you've managed to say the same thing about 2 dozen times without little variation or difference. once would have sufficed...just seems like post whoring now.

ReputationRep:
    yup im that sad to post whore :rolleyes: you can run along now mr melloncolly

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.