Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Beginner looking for a violin to buy? What should I buy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've been playing with the idea of buying myself a violin for some time now but i've got a couple of problems. Firstly i'm on a very small budget to buy this violin, however I suppose that I don't really want to spend that much on my first violin anyway. Secondly, I know nothing about violins and therefore have no idea as to what I should be buying. I know that they come in different sizes such as 3/4, 4/4 etc.. however are these only in place to correspond to different agesv(so 2/4 for a child and 4/4 for an adult?)

So what kind of thing should I buy looking for on a tight budget and for someone who has never even held a bow? If you've got any links to any specific model please post ,

Advice will be very much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Jon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riemann_1/n^s)
    x
    How much is a "very small budget"?

As a general thing I know a lot of teachers (mine included) recommend the Stentor Student II Violin Outfit for beginners: they make a lovely sound for a reasonably cheap instrument, the whole outfit including case and bow coming in at around £100, but also will last you longer if you want to carry it on more seriously rather than getting a £30 instrument that will sound like it cost £30.

Size wise I would say almost certainly full size - I changed to my full size (as a girl) at 12 or 13 I think so you'd definitely be ready unless you/your hands are incredibly small!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    How much is a "very small budget"?

As a general thing I know a lot of teachers (mine included) recommend the Stentor Student II Violin Outfit for beginners: they make a lovely sound for a reasonably cheap instrument, the whole outfit including case and bow coming in at around £100, but also will last you longer if you want to carry it on more seriously rather than getting a £30 instrument that will sound like it cost £30.

Size wise I would say almost certainly full size - I changed to my full size (as a girl) at 12 or 13 I think so you'd definitely be ready unless you/your hands are incredibly small!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me any questions
    Thanks! Yeh by small budget I mean £50.. I know it'd sound awful but I just want it for the basic platform to learn the basics before making further commitment

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Yeh by small budget I mean £50.. I know it'd sound awful but I just want it for the basic platform to learn the basics before making further commitment
    For that price from the same company there is also the Stentor Student Standard Violin Outfit which again is a nice instrument - between £50 and £60 depending on where you buy! I would avoid cheap imports off Amazon or wherever, they're not worth what you pay for them (however little that may be!)

ReputationRep:
    You'll want full size, I got a full size when I moved into secondary school, so I was only 11 or so You can buy violins very cheap, but it's not really worth it. If you're really serious about it, you're going to have to bite the bullet and go for a quality one- you'll get your moneys worth out of it. Generally a nice quality, no fuss violin set will cost £100 minium. If you're not serious, try getting one second hand, but you'll have to research on the model first and inspect it before buying.

ReputationRep:
    In light of this thread (not meaning to hijack it!), I did violin to grade one many years ago (got a distinction ohyeahhhh ), and i'm looking to pick it up again, is it worth, just to see if i like it/just to get a feel for it, doing a bit of messing around/self teaching or getting straight in with a teacher?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you could get anything decent for £50... I work in a music shop and the cheapest one we sell is the Primavera 90 at £69. It's not brilliant but it's basic enough for beginners and it's not a big investment. It's also quite popular. Up from that there's the Primavera 100 and the Stentor 1, both at around £80 (I think).

What I'd recommend is:

(1) Shop around at local music shops and enquire about prices. A few shops do schemes where, if you don't take to it, you can return the instrument within a certain number of months (6, 12, whatever) and get a certain percentage of your money back (70%, 80%, whatever).

(2) Secondly, if you do take to the violin you will eventually need to upgrade it to something better. Some shops will let you part-exchange your old violin for a new one (that is, if you bought it from that shop originally) - check which shops do this. I don't think websites do this.

(3) NEVER buy the cheap Chinese crap off eBay. They make horrible sounds and generally tend to be of a really low quality.

(4) If you want to buy a second-hand violin, always go to a good local music shop first. They will (or should have!) serviced it, cleaned it, fixed it and set it up properly for you.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    I'm not sure you could get anything decent for £50... I work in a music shop and the cheapest one we sell is the Primavera 90 at £69. It's not brilliant but it's basic enough for beginners and it's not a big investment. It's also quite popular. Up from that there's the Primavera 100 and the Stentor 1, both at around £80 (I think).

What I'd recommend is:

(1) Shop around at local music shops and enquire about prices. A few shops do schemes where, if you don't take to it, you can return the instrument within a certain number of months (6, 12, whatever) and get a certain percentage of your money back (70%, 80%, whatever).

(2) Secondly, if you do take to the violin you will eventually need to upgrade it to something better. Some shops will let you part-exchange your old violin for a new one (that is, if you bought it from that shop originally) - check which shops do this. I don't think websites do this.

(3) NEVER buy the cheap Chinese crap off eBay. They make horrible sounds and generally tend to be of a really low quality.

(4) If you want to buy a second-hand violin, always go to a good local music shop first. They will (or should have!) serviced it, cleaned it, fixed it and set it up properly for you.

Hope this helps!
    My budget would probably be flexible by about 20 pounds but realistically at most I'd only really be willing to spend about £70. After having a little look around online I stumbled upon this full size stentor violin on the musicroom website: http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0202249/details.html It's the best selling violin on their site and is rated 5 stars, do you think that this would be suitable? I dont want to make any major commitment involving me having to pay much over £70, yet I don't want to blow the money that I do have on a piece of complete junk.

ReputationRep:
    My budget would probably be flexible by about 20 pounds but realistically at most I'd only really be willing to spend about £70. After having a little look around online I stumbled upon this full size stentor violin on the musicroom website: http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0202249/details.html It's the best selling violin on their site and is rated 5 stars, do you think that this would be suitable? I dont want to make any major commitment involving me having to pay much over £70, yet I don't want to blow the money that I do have on a piece of complete junk.
    From what I gather, the Stentor Standard model is the one below the Stentor 1. I don't know much about it, but I found a description of it: here.

(Compared with the Primavera 90 (which doesn't seem to be on musicroom): here.)

So yeah, the Stentor would probably be suitable for learning the basics but you might have to upgrade it quite soon. And I totally recommend just poping into your local music shop and chatting to them, rather than buying straight off the internet.

ReputationRep:
    a Stradivarius

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.