Turn on thread page Beta

Who wants an anti-anti-cuts demo? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    Who is up for it? I am frankly sickened by these idiots who think that by smashing windows and attacking the police that somehow this validates their argument. How wrong, how stupid and just how little are these people after today's events? Indeed, stupid Miliband will stress it was a 'minority' that were involved (bull****, did you see that street?).

It seems that by provoking a protest on the lines of the Poll Tax riots, Labour are to blame for today.

I hope that Cameron passes a new law banning these demonstrations, and firmly attacks these idiots in the Commons and blames Miliband for it.

So who wants to organise an anti-anti-cuts demonstration? Instead of attacking Conservative party HQ, we will firebomb and destroy Labour's HQ. Hey, if they can do it to them, we can do it to Labour. And we will also attack any pro-Labour business that we come across. This, again, is in line with what these anti-government people are doing to pro-government businesses. So if they can do it, why not us?

Who is up for it? Our line shall be "Reality is King!", as well as "I am NOT with stupid. I know economics...and that debt is a bad thing!".
    Definite virgin

ReputationRep:
    Who is up for it? I am frankly sickened by these idiots who think that by smashing windows and attacking the police that somehow this validates their argument. How wrong, how stupid and just how little are these people after today's events? Indeed, stupid Miliband will stress it was a 'minority' that were involved (bull****, did you see that street?).

It seems that by provoking a protest on the lines of the Poll Tax riots, Labour are to blame for today.

I hope that Cameron passes a new law banning these demonstrations, and firmly attacks these idiots in the Commons and blames Miliband for it.

So who wants to organise an anti-anti-cuts demonstration? Instead of attacking Conservative party HQ, we will firebomb and destroy Labour's HQ. Hey, if they can do it to them, we can do it to Labour. And we will also attack any pro-Labour business that we come across. This, again, is in line with what these anti-government people are doing to pro-government businesses. So if they can do it, why not us?

Who is up for it? Our line shall be "Reality is King!", as well as "I am NOT with stupid. I know economics...and that debt is a bad thing!".
    All of what you wrote apart from your last sentence ("Our line shall be "Reality is King!", as well as "I am NOT with stupid. I know economics...and that debt is a bad thing!".") just makes me laugh and shows how stupid you are, I saw the amount of people at the real, main protest and seen the various figures of protesters (no less than 200,000).

The violent thugs, anarchists, the various nutters looking for a fight with the police are just some group who have latched themselves onto the main protest, i've seen the images of them on the news and yeah it looks like a rather large group of people but doesn't look like anymore than 2,000 of them at most. That is no more than 1% of the people at the protest so don't start ranting on thinking that everyone who dosen't like cuts is a thug-type tosser.

Oh and something else I do think that the current Labour party and past Labour Government is and was a disgrace and I also think that they are no better, probably worst than the current coalition government before you think I am some sort of Labour NUT.

ReputationRep:
    Lenin was a great man.

My favourite was "Come Together" although the early rock 'n' roll like "I Saw Her Standing There" and "She's a Woman" are so underrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    so much for living in a democracy where people get to express their opinions.

if i had the opportunity i would gladly punch david cameron and nick clegg, it wouldn't get me anywhere but it would sure make me feel better!
    Oh how I wish you saw the irony in your first sentence.

The Unions only respect democracy - as long as people behave in the way they want and vote for the political party they support (Labour). As soon a government of any other colour is elected the Unions are out protesting that it is wrong/not what the people wanted etc..

I wish the Unions would accept the "will of the people" as freely expressed through the ballot box at a general election - that is democracy.

ReputationRep:
    so much for living in a democracy where people get to express their opinions.
    By throwing stuff through windows? There only so much you can do for freedom of expression. Let's not pretend that vandalism is a political opinion.

ReputationRep:

This, TSR, is what is known as a sheep ^.

Someone who supports the Tories because, during their adolescence, Labour were in power, and thus were the establishment to rebel against.

Characterised by his instant acceptance of Conservative Party lines and, as such, ill-informed arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    By throwing stuff through windows? There only so much you can do for freedom of expression. Let's not pretend that vandalism is a political opinion.
    i already said that i didn't agree with that and this part of my post was in reference to OP wanting to ban any kind of demonstration.

(Original post by Ataloss)
    Oh how I wish you saw the irony in your first sentence.

The Unions only respect democracy - as long as people behave in the way they want and vote for the political party they support (Labour). As soon a government of any other colour is elected the Unions are out protesting that it is wrong/not what the people wanted etc..

I wish the Unions would accept the "will of the people" as freely expressed through the ballot box at a general election - that is democracy.
    i don't really see how that is relevant.. the unions do not control whether it's a democracy or not they're there for public interest. a lot of people are upset by what the coalition is doing (you might not be but there are a lot) so they're demonstrating... i think that's part of democracy. there have been plenty of anti labour demonstrations too while they were in power.

as for the ballot box, most people voted for a party other than tory, tory didn't even win enough seats to be full blown leading party. you can't just neglect the opinion of half (and a bit more) of the country. especially with lib dems now basically acting as another branch of the tory party.

(Original post by Ocassus)
    Well, i'd be with you on a peaceful protest, sure.

But, I wouldn't think that sinking to their level will make us seem much better to be honest. We need to show them that we have the mandate to do this, and that we have a more mature outlook.
    Agree. Let those wannabe-anarchist protest all they want. It's not going to do anything and soon enough they'll realise the cuts are necessary.

(Original post by Barden)
    This, TSR, is what is known as a sheep ^.

Someone who supports the Tories because, during their adolescence, Labour were in power, and thus were the establishment to rebel against.

Characterised by his instant acceptance of Conservative Party lines and, as such, ill-informed arguments.
    And everyone that blindly follows Labour as they are the party of the "working class" are not sheep?

That Labour is the better option because they're not "Tory scum"?

Someone who supports the Tories as an adolescent =/= sheep

What a stupid view.

ReputationRep:
    will join if this happens

as for the ballot box, most people voted for a party other than tory, tory didn't even win enough seats to be full blown leading party. you can't just neglect the opinion of half (and a bit more) of the country. especially with lib dems now basically acting as another branch of the tory party.
    That's how the ****ing system works.

Party that gets the most seats = gets to govern.
    If there is no overall majority -> hung parliament -> coalition.

Technically the Lib Dems have to act as a branch of a Tory Party. You'd rather they spent their time bickering on their policies as opposed to actually getting things done?

It's called compromise.

Lib Dems part of the coalition =/= Lib Dem policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    That's how the ****ing system works.

Party that gets the most seats = gets to govern.
    If there is no overall majority -> hung parliament -> coalition.

Technically the Lib Dems have to act as a branch of a Tory Party. You'd rather they spent their time bickering on their policies as opposed to actually getting things done?

It's called compromise.

Lib Dems part of the coalition =/= Lib Dem policies

... i realise that is how the current system works. i was not commenting on the system i was saying that the majority of people didn't vote for tory and you can't just neglect their opinions OR not expect them to demonstrate about it.

also the lib dems could have formed a coalition with labour instead of taking the "which will get nick clegg further" route, and stuck by their opinions, they didn't HAVE to do anything.

in the current situation i would rather lib dems spoke up and tried to act like the party people voted for and risk making david cameron a bit upset than compromising basically everything they believe in. i would rather things took a bit longer to get done and we saw a bit of lib dem in the mix than them being the most pointless party around.

i don't think they'll be getting many votes next election, i dislike lib dems more than i dislike the tory party.

also calm down, swearing while you're trying to get your point across on something like this doesn't get you anywhere.

... i realise that is how the current system works. i was not commenting on the system i was saying that the majority of people didn't vote for tory and you can't just neglect their opinions OR not expect them to demonstrate about it.
    So what do you propose then? Oh, let Labour stay in for another term. :rolleyes:

Yes, they can neglect their opinions, and technically they are voicing their opinions - via the ballot.

The majority of people didn't vote Tory, but Labour didn't get the majority, so tough.

also the lib dems could have formed a coalition with labour instead of taking the "which will get nick clegg further" route, and stuck by their opinions, they didn't HAVE to do anything.
    Would that have been the best route seeing as there were more Tory seats than Labour seats?

I see how it is, you can't ignore anti-Tory opinions but you can ignore Tory opinions.

in the current situation i would rather lib dems spoke up and tried to act like the party people voted for and risk making david cameron a bit upset than compromising basically everything they believe in. i would rather things took a bit longer to get done and we saw a bit of lib dem in the mix than them being the most pointless party around.
    But it will slow down making actual decisions. Who cares if they stick by their policies or not? We need more action and less talk.

Again, it is a Tory-led coalition, but you don't like that do you?

i don't think they'll be getting many votes next election, i dislike lib dems more than i dislike the tory party.
    Who, the Lib Dems? They were never a viable third party anyways.

ReputationRep:
    You have no sense of proportion. A few hundred people on Oxford Street (the majority of whom were peacefully either occupying buildings or protesting outside) does not represent the hundreds of thousands who marched through the streets of London yesterday. They were anarchists anyhow, and can scarcely be linked to labour. After all, labour still support cuts in public spending.

ReputationRep:
    We should have a spoof/mocking demo, a la Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would just go to a protest for the heck of destroying things

ReputationRep:
    And everyone that blindly follows Labour as they are the party of the "working class" are not sheep?
    Most people are indeed sheep, I'm merely putting it in perspective. Pointing out that for every Labour supporter a Tory derides as an ill-informed idiot, there is at least one Tory supporter out there fitting the same bill. :facepalm:

That Labour is the better option because they're not "Tory scum"?
    When have I ever said that?

Someone who supports the Tories as an adolescent =/= sheep

What a stupid view.
    I am speaking from experience you know, fortunately, I grew up in time to realise.

ReputationRep:
    So what do you propose then? Oh, let Labour stay in for another term. :rolleyes:

Yes, they can neglect their opinions, and technically they are voicing their opinions - via the ballot.

The majority of people didn't vote Tory, but Labour didn't get the majority, so tough.
    i didn't say that, i think the lib dems should open their mouths and say what they really think and have a bit more input into what's happening.

Would that have been the best route seeing as there were more Tory seats than Labour seats?

I see how it is, you can't ignore anti-Tory opinions but you can ignore Tory opinions.
    i also didn't say that, you were saying they had to act as part of the tory party, i was saying they had an option to, so lets not pretend that what they're doing now is because they're forced to do that.

though, i would say tory voters under labour are curently much less at risk of bad things happening to them than labour voters under tories are... not me personally aside from tuition fee rises, but all the people on benefits and other things that will effect them a lot.

But it will slow down making actual decisions. Who cares if they stick by their policies or not? We need more action and less talk.

Again, it is a Tory-led coalition, but you don't like that do you?
    that's a ridiculous thing to say... more action less talk? how about people making sure proper decisions are made that doesn't upset and hurt people as much instead of rushing in.

no obviously i don't like the fact it's a tory led coalition because i'm not right wing, what i dislike the most is how it's supposed to be a coalition yet the lib dems are having next to no input, partly through a choice of their own because they don't want to compromise their position of power and all the cennections nick clegg will make.

i expected nothing else from the tories if they managed to come into power, i'm annoyed by what they're doing but at least i knew they'd do it.

Who, the Lib Dems? They were never a viable third party anyways.
    they still managed to get into the position they're in now though.

ReputationRep:
    I hope those protestors quickly realise that cuts are neccessary and that we need them to progress in the long term for a better future. If we didn't do any cuts and went along thinking everything is fine, in the future it would hit us very hard. However I do not agree with the cuts to some vital things, such as the police and NHS.

(Original post by Ocassus)
    Well, i'd be with you on a peaceful protest, sure.

But, I wouldn't think that sinking to their level will make us seem much better to be honest. We need to show them that we have the mandate to do this, and that we have a more mature outlook.
    This. I want a peaceful and respectful counter-demonstration, and I definitely don't want to ban left-wing marches or portray them all as nutters. But it would be nice to remind the country that more people voted Tory than Labour last year and that plenty of us do actually support the cuts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.