Turn on thread page Beta

Depression severely affecting grades. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i need a bit of advice as i'm not quite sure what to do.

I've suffered with depression since i was 15 (i'm 22 now), my course leader is aware of the situation and has had notes from my doctor for extensions etc, he has been very supportive so far.

The thing is i'm really not coping at all and i think my grades are being affected, i was always a high achiever until i got ill, and while i get all of my assignments in, i'm teetering between 2:2's and 2:1's. I honestly think i'm going to end up with a 58 or something like that over all.

What i want to know is, is there anything i can do with regards to extenuating circumstances? I know there are allowances for late work but can i do anything about my classification if the worst happens? I honestly believe i should be getting a 2:1 and i'm working my arse of to achieve this but the pressures are making it extremely difficult. I'm doing everything i should be according to my GP, taking my tablets etc, so will the exam board take this into consideration when it comes to my classification?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on what your uni means by extenuating circumstances. I have a chronic condition and was told that I won't get any extra marks by being granted extenuating circumstances, it just means they know and that in the case that I fail or I can't take exams/do assessments I can re-do them. I'd get in touch with the exam board and find out what exactly they can do to help.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose getting in touch with them would be the sensible option, rather than posting on forums
    I just hate revealing my problems to them and sounding like a moaner trying to bump up my grades. Its okay here because its anonymous I suppose i should just suck it up because worrying about it is making things a million times worse.

Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got the evidence then it's obvious you're not a moaner whose trying to bump up their grades
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It really depends on your uni/department's policy. It can really vary.

Without wanting to scare you, I'm not a 2.2 candidate. Bottom of the pack, no doubt, but I honestly should have got some kind of 2.1. The mark system didn't really cater for me though :no:

Thankfully I have lots of lovely referees who vouch for me

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just something that you've got to put up with.

I have depression and it's really really affecting my grades, like I know I can get 1sts/2:1s but right now thinking is ridiculously difficult and frankly I'm going to be amazed if I finish the year with a 2:2, probably looking more at a 3rd. I'd say you're doing alright to be getting 2:1/2:2 borderline, hell I wish I was, but they can't exactly throw marks at you to make up for depression.

I'd be pretty damn pleased with 58 overall all things considered. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think it really does depend on your university (possibly course) and circumstances, but it's definitely worth talking to them about it (and you've got nothing to lose by trying!).

By the sounds of it you've definitely got a chance at least of getting a 2.1, and it might be worth speaking to them if you're concerned that you'll be on the borderline. Most universities can be very understanding if you're suffering from depression, and even if they can't do anything directly they might be able to get you sorted with some more support or workshops on how to work effectively which might help.

I had a lot of issues in my second year of uni and my uni offered me a lot of help. They gave me a concession so that I could miss a presentation and not have it counted towards my final module marks, they gave me a concession for one of my exams after my mum got ill just in case I failed it, and during my exams they gave me a concession so I could do one in August because I missed one because of a police/mental health incident. They also mentioned to me that if I ended up on the borderline of a 2.1/First they could get me a concession for affected performance and take those circumstances into account.

Other unis may be different obviously, but it's definitely worth having a chat with them even just to see if there's anything they can do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies,

You're ll right, the only thing i can do is speak to them and see what they say. I'm going to send an email of and ask for an appointment with student services and see if they can put me in touch with the right people, in the mean time i'll speak to my super awesome tutor who has been amazing, i guess i'm really lucky in that way.

good luck everyone else

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laylora)
    You're ll right, the only thing i can do is speak to them and see what they say. I'm going to send an email of and ask for an appointment with student services and see if they can put me in touch with the right people.
    It might also be worth talking to someone at your disability service. As you seem quite independent, and don't like talking others about this, I take it you haven't done this (or applied for Disabled Students Allowance)?

Don't afraid to speak to them about this as they'll be able to inform you and hopefully fight on your behalf if necessary. It's good that you've got a supportive tutor, so hopefully there shouldn't be any problems, but if there are you'd be surprised how much many disability advisers are able to do just by giving an extra nudge to the university.

Your university will have their own policy on extenuating circumstances. Is this not mentioned on their website or any student handbook? It won't usually involve you getting extra marks as such. What may happen is that they'll take your depression into consideration. So say you techincally fail a module by two marks, you can still pass by compensation. Or if you miss out on a 2:1 by only one or two marks, then you can have your classification bumped up. Sometimes, and this will vary by university, if you have a module which you've severely underperformed in due to illness, you can have it effectively chalked off and ignored (although it's still techincally included on your transcript it doesn't affect your classification).

It's good that you've been getting medical evidence as this will be helpful, probably necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Thats great advice, I hadn't thought of disability. And i know i mentioned depression in the disability section on my admission forms.

There is some info in the student handbook but its very vauge and i dont quite understand the ins and outs of what it is saying.

I'll go and make an appointment when student servics open at 9.

Thanks again
    xxx

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.