Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could you go out someone who was politically opposite you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I once got with a girl who was pretty damn right wing. I thought about taking it to the next level, but I just couldn't do it. She went hunting for God's sake.

ReputationRep:
    No never.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda forced to

..as there's no-one with quite my political outlook ideology (Post-Modernist and Neo-Functionalist IR scholar, who borrows from the English School, with something of a Neo-Pragmatist Neo-Conservative Collectivist [something of a contradiction I know!] outlook, concerning many of our more pressing state-level political issues)

I hold some fairly strong views.. but generally the girls I date are either not bothered about politics or too simple or lovely to voice their opposition, or, if they do, ultimately realise that at the end of the day if you're not with me, you're against me.. pitty tha fool who goes against me! :mrt:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i definitely couldn't date even a casual BNP member

i'm not religious but i also couldn't date an extreme atheist who kept making fun of religious people and calling them stupid/narrow minded or an extreme theist who kept quoting the bible every 5 seconds since i'm kind of in the middle.
    Same here. I'm not an extreme Christian. I try, but I'm not the best example of a Christian. I don't shove it down peoples throats though. Loads of my friends are surprised when they find out I am. :lol: I think they see me as agnostic. But no, definitely no BNP members, and nobody with extreme views towards any religion, whether it's for or against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Kinda forced to

..as there's no-one with quite my political outlook ideology (Post-Modernist and Neo-Functionalist IR thinker, who borrows from the English School, with something of a Neo-Pragmatist Neo-Conservative Collectivist [something of a contradiction I know!])
    what? in english please!

ReputationRep:
    NO

ReputationRep:
    as long as they didn't shove their opinions and beliefs down my throat.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know where my partner stands politically. I don't discuss politics, I don't see it being an important discussion topic since I can't vote as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    what? in english please!
    I'd have to write you a short essay to explain adequately but essentially it means the 'realpolitik', for want of a better expression, behind most contemporary economic/political institutions/issues is self-interest. However realism is insufficient in explaining global trends in the post-modern era, beyond state interests 'identity' is shaping policy and a transnational civil society is forming, with associated multilateral (if not quite unilateral) norms and modes - some socially progressive, some little more than a propagation of globalisation e.g. 'global capitalism'

In the UK/Western European state politics - whilst the state needs to shrink, there is also a need for collective endeavour (e.g. the much maligned 'BIG society' as one such vestige)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be political banter!

ReputationRep:
    It depends how far your political views are apart. Someone moderately left with someone moderately right, I think you'd be alright. But a communist with a neo-nazi clearly isn't going to work, their view of the world is so different that even on non-political issues their not going to have a lot in common.

Like other people have said it wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't constantly try to convert me to their way of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a problem, as long as it doesn't interfere with their personality i.e. they're not completely in your face about it all the time, even at inappropriate times (been there unfortunately :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking about this question. I usually can keep my opinions to myself or lightly debate topics but underneath I can sometimes get extremely passionate and angry. I could easily go out with somebody who didn't talk about politics much but was different to me but I don't think I could handle some lefty who wouldn't shut up.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriends supports the green party. I consider (most) of my views to be fairly right wing though I support the welfare state and all that jazz. We had an argument when Fukushima went kaput but otherwise it's gravy

ReputationRep:
    //

ReputationRep:
    Socially conservative Communists aren't my type really...

ReputationRep:
    eg. if you're left wing could you date a right winger and vice versa?

i don't think i could, if they were really vocal about it i definitely don't think i could. if they were opposite, but didn't ever bring it up, i probably could.
    My ex was very far right-wing, and I'm incredibly left.
    He voted Conservative, but he would have voted BNP if he didn't think people would disown him for it. Major problem being in our relationship, that I am practically foreign, he said he wouldn't have gone out with me if 'I didn't look white.'
    He used to have major goes about EMA and benefits and crap like that.
    He once told our housemate something along the lines of 'Your dad works in a factory, therefore he should get paid minimum wage. But my dad is a GP therefore he deserves to get paid wayyyy more than he is currently getting, because he's actually doing something for the country.'
    I swear to God, never again.

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely, then I'd form a coalition with her and make cuts!

Oh, sorry, that's what Cameron did when got in a relationship with Clegg, my bad!

ReputationRep:
    Not now. Maybe later on in life when I realise the same stuff's going to happen whoever gets in (so I'm told) I won't be too fussed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.