Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could you go out someone who was politically opposite you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't really care, everybody is entitled to their own political view.

Plus I've never met a single person in my life that shares the same political view as me, so I expect my friends/partners not to share similar views as me.

Only exception is fascist/extremist views, I don't tolerate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Yes definitely, then I'd form a coalition with her and make cuts!

Oh, sorry, that's what Cameron did when got in a relationship with Clegg, my bad!
    haha i'd +1 if i could!

ReputationRep:
    If they could discuss things in a mature manner, sure. I enjoy politics and would hate to date someone who couldn't ever talk about the subject. I'd be happy for them to disagree with me as long as it's well-informed. I can't stand talking to people who tell me my right-wing tenancies (on the economy mainly) is all because I'm 'rich' (I'm not), because I don't care about others (I do, which is why I want a proper system in place) and hilariously because I'm 'ignorant'. No. If he/she was anything like these people, I couldn't bear it, I simply couldn't. I have nothing against people having alternative beliefs, but they're gonna have to discuss it maturely.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    eg. if you're left wing could you date a right winger and vice versa?

i don't think i could, if they were really vocal about it i definitely don't think i could. if they were opposite, but didn't ever bring it up, i probably could.
    Yup would make things interesting

ReputationRep:
    I would find it hard to date a Tory. A libertarian - no problem. But a Tory.. no thanks.

Then again, my life pretty much is politics atm (member of my local party, politics degree, writing a politics dissertation as we speak) etc..

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the person; some people can be overly aggressive about their views and dismissive of others' opinions, which would be intolerable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Don't think I've ever met a girl that's into politics, then again I'm quite young, but still.....
    Hi there. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    a relationship should never be based on these things (politics and other stuff) ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm British Indian. Went out with a white girl who supported the BNP.

At first I was a bit put off. But then she made me realise that I'm stealing her jobs and her women, and that to solve yob crime and the loudness of buses, I must deport myself.

Made me love her even more.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm even strongly into politics in all honesty :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty left wing, so I don't think I could tolerate a really die hard right wing Tory, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go out with a communist. I'm quite into politics and reading the news each morning and having some retard over my shoulder disagreeing with every single thing I think would be very annoying. I'd go out with a democrat (actually, I am doing so), so long as they weren't too hardcore.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it depends how strong their views are, but there is definitely one particular political party that would put me off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    eg. if you're left wing could you date a right winger and vice versa?

i don't think i could, if they were really vocal about it i definitely don't think i could. if they were opposite, but didn't ever bring it up, i probably could.
    who are the left wing party and right wing party?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, depends. If we completely disagree on everything then probably not, but if it was just a few issues then definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    who are the left wing party and right wing party?
    i put left wing right wing cause some people don't feel like they agree with any party at the mo, but i'd typically say labour and tory.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent yes. A BNP sympathiser no way.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely date someone with some political views I don't agree on (interesting debate/more to talk about), but anything tooo extreme and in the other direction - it just would not work! People generally find out where on the political spectrum someone lies before a relationship right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Sigh,what a poor attempt to seem like a lad.
    Chauvinism is dead mate.
    21st century, most chicks have balls bigger than yours.
    What a poor attempt to seem like an internet boss, try again. See, this is why I don't understand this forum, you always get one person who takes a joke literally.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Despite the well-documented appeal of jackboots and riding-crops: probably not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.