Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You sicken me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    That does not make them Anarchists though? People being tired of this government and being tired of societies with a state in general are two vastly different things.
    The former being a group much larger than the latter, as most people would agree that a state is needed to maintain the monopoly on coercion and to act as an arbiter for 'justice'.
    Anarchism has never been acknowledged in British politics [partially because of the nature of their own Ideology], and not many people are educated enough on the structure of an Anarchist society to know how it would work.

[Not to mention there is the obvious stereotype that most Anarchists are just rebelling for the sake of rebelling].
    I shouldn't have said "tired of this government", I should have just said "tired of government". No government is ever going to legislate to reduce its own power, hence the government will grow and grow. Any party that is acknowledged enough to get into actual power (say, Cons, Lab, Lib Dem, all the way down to Green, UKIP and BNP) is never going to reduce its own power and will just interfere more and more in people's lives. That is why many anarchists see violent revolution as the only true way to liberate the people.

ReputationRep:
    while I think that the hijacking of peaceful protests is a bad thing, I do think that it is partly justified. I mean if I wasn't Welsh and therefore being financially helped by the Welsh Assembly, then I certainly wouldn't be able to go to university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    I shouldn't have said "tired of this government", I should have just said "tired of government". No government is ever going to legislate to reduce its own power, hence the government will grow and grow. Any party that is acknowledged enough to get into actual power (say, Cons, Lab, Lib Dem, all the way down to Green, UKIP and BNP) is never going to reduce its own power and will just interfere more and more in people's lives. That is why many anarchists see violent revolution as the only true way to liberate the people.
    Unless a 'dissolve government' is [and should be] introduced into the polling system.

ReputationRep:
    Unless a 'dissolve government' is [and should be] introduced into the polling system.
    And it's that kind of thing that we want..

Although I personally don't really know where I stand. I doubt I am a true anarchist. I just think government interference is far too drastic in pretty much all walks of life.

ReputationRep:
    And it's that kind of thing that we want..

Although I personally don't really know where I stand. I doubt I am a true anarchist. I just think government interference is far too drastic in pretty much all walks of life.
    I would only advocate an anarchist system if it was brought about democratically and there was a percentage based segregation for those who actually want a government. [Depending on the size of that minority].

ReputationRep:
    I would only advocate an anarchist system if it was brought about democratically and there was a percentage based segregation for those who actually want a government. [Depending on the size of that minority].
    That is exactly what anarchism is all about. Everyone does exactly whatever they want. Everyone lives by their own laws.*

In a democracy, the views of the majority are forced upon the minority. If the majority wanted to kill all black people, would that be ok, simply because they are the majority? If they wanted to ban Islam, would that? If they wanted to legalise abortion, would that? It's simply wrong that the government of the country is decided by the majority just because there are more of them.

In an anarchy, those who wanted to form a government, could. They could do whatever they wanted.

*at this point, 99% of people will say "but what about criminals and justice?". This has been covered a million times - google it if you want to know the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Once we get 1 million protestors they gotta listen to us otherwise they're just dirty hypocrites!

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly what anarchism is all about. Everyone does exactly whatever they want. Everyone lives by their own laws.*

In a democracy, the views of the majority are forced upon the minority. If the majority wanted to kill all black people, would that be ok, simply because they are the majority? If they wanted to ban Islam, would that? If they wanted to legalise abortion, would that? It's simply wrong that the government of the country is decided by the majority just because there are more of them.

In an anarchy, those who wanted to form a government, could. They could do whatever they wanted.

*at this point, 99% of people will say "but what about criminals and justice?". This has been covered a million times - google it if you want to know the answer.
    That is why we have representative democracy.

ReputationRep:
    That is why we have representative democracy.
    That's completely irrelevant to what I said. If 60% of people vote for an MP, 40% of people are therefore not represented. Get it?

ReputationRep:
    Well I am a student and I haven't been protesting but I still don't have the money to pay for my degree. Besides, you picked ONE course out of how many? You ****tard.

ReputationRep:
    I was there today and i've got to say I did not see the majority of the violent outbreaks! I think the media have been very bias and focused on the stereotypical idea of a riot. It totally dimishes the point of the march.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polymorphing)
    I was there today and i've got to say I did not see the majority of the violent outbreaks! I think the media have been very bias and focused on the stereotypical idea of a riot. It totally dimishes the point of the march.
    Thought it would be like that considering everyone hates students -_- even still, we'd probably have more of a voice if everyone was peaceful!

(Original post by Stratos)
    Once we get 1 million protestors they gotta listen to us otherwise they're just dirty hypocrites!
    1 million protests is just 1 in 62 people in the UK. They have a much smaller mandate than the 10 million Conservative voters and the 57% of people The Guardian said supported the programme of cuts. (Source)

ReputationRep:
    This wasn't even a student protest, it was pretty much everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ch-London.html

If they spent half as much time working as they did bloody protesting, maybe they'd have enough money to pay for their crappy media studies degrees from Thames Valley.

It repulses me the level of self-entitlement these inbreds feel they have. The police should be given shot guns and let lose on these peasants.
    1. They're not all students
    2. I think the media is portraying the protests in a certain light. After seeing what actually happened at the November student protests, I distrust the media's reporting on other protests
    3. Attending a protest takes what 4-5 hours? (If you don't get kettled). If you work in a typical low wage job e.g £5 per hour, that's like £25 max. Hardly anything compared to the increase in tuition fees etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    1. They're not all students
    2. I think the media is portraying the protests in a certain light. After seeing what actually happened at the November student protests, I distrust the media's reporting on other protests
    3. Attending a protest takes what 4-5 hours? (If you don't get kettled). If you work in a typical low wage job e.g £5 per hour, that's like £25 max. Hardly anything compared to the increase in tuition fees etc

Well, let's face it. 99% of these waste of spaces will never get a job that pays more than 5 GBP an hour anyway. Why are they wasting 3 years at their crappy unis when they could just be working. This way, the kids who really deserve the funding don't have to suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    Well, let's face it. 99% of these waste of spaces will never get a job that pays more than 5 GBP an hour anyway. Why are they wasting 3 years at their crappy unis when they could just be working. This way, the kids who really deserve the funding don't have to suffer.
    Not all of students who protest are:

a) doing crappy courses
    b) will even be personally affected by higher fees
    c) will go into jobs earning minimum wage

But I agree with your sentiment in that the no of uni places should be cut by getting rid of crappy courses and sending them out to work

ReputationRep:
    The student protests have been a complete embarrassment to all involved. It's been a shambles from start to finish.

Why people continue to give immature 18 year olds a platform to speak is beyond me. Every single student that went on that march deserves to have their funding revoked.

Ungrateful ****s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    1 million protests is just 1 in 62 people in the UK. They have a much smaller mandate than the 10 million Conservative voters and the 57% of people The Guardian said supported the programme of cuts. (Source)
    I know but didn't the anti-gaddafi people say the same? After all it was only 1 million circa protestors who defied Gaddafi hence who are to decide whether he was legitimate?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.