Turn on thread page Beta

Turned Down for IB Internships, Alternatives? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to get into IB after I graduate (I love Finance)
    I am in first year and was turned down for many internships with IBs for this Summer.
    Other than a good academic record (on track for a 2.1/1st depending on Summer exams) I have very little to put on my CV, hence the internship applications.

I graduate in 2014, and I want to bulk up my CV by then.

What sort of alternative experience could I do this Summer that IBs would definitely appreciate? (and hopefully let me in next Summer?)

I have been offered a job to 'contribute' without pay to a spread betting website, it isnt very well known, however. Would this look good?

ReputationRep:
    You graduate in 2014 but you applied for internships for penultimate year students, and you're wondering why you got rejected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BulgeBracket)
    I am looking to get into IB after I graduate (I love Finance)
    I am in first year and was turned down for many internships with IBs for this Summer.
    Other than a good academic record (on track for a 2.1/1st depending on Summer exams) I have very little to put on my CV, hence the internship applications.

I graduate in 2014, and I want to bulk up my CV by then.

What sort of alternative experience could I do this Summer that IBs would definitely appreciate? (and hopefully let me in next Summer?)

I have been offered a job to 'contribute' without pay to a spread betting website, it isnt very well known, however. Would this look good?
    Try get a finance internship at a blue chip... I'm talking Exxon, Imperial Tobacco etc. Make it abroad and that's even better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironuts)
    Try get a finance internship at a blue chip... I'm talking Exxon, Imperial Tobacco etc. Make it abroad and that's even better.
    Do you know if any of these are still open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegaffer91)
    Do you know if any of these are still open?
    I find this question very annoying, as you're quite capable of looking yourself if you actually care enough. But to answer your lazy question, yes. There are still internship vacancies at some of the big 4, some IBs, and some blue chips. And that's the advertised vacancies. I'm sure there are others out there too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You graduate in 2014 but you applied for internships for penultimate year students, and you're wondering why you got rejected?
    I tried to avoid ones that said it straight out, I also applied to several spring weeks, but nothing.

My CV is crap in terms of experience hence the thread...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, I was considering this and wasnt sure if it would help. I will try to apply to some of these.

ReputationRep:
    I find this question very annoying, as you're quite capable of looking yourself if you actually care enough. But to answer your lazy question, yes. There are still internship vacancies at some of the big 4, some IBs, and some blue chips. And that's the advertised vacancies. I'm sure there are others out there too...
    Thanks for letting me know, I see your point about it coming across as a lazy question, but the way I see it, I am just trying to use all of my available ports of information. The question I asked required no extra work on your part, and potentially saved me lots of googling time. If I had of asked if you could tell me which firms are still recruiting, that would have been a different matter

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to bulk up my CV :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegaffer91)
    Thanks for letting me know, I see your point about it coming across as a lazy question, but the way I see it, I am just trying to use all of my available ports of information. The question I asked required no extra work on your part, and potentially saved me lots of googling time. If I had of asked if you could tell me which firms are still recruiting, that would have been a different matter
    You're a little late and to be honest, only a few firms would even think about considering first years for their summer internships. The reason they put this criterion on the applications is so that top performers can get offered graduate positions for when the candidates finish University.

Have you considered maybe cold-calling firms in your area? By this I mean, look at small PWM or Asset Management firms and try and get experience with them. It might not be 100% relevant if you're interested in IB, but it's still Finance and gives you something.

Otherwise, I would really focus on improving your knowledge of Finance. By that, I mean read a lot over summer and improve your CV. I did that during my first year summer and I still feel it wasn't enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    You're a little late and to be honest, only a few firms would even think about considering first years for their summer internships. The reason they put this criterion on the applications is so that top performers can get offered graduate positions for when the candidates finish University.

Have you considered maybe cold-calling firms in your area? By this I mean, look at small PWM or Asset Management firms and try and get experience with them. It might not be 100% relevant if you're interested in IB, but it's still Finance and gives you something.

Otherwise, I would really focus on improving your knowledge of Finance. By that, I mean read a lot over summer and improve your CV. I did that during my first year summer and I still feel it wasn't enough.
    I think you might have quoted the wrong person, I'm a second year

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind if I ask why you're interested in IB? I've never been able to come up with a proper answer myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqliu90)
    Do you mind if I ask why you're interested in IB? I've never been able to come up with a proper answer myself.

nobody really knows... just like lawyers and doctors... we bang on about trying to help companies, help people, save lives.... its just rationalising something subjective. I choose IB because I like to make money in a non-entrepreneurial way.. of course i prefer making money for myself, but its the process thats fun for me, even if the bank gets all of it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thor1000)
    nobody really knows... just like lawyers and doctors... we bang on about trying to help companies, help people, save lives.... its just rationalising something subjective. I choose IB because I like to make money in a non-entrepreneurial way.. of course i prefer making money for myself, but its the process thats fun for me, even if the bank gets all of it...
    Would that be your answer if asked the same question in an IB bank interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqliu90)
    Would that be your answer if asked the same question in an IB bank interview?
    No. I play it safe on motivation questions... I prefer they see my interest in finance through past examples and see that i'm likable and would be fun to work with... I go easy on passion and Ib being my dream since the day i was born bull****

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=c0nfus3d;30537237]I don't know how to bulk up my CV :emo:[/QUOTE

volunteering societies work experience initiative

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.