Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Graduate Entry or Standard Entry? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Everyone

Currently I am a Year 2 Psychology with Neuropsychology student and going to take GAMSAT and UKCAT this summer and Sep. I am going to apply for the graduate entry medicine. However, I am just not quite sure about the choice for UCAS to put in. I am thinking to put 1 choice as standard entry (5-yr one) as my safety net. The thing is I don't know is a standard entry medicine degree will be safe option for graduate (as there are many really brilliant AL result applicants and there is an entry for graduate). Also, I got really really bad AL result, but i am working really hard to get a first and good result for the UKCAT/GAMSAT.

In this case, How many standard entry programs should I put and which medical school's standard entry program loves Graduate students and don't quite look at the AL result :P

Thank you so much for reading this!! THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    if you apply for a 5 year course as a graduate normally afaik you'll be judged against other people with degrees, not the school leavers, so it won't be a "safe option" at all.

that said, it will be less competitive to enter and less demanding once you're there than the 4 year courses. really depends on your financial situation. 5 year courses next year are going to be insanely expensive as a graduate since we don't get tuition fee loans.

ReputationRep:
    Graduates are usually allowed apply the 5 year route, but email individual Unis to check your background etc with them.

Pro's: Standard entry is less competitive than graduate, as there are more places (Standard is brutally competitive too though, don't get me wrong), as graduate they take your degree into account so usually focus a little less on past grades; however you are measured against other graduate candidates.

Cons: There are no safety nets. Either route it hugely competitive, costly, competitive and they are not looking for reasons to accept they they are looking for reasons NOT to; because that's the only way to eliminate when faced with so many worthy applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. After I read many threads about graduate entry, it seems graduate entry is really tough to enter, with high UKCAT or GAMSAT marks. I am wondering where i can find out what medical schools are graduate-friendly (graduates had ore chance to be admitted!) Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as graduate friendly or not friendly. All 5 year courses except St George's admit graduates as well as A level students, for St George's they only allow grads to apply to their grad entry. It's more a matter of deciding based on your gamsat/ukcat and whether the uni looks at A levels or not and your degree class since a few accept 2:2 and Birmingham only takes 1sts. Also, some have quotas and only take certain numbers of grads on their 5 year course and some have no quota, as in they will take as many grads as they feel like based on the applications of that year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.