Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I got my provisional, now need some help [LONDON] Watch

ReputationRep:
    How/what books can I get that will help me pass my theory test? Do I consistently need to read the highway code? And can someone please recommend me the specific book's' I need to get to help my pass my theory..

Also would you guys advise it to actually start learning after I pass my theory so I have better awareness and understanding of the roads and signs?

Furthermore, can anyone who has passed in London recommend me a decent driving school / instructor (I live in north london), i'm afraid of going with the big companies as I heard they are more likely to con you out your money :confused:

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    They'll only con you out your money if you let them and be a pushover. You're the customer.

ReputationRep:
    Start lessons before doing your theory, you'll learn alot simply through your instructor and being on the road.

Can't say about a driving school as i'm doing mine with my friend's dad, i was quite lucky that i didn't have to worry about finding a reliable company or instructor.

Also i'm using the aa theory test book, it has all the questions and answers in it and i'm just going through each section see how well i do then go back to see what was wrong, along with using the highway code of course.

ReputationRep:
    Start driving whilst revising for your theory as it will give you practical experience to make sense of what you read. The only book you need is the Highway Code, which contains all the information which the theory test questions are based on. Simply reading the questions and answers only teaches you the answers, not the detailled reasoning behind WHY it's done. It's a very small and thin book and can be read in under two hours by an average reader, so why waste countless hours reading question books or playing about on DVD/online mock tests ? Once you have read the HC, test your knowledge with a DVD/online test, but you should be ready. As for the hazard clips, you will need a DVD or similar to practise how they work, but once you 'get' it, do the test. The only other book I would recommend would be 'DSA-The Driving Essentials' which pretty much details out exactly how you would be expected to drive on test, and how you should be taught by an instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Just get that book that has every single possible question and answer, Read it over 1 week and you should be ok , i did that and got 100%

for the hazard perception part i practised using the online tests (paid like 3 pounds)

ReputationRep:
    If you have an iPhone/iPod touch then download the AA theory app. All the questions in the book that costs £5 for only £1.79 or something.

Book some lessons first.

Make sure you get a driving instructor that doesn't pull you into the road every 15 minutes to talk to you. I went with supposedly the best in my town, and the only times I stopped were to pull into the side of the road and drive off again (a simple test procedure), doing my maneuvers and when in traffic/at lights.

All talking was done while driving.

Do any of your friends drive? Or do any instructors pick up people from your college/sixth form? (if you attend?) as then you may be likely to find out the popular ones, and ring around to find a good price

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.