Turn on thread page Beta

People opposing the cuts are what's wrong with this country! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    im not a Tory supporter you idiot.
    I see, so how come you deride people who are against cuts because you believe that the cuts are needed? In the context of this argument you may as well be a Tory, as you are supporting what they are doing, and blaming Labour for them 'needing' to, despite having very little understanding of it.

Furthermore, you seem to be accusing every single person who is against the cuts of having been in London yesterday, vandalising things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I see, so how come you deride people who are against cuts because you believe that the cuts are needed? In the context of this argument you may as well be a Tory, as you are supporting what they are doing, and blaming Labour for them 'needing' to, despite having very little understanding of it.

Furthermore, you seem to be accusing every single person who is against the cuts of having been in London yesterday, vandalising things.
    I am in no way a Tory.

I just do not see the point in causing more damage that we will have to pay for. Its obvious that they are not going to listen to a protest. They'll let it blow over and then make their next move.

Im supporting the cuts because cuts need to be made. I do not believe they should be as severe as they are but whether I like it or not, they will be severe as its down to the government and not us.

Its quite a simple concept to grasp. Tell me what the protests have achieved?

If anything they've just put a bigger financial burden on the taxpayer.

ReputationRep:

If anything they've just put a bigger financial burden on the taxpayer.
    But they haven't. Who do you think pays for the damage when the windows of shops/windows/hotels get smashed?

ReputationRep:
    But they haven't. Who do you think pays for the damage when the windows of shops/windows/hotels get smashed?
    those shops.

however, they also attacked government buildings and threw paint at police officers.

Not only will that need to removed from the streets, the officers uniforms will need to be replaced.

Its just a waste of time. The government will never listen.

ReputationRep:
    thrown out on the street?

if you lose your job in this country you can claim JSA.

Therefore, you will always have a roof over your head and money to feed yourself.

Why do people exaggerate?

There are people living in far worse conditions in other parts of the world.
    You think JSA is enough to live on - what if you have dependents to support?

ReputationRep:
    Consider this in the way that you might consider thievery in shops. You steal a packet of sweets, and it's the shop that loses out, right?

No. If they lose X amount of money a year to theft, they will raise prices to make up for it.

Damaging property = EVERYONE loses out.

(If you reply that this one off won't cause a rise in prices... Well wouldn't it be covered by insurance? Meaning that a considerable amount is being paid out by insurance for protest after protest. Insurance prices go up. Hooray!)

ReputationRep:
    those shops.

however, they also attacked government buildings and threw paint at police officers.

Not only will that need to removed from the streets, the officers uniforms will need to be replaced.

Its just a waste of time. The government will never listen.
    They listened over the poll tax...

Hell, even the student protests did actually have an affect in the end, the government actually found it quite difficult to get the fee rises through parliament... and then a fe high-profile Lib Dems announced that they might defect to Labour...

Peaceful protest on the otherhand... that does achieve nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Consider this in the way that you might consider thievery in shops. You steal a packet of sweets, and it's the shop that loses out, right?

No. If they lose X amount of money a year to theft, they will raise prices to make up for it.

Damaging property = EVERYONE loses out.

(If you reply that this one off won't cause a rise in prices... Well wouldn't it be covered by insurance? Meaning that a considerable amount is being paid out by insurance for protest after protest. Insurance prices go up. Hooray!)
    But if they raise their prices to off-set this negligible annual loss, consumers will only buy elsewhere, compelling the shop to lower their prices again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Are you a tory or labour?
    Labour, Blairite (I do not like Ed Miliband at all... but that does not make me some lassez-faire madman...)

ReputationRep:
    To an extent, I agree. I couldn't get my head around the march yesterday. Hundreds of thousands of people were protesting in favour of some elusive alternative that no one seemed to be able to explain beyond tired cliches about taxing the banks and the wealthy.

I think we've pretty much squeezed all we can out of the wealthy with recent rises in income and capital gains tax and as much as you might hate it, the financial sector is too important to our economy to render ourselves uncompetitive with populist tax hikes. You can debate where and when cuts might come, but to bury your head in the sand is to be unrealistic and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    a fe high-profile Lib Dems announced that they might defect to Labour...
    What? When did this happen? A councillor or two, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    What? When did this happen? A councillor or two, perhaps.
    Charles Kennedy was one of them...

ReputationRep:
    Charles Kennedy was one of them...
    If I recall correctly, that seemed to be an unfounded rumour circulated by Labour, which was adamantly denied by Kennedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    If I recall correctly, that seemed to be an unfounded rumour circulated by Labour, which was adamantly denied by Kennedy.
    Well he would, wouldn't he, if he had decided against it...

ReputationRep:
    I think the cuts with University education are a downright joke and being done in the worst possible way. My dept in uni is being cut substantially and whole departments are being cut too completely. Add that to the raise in fees and i think this is the ONE big mistake with the cuts. The education system in this country is fantastic and one of the most important parts of this country, yet they seem to be trying to destroy it. Joke.

ReputationRep:
    But if they raise their prices to off-set this negligible annual loss, consumers will only buy elsewhere, compelling the shop to lower their prices again...
    Insurance goes up for everyone, so there is a general price increase.

OR

Businesses do not put prices up. Major corporations can cope with the larger outgoings and survive, small independent businesses cannot, and they go out of business.

ReputationRep:
    Insurance goes up for everyone, so there is a general price increase.

OR

Businesses do not put prices up. Major corporations can cope with the larger outgoings and survive, small independent businesses cannot, and they go out of business.
    Well it was Thatcher who said 'sink or swim'... can't have your cake and eat it...

ReputationRep:
    Well it was Thatcher who said 'sink or swim'... can't have your cake and eat it...
    Nah, I think monopolies and big multinational companies are a good thing! But many people are anti them. Seems you aren't one of them..

Still.. Hooray, lets smash up the big business, which will end up in screwing over their smaller rival competition.

... I don't think that was what the protesters had in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think monopolies and big multinational companies are a good thing! But many people are anti them. Seems you aren't one of them..

Still.. Hooray, lets smash up the big business, which will end up in screwing over their smaller rival competition.

... I don't think that was what the protesters had in mind.
    So long as their profits are heavily-taxed, and pumped into public services/welfare, then I'm game tbh.

Welfare-capitalism, if you will...

ReputationRep:
    like said by Winston Churchill
    'a country trying to tax its way out of a recession is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick it up by the handle'

the cuts have the same effect

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.