Turn on thread page Beta

If you won a million pounds tomorrow, what would you do with it? watch

ReputationRep:
    How much would you spend on what?

You CANNOT say save it, it has to get spent!

Here is what I would get....

£400,000 - house

£50,000 - car

£10,000 shopping spree including a really good computer and dj mixer, cd players & speakers

£50,000 go out to a slum somewhere with a charity and give them some nice things like taps and houses

£190,000 build music studio to start up independent record label

£300,000 start up some kind of business possibly with someone else with a similar amount of money.

So what would you spend yours on?

ReputationRep:
    And would you give any of it to family, friends etc? I wouldn't!

ReputationRep:
    Buy your mum.

ReputationRep:
    Any serious answers?

ReputationRep:
    Similar threads have been done a few times.

Anyway, if for some reason I wasn't allowed to save or invest any of it, I'd probably give like 50K to each of my parents.
    I'd then buy somewhere to live in London, idk what that would cost, probably a lot.
    Then I'd fill it with stuff I wanted; a new computer, a massive TV, games consoles and games, a **** load of clothes and books, and DVDs. Enough to keep me amused for years.

ReputationRep:
    drive for HRT

ReputationRep:
    I would buy CDs of my digital music collection (which is vast).

Then I'd buy a car with the remains.

ReputationRep:
    I would give it all to charity

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do that much with it at first as I'm not a materialistic person. I'd just use it to pay off my car insurance, my Uni fees, and then would perhaps start my own business. I think generally I would just enjoy the feeling of power that would accompany the ownership of such wealth. I dare say I would probably give a fair bit to good causes too.

ReputationRep:
    Given the 'no saving' rules and assuming second properties would be classed as such:

£800k on central London flat around Moorgate. Probably get a whole two bedrooms for that sort of cash.
    £100k on cars
    £100k to pay off student loans, fund law school, spend on various bits and bobs, etc

But in reality:

£300k flat in London
    £50k car (probably an E90 M3 - decent all rounder)
    £30k to pay off student loan and fund law school
    £20k for fun stuff (nice watch, furnishing the flat, etc)
    £500k investment portfolio

£1 million isn't much money these days - couldn't really afford to have a cavalier attitude to spending.

ReputationRep:
    Nice house with a recording studio + about 20 guitars knowing how much i love the things, drum kit (even though i dont play)
    Then id take a sweet ass action holiday in the Amazon rains forrest, learn to scuba dive (obviously not in the amazon)
    go skiing and then with the money i have left, learn to become a proffessional base jumper/ sky diver/ those human kite crazy ass flying fools jumper.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Not much to start with, infact i'd be a bit scared. I'd be worried i'd suddenly have a load of fake friends who only wanted some of it so i may not even tell anyone.

What i would do is invest it ............ 1m invested in bonds, pibs, shares etc could earn you an income of £60k+ per year for life in interest / dividends etc.

Oh, i'd prob treat myself to a car / jetski though so i could join my mate who goes jet-ski ing a fair bit !!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.