Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got a question and it's do you always have to meet what universities ask for, I mean the grades they want?
    A person who's first languages is not english and have been in the country for about 4 years and is now studying A-level. So my question is do you always have to get what they want, or does it really depend on the person.

I came to the UK and started in year 11 and worked my ass of and already got like 10 GCSEs including english and maths at grade C or above and learnt english language as well. So I am now talking about A-Level grades.
    Btw I'm doing maths A2 and expecting an A-grade in that and also doing AS in chemistry, biology and physics. So I've planned to go university in 2012.
    I'm less likely to get top grades in those three science subjests, but they won't be below C anyway
    btw I want to do Optomery in university and they want AAB and I am not sure if I can get that.
    I want your opinion and also your advice if I have chosen a right course!!!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you aren't predicted the grades, it's unlikey they'll give you an offer in the first place. Although having said this there are many people who get offers with predicted grades less than the typical grade off because they've been in a 'bad' school, not had equal oppertunities or are foreign students. If your the course you want to pursue is optomery then the interviewing process (most medical courses do, although I'm not exactly sure about optomery, sorry) might work in your favour because if you do really well and they want to have you at the university then they'll be more lenient (as long as you seem intelligent enough to be able to handle the course obviously )

If you get an offer, but you miss the grades then you still might be able to accept your place. It depends entirely on how many other people have reached their scores. For example, if the university had space for 50 people on the course and only 45 of the people reached their offers then they would either give the places tpo the people who missed their offers narrowly, or open up them up for clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alan-93)
    Hi,

I got a question and it's do you always have to meet what universities ask for, I mean the grades they want?
    A person who's first languages is not english and have been in the country for about 4 years and is now studying A-level. So my question is do you always have to get what they want, or does it really depend on the person.

I came to the UK and started in year 11 and worked my ass of and already got like 10 GCSEs including english and maths at grade C or above and learnt english language as well. So I am now talking about A-Level grades.
    Btw I'm doing maths A2 and expecting an A-grade in that and also doing AS in chemistry, biology and physics. So I've planned to go university in 2012.
    I'm less likely to get top grades in those three science subjests, but they won't be below C anyway
    btw I want to do Optomery in university and they want AAB and I am not sure if I can get that.
    Thanks
    First of all you need to be predicted near enough what they want. It's no good applying to somewhere asking for ABB if your predicted CCC. Some of the top universities wont consider you at all if your not predicted the right grades e.g. Imperial, UCL or Oxbridge. However others will consider you if your predicted slightly less than they ask for. Some may look at your personal statement to decide if you should get an offer or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alan-93)
    Hi,

Thanks
    Who taught you English? It's 'arse' over here. :p:

The answer is not necessarily, but assume you do so you're not banking on not getting the grades and still getting a place. There is an optometry course that asks for ABB, at the moment anyway.

As for whether or not you've chosen the right course, I don't have a clue. I like it, but you say nothing about why you've chosen it.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauriC)
    If your the course you want to pursue is optomery then the interviewing process (most medical courses do, although I'm not exactly sure about optomery, sorry)
    Only three of the optometry unis interview, so less than half of them.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on exactly how competitive the course is, and what kind of competition you're up against. Impossible to truly say...

ReputationRep:
    Well i got into psych at liverpool on BBC when the requirements were AAB. God knows how, although i did have several friends rejected from the same course.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Unis will consider extenuating circumstances that mean you haven't achieved the grades you're capable of. But since your problem is your English skills, and the course you'll be studying will be taught in English, I think they're unlikely to accept you. If they do accept you then you'll struggle even more and ultimately may end up failing - which they don't want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.