Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need Advice: Retaking/deferring final year part way through Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm in a total pickle at the moment.

I'm in my third and final year and work is piling up so much that I don't feel that I can get it done, or at least get it done to an adequate level.

Is there any possibility that I could defer my final year? Does this happen?

My dissertation is due on the 8th April and I don't feel that I can get it done in time, I have further deadlines for the 1st April and 2 exams to take after that. Yes, I should have started work long ago, and I had originally planned to dedicate this semester to hard work, but my financial situation severely worsened at the start of February (due to a computer error on the university's system which meant my bursary wasn't paid to me) and wasn't really sorted out until a couple of weeks ago. During this period of time all I could do was worry about money - stopped going to classes, stopped doing assignments, and all of these things are piling up and I honestly just feel like crying.

I haven't retaken a year before, if that makes any difference.

I just need to know if my university (LJMU) would allow me to defer at all or if I am monumentally screwed.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You would need to discuss this with your uni. Some have strict rules over what you can do in your third year. The sooner you talk to them the better.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, Juno

I thought as much... went to see if I could talk to somebody today but, it being a Sunday, looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll continue doing as much work as I can until I get a definitive answer from the uni.

Hopefully things get better... feeling overwhelmed right now, like I've got the whole world on my shoulders.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I would still advise sending an email to your tutor, if you have one, or anyone you trust. If you leave it until tomorrow that's only a week before hand in date and they may have deadlines for when you need to notify them of such things. They may not have deadlines, but in that case it still wouldn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a personal tutor, so I've contacted the general student enquiries e-mail, explaining my situation and my want to repeat the year/semester, in the hope that they can point me in the right direction.

The only other person I can think to contact for advice would be a lecturer/tutor at uni who I've had for multiple classes over the year and I get along with very well, but I don't know if it would be proper to contact him about my issues when it is one of his assignments that I have to hand in on Friday and he isn't a student counselor or anything. What do you think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by artos44ri)
    I don't have a personal tutor, so I've contacted the general student enquiries e-mail, explaining my situation and my want to repeat the year/semester, in the hope that they can point me in the right direction.

The only other person I can think to contact for advice would be a lecturer/tutor at uni who I've had for multiple classes over the year and I get along with very well, but I don't know if it would be proper to contact him about my issues when it is one of his assignments that I have to hand in on Friday and he isn't a student counselor or anything. What do you think?
    I would say yes, but maybe include something about how if he can't help can he advise you who can.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I sent an e-mail to that tutor, explaining that I needed some advice/to be pointed in the right direction - telling him my situation and my wishes for repeating the year/semester, but also letting him know that if he can't give any advice or he doesn't think it's his place to, I understand. Also, I made it clear that I wasn't asking for an extension.

Thanks for the help again, Juno. I'll continue to get work done and hopefully I'll have e-mail replies early tomorrow morning so I can go into uni and get some face to face contact with the right people to talk to about this.

ReputationRep:
    Update: I've spoken to both my programme leader and a university counselor.

My programme leader was understanding of the situation, and has discouraged me from retaking my third year, although it is a possibility, because it would require me to start all over again due to the programme going through changes next year, so it'd waste my good marks from last semester. He has, as an alternative, suggested that I seek extensions for deadlines, so I've e-mailed my dissertation supervisor to ask for my deadline to be pushed back. The programme leader has said he can overrule the supervisor if need be. Just waiting for the e-mail back to see what my supervisor says. My programme leader also suggested pushing another deadline back (one for the 1st April) but I told him that I could get that done in time and that the dissertation deadline should be enough.

All in all, feeling a bit happier about things and the feeling of constant dread in my stomach has shrunk. It means I won't have to rattle out my dissertation in a week, at least. Still have 3,500 words to write for Friday but at least I don't have to dive right into the dissertation as soon as that's over.

My advice to anyone in a similar situation: talk about it, don't bottle it up. If you have a valid reason for your workload piling up, talk to your university early and they will be understanding and help you get through it.

Edit: Just had confirmation that my supervisor is fine to grant me an extension because it has my programme leader's blessing, so my dissertation deadline has been pushed back from 8th April to the 29th

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.