Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive herd from many newly qualified doctors that it is common to go into investment banking becasue firms believe in the transferable skills. Can someone please tell me if this is true? and what the route is after doing the the degree in order to become an investment banker.

ReputationRep:
    Is it? I find that quite surprising, never knew it to be that common.

From what I've heard (and I may be wrong) it comes across badly to employers because it shows that they don't commit to what they've set out to do for so many years. I mean spending all those years in Med school and then ditching the field to do banking hardly comes across that well.

Like I said I may be wrong though, that's just what I've heard because I remember a similar sort of question being asked at a talk.

ReputationRep:
    I guess those people will be wasting an opportunity to help the society by serving just because they are purely interested in money!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's common or not, but there aren't going to be very many med students going into IB after having done a med degree for 5/6 years, when they could have studied something like finance/economics for 3/4 years (to help them get into IB), as that would be a waste of time.

Especially as they wouldn't be able to practice medicine if they wanted to change from the banking profession, as they would still have to train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbunhead)
    I guess those people will be wasting an opportunity to help the society by serving just because they are purely interested in money!

(Original post by Bektas)
    You want to go from a very very respected profession to a banker?
    Although money is a factor i genuinly find shares and forex etc to be interesting and how they can be affected by external factors, then again im still doing a levels and i find surgery and medicine interesting aswell I just wanted to see if there was an option of switching if i find the career is not for me.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Medicine? I always thought it was Physics Ph.D's that ran away to join the IB crew

ReputationRep:
    if you want to be looked down on by both doctors and the bankers you'll be working with, as well as being happy with costing the nhs hundreds of thousands of pounds for nothing, then this sounds like a fantastic idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Really? Medicine? I always thought it was Physics Ph.D's that ran away to join the IB crew
    HAHAHA yh thats true.

ReputationRep:
    Can I do a medical degree, then apply to some Investment banks but still keep my job in an NHS hospital if I get turned down?

ReputationRep:
    My economics teacher at school did Medicine but went into banking. She got a job as an analyst but I think her being German helped.
    I was surprised when I heard too but then again some investment bankers do really weird degrees, there was an investment banker at my internship who did Zoology and animal psychology.

ReputationRep:
    You've been reading too much mergersandinquisitions. If you want to be a banker, do something more relevant instead of spending lots of time and money becoming someone much more respectable.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that they wasted the resources.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.