Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any advice? I have unconditional offers not sure which to choose.
    I am not desperate for a hectic social life but want a friendly atmosphere.
    Which uni offers the best course and opportunities and reputation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is Oxford not head and shoulders above both the others??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_90)
    Is Oxford not head and shoulders above both the others??
    The poster is asking about Oxford Brookes University not Oxford University.

The poster has offered three well matched choices.

I think Hull is the probably the strongest university and department but it has become very unfashionable due in part to the City of Hull.

Keele also has location issues.

If it was me, I would go to Brookes.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a bit of a stigma with Oxford Brookes - being an ex poly.

Not sure how well it is regarded when applying for jobs or internships ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The poster is asking about Oxford Brookes University not Oxford University.

The poster has offered three well matched choices.

I think Hull is the probably the strongest university and department but it has become very unfashionable due in part to the City of Hull.

Keele also has location issues.

If it was me, I would go to Brookes.
    University of Hull is in Cottingham anyway, which is a really nice area.
    OP, don't let the media put you off Hull, it really isn't that bad at all. Well, most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coco62)
    Is there a bit of a stigma with Oxford Brookes - being an ex poly.

Not sure how well it is regarded when applying for jobs or internships ...
    Yes, I would not deny the ex-Poly factor is there but all three institutions come with baggage.

Hull certainly had a better reputation in the past. Its location has made recruiting students difficult and its quality has almost certainly dropped. On the other hand, older people will remember its glory days with Philip Larkin as librarian. Keele has location issues as well and before 1992 there is no doubt that Keele and Brunel were generally regarded as the two weakest universities. Plenty would say Keele has improved since then. However it is still somewhere outside Stoke. Brookes has always been the poshest of the ex-Polys and I know of a number of solicitors, including some younger ones, who graduated from there. I am not sure that Brookes faculty is any weaker than the others, not least because you don't find any difficulty in recruiting to Oxford.

The question you pose isn't a simple would I be better going to UCL or London Met question?

Have you visited, would you be able to visit all three, the cities as well as the campuses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    University of Hull is in Cottingham anyway, which is a really nice area.
    OP, don't let the media put you off Hull, it really isn't that bad at all. Well, most of it.
    There is no problem with the area of the OPs three choices. Cottingham, Keele and Headington are all nice areas.

ReputationRep:
    I think Hull has better reputation than other two.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - yes decision is quite difficult as teh locations vary considerably.
    Oxford Brookes - great vibrant city with a buzz and variety but expensive.
    Keele - lovely rural location but not easy to enjoy without your own transport - local towns a bit drab and uninspiring.
    Hull - Cottingham and uni location fine but is the area safe?
    Finding it really hard to see beyond the self promotion to appreciate the comparable quality of teaching and support.

Comments from any undergraduates at any of these unis would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    go for Hull it is fairly well established as a law school and they do knock out alot of succesfull graduates

ReputationRep:
    heyy i have offers from keele and brookes (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tracelessbygone)
    Are you going to the dreaming chimneys of Stoke on Trent or chez Robert Maxwell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coco62)
    Thanks - yes decision is quite difficult as teh locations vary considerably.
    Oxford Brookes - great vibrant city with a buzz and variety but expensive.
    Keele - lovely rural location but not easy to enjoy without your own transport - local towns a bit drab and uninspiring.
    Hull - Cottingham and uni location fine but is the area safe?
    Finding it really hard to see beyond the self promotion to appreciate the comparable quality of teaching and support.

Comments from any undergraduates at any of these unis would be really appreciated.
    Can only comment on Hull. The city really isn't that bad at all. The area surrounding the uni and the city centre are nice and I never felt like it wasn't safe. There are a few areas which aren't so great (e.g. East Hull in my opinion) but you are unlikely to ever be in those areas. Uni revolves around Cottingham (in first year), campus and the city centre which are all fine.

ReputationRep:
    Im currently at Hull in my final year. Its ok, the citys not bad at all. It has its rough places, but so does every town. Uni is good as well.

I cant wait to finish though, Ive had enough of reading law journals, text books and statute books.

ReputationRep:
    Currently studying Law at Oxford Brookes so I can only comment on that, but the course seems decent and I'm actually really enjoying it. The best aspect though is definitely the city; it's brilliant and varied, plenty of places to go out, and I just can't see myself getting bored of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Law finalist at Hull also. Whilst it's true that Hull has it's bad parts (as does everywhere) I feel that Uni campus/halls are not in this area. More importantly however, I can't commend the Law school enough, the lecturers and tutors are very passionate about their subjects (or at least the ones who I have come into contact with are) and especially in the final year I feel that tutors have gone above what would be expected in order to help students. The Uni overall is nice, it has good transport links and Hull isn't a bad night out especially for students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Are you going to the dreaming chimneys of Stoke on Trent or chez Robert Maxwell?
    Thanks , I did get that impression on my visit day. have just been leaning towards Keele as it offers flexibiity in to a dual honours - useful in case I find the course too difficult. Do you know of any rescue strategies for failing first year law students at Hull? Not the sort of question you want to make on a visit day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Currently studying Law at Oxford Brookes so I can only comment on that, but the course seems decent and I'm actually really enjoying it. The best aspect though is definitely the city; it's brilliant and varied, plenty of places to go out, and I just can't see myself getting bored of it.
    Can you give a bit of an overview on the quality of lecturing and how supportive the tutors are? Also on how easy it is to get placements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankfurt)
    Can only comment on Hull. The city really isn't that bad at all. The area surrounding the uni and the city centre are nice and I never felt like it wasn't safe. There are a few areas which aren't so great (e.g. East Hull in my opinion) but you are unlikely to ever be in those areas. Uni revolves around Cottingham (in first year), campus and the city centre which are all fine.
    AS itis not really a campus uni how sociable is it once you finish first year ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tracelessbygone)
    Fantastic - have you decied to go to either - if so which one and why?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.