Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting a second opinion about wisdom teeth Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to see an oral surgeon the other day to talk about the possibility of getting my wisdom teeth removed, and she recommended that I had them all removed before they started coming though - the reason being that they're all badly impacted and the procedure will be a lot easier while they still had no roots. But I'm not too sure...especially as it'll be under general anaesthetic :s How normal is it to seek a second opinion on something like this? And has anyone else had similar experiences? I'd be grateful for any advice

ReputationRep:
    had all mine out under local no sweat, but then I am a bit Tarzan.. :mrt:

didn't seek a 2nd opinion (as the 1st one cost enough) but I don't see the harm in getting a 2nd opinion, provided you can get one affordably?

ReputationRep:
    A second opinion?

Are you sure that's... wise?

[

ReputationRep:
    If it's the anaesthetic part you're worried about, you would be able to have a chat with the anaesthetist beforehand and discuss what methods would be best.

(Original post by *~anna~*)
    I went to see an oral surgeon the other day to talk about the possibility of getting my wisdom teeth removed, and she recommended that I had them all removed before they started coming though - the reason being that they're all badly impacted and the procedure will be a lot easier while they still had no roots. But I'm not too sure...especially as it'll be under general anaesthetic :s How normal is it to seek a second opinion on something like this? And has anyone else had similar experiences? I'd be grateful for any advice
    If you went as far as seeing a maxfax surgeon to ask about getting your wisdom teeth removed why the feck would you then want a second opinion when told to get them removed?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Roots are bad when it comes to wisdom teeth, as they often get tangled up in the giant nerve that runs around your jaw. If they take out a tooth that has roots near or around the nerve, there is a much higher chance of damage to the nerve that could cause permanent numbness / tingling on the side of your face / mouth. Not sure how they can tell the teeth are badly impacted though, especially as they don't have roots yet...

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the general, I had one last week and while I know it's different for everyone from my experience it's nothing to worry about. Also, it'd be much less stressful to be unaware of what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    Just get them out.
    It saves getting the other ones out in the future.

It's not as bad as everyone says it is. I'd have mine out again...except I don't have them anymore. You get to eat yogurt and jelly

Whatever you do, do not leave it too late. Do not let the teeth come through and get infected! That happened to me and the pain from that was worse than getting them out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.