Turn on thread page Beta

To what extent is gender a construct? watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, a lot of feminists believe that gender differences are almost entirely a result of societal constructs, such as the way we bring up boys differently to girls, the way the media perpetuates these images, and so forth. They then use this theory as a reason for the gender pay difference, and other perceived injustices between genders.

I would be interested to hear from any feminists why they hold this view, particularly as there is a lot of scientific evidence which disproves this theory. Not only does the case of David Reimer suggest that this theory is all wrong, but even more obvious science, such as testosterone and estrogen studies, shows that this is just all crazy feminist nonsense.

Your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    It is crazy feminist nonsense, usually promulgated by confused crew cutted ladies in dungarees.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit of both. Males and females naturally tend to have different traits. "Tend to" meaning that it's not always the case, and a female may exhibit traits more common among men and still be completely female.

But society reinforces this to some extent, and encourages men and women to take up traditional gender roles even if they don't fit with their personality. Also there's some stuff like associating certain colours with a gender that's probably completely down to society.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping that some people might disagree with me. If no one does, it makes this thread rather pointless.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.