Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have a godparent? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have any godparents?
    No
    30.77%
    Yes - I have one
    9.40%
    Yes - I have two
    35.04%
    Yes - I have three
    21.37%
    Yes - I have four
    3.42%

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering really
    Do you have a godparent, and if you do do you know them well? do you see them a lot? what relation are they to you? (ie friend of your mum/dad?)

poll to follow...

ReputationRep:
    Well I was baptised, so I assume so :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    One auntie from my dad's side and one uncle from my mum's. Both are married with children. So if anything ever happened to my parents, I would have 2 different families with children about the same age as me that would potentially take me in.

ReputationRep:
    I have four Godparents. One couple are my Grandmother's Sister and Husband (whom I have never met) and the other are my Parents' close Friends who have no children and spend most of Their time travelling - so I rarely see Them either

ReputationRep:
    nope i don't.

ReputationRep:
    No option for five godparents???
    But I only see one really, and even then every 3-6 months or so.

ReputationRep:
    My brother was baptised, and has godparents.
    I was not.

Somebody hold me?

ReputationRep:
    I do. I see her all the time as she is also my aunt. Kinda grew up with her. I love my godmother. I love the idea of a godparent. When its done properly at least. I hate those people who baptize children and then never see them again. It's supposed to mean something. And not so much all this Christian stuff. It's supposed to mean that you love this child and will be with it when it needs you.

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 - all family friends. One used to live down the road from us, one was at school with my mum and one is that one's brother-in-law

ReputationRep:
    I have two. My godmother is my aunt (my Dad's sister-in-law), who I see fairly often. My Godfather is my Mum's brother, who I haven't seen for years and has pretty much cut off contact with us. My two sisters and I were christened at the same time (I was six) and their godparents were uncles/aunts, and we all have a godmother and godfather each. I don't consider myself a Christian now but I think it was still a nice way to do it

ReputationRep:
    My sisters have, but i don't.

ReputationRep:
    My aunt and uncle, and their daughter (who is a lot older than me- she was 21 when I was born). I didn't know she was my godmother until last year though... no one had ever mentioned it!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To my knowledge I have two, my dad's two brothers.

ReputationRep:
    I have 3.

2 were really good friends of my mother but I haven't seen them since I was 7 years old. The other is my aunt and I haven't had any contact with her since I was 16 (my choice.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I have two. My godmother is my aunt (my Dad's sister-in-law), who I see fairly often. My Godfather is my Mum's brother, who I haven't seen for years and has pretty much cut off contact with us. My two sisters and I were christened at the same time (I was six) and their godparents were uncles/aunts, and we all have a godmother and godfather each. I don't consider myself a Christian now but I think it was still a nice way to do it
    By the way, why si David Tennant holding up that sign in your sig? It sent me into fits of giggles! I know, I'm so mature!

ReputationRep:
    There needs to be a 'don't know' option. lol

ReputationRep:
    I had three; a godfather and two godmothers. But sadly I only have my godmothers now, as my godfather died

ReputationRep:
    I was asked my by sister to be the godfather for my nephew but I was only 17 at the time so obviously declined. As for myself, no; I have none.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have just the one whose a friend of my mum's. I get cards from her but I don't remember ever meeting her (unless I was really young).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.