Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you have a godparent? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you have any godparents?
    No
    30.77%
    Yes - I have one
    9.40%
    Yes - I have two
    35.04%
    Yes - I have three
    21.37%
    Yes - I have four
    3.42%

ReputationRep:
    I have 2, my grandmother and my Dad's cousin. His daughter is my best friend and my Dad is her godfather. We get the best presents in the family!

ReputationRep:
    me and my sister each have 3. my mum has 2 sisters so we have one of them each as a godmother (my sister has the older one, i have the younger one and we see them quite a lot as we are quite a close family). then i have another auntie as my godmother and her husband as my godfather (on my mums side, technically my mums cousin i think) were close to them but dont see them as often as they dont live near us but they usually turn up for family events like birthdays, christmas, weddings, etc.

my sisters other godmother and godfather we dont see at all anymore as she was a friend of my mums and her husband, but they have divorced a few years ago and we just grew apart from them over the years, dont even think mum talks to them much anymore. dont even know why they picked them as my sisters because she has always been very close to a different friends(is godmother to their son) and we grew up with them as like a second family,so would have been a better choice imo, but i think i definately got the better choices of godparents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    By the way, why is David Tennant holding up that sign in your sig? It sent me into fits of giggles! I know, I'm so mature!
    It was on Comic Relief's 24 Hour Panel People thing, on Blankety Blank, I think. I can't remember exactly what the question was, but I was practically crying watching that bit. My friend took the screenshot.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have a godfather, who I love very much but rarely see, since he lives in Australia! He's my dad's older brother and a very good godfather

My godmother sadly died during my GCSEs. I saw her a lot but see now that I didn't value her enough when she was alive She was a very good godmother. She was my aunt's sister-in-law and from my mum's Sri Lankan hometown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -kit-kat-)
    oh sorry!

I dont really know how godparents work...I assumed it was like grandparents, so the max you can have is four, like two on each side of the family...
    Have I got this wrong?
    I don't think there's any limit on it, but I think the church reccomends you have two, one from each gender I think...
    But my mum had two miscarriges before me and 'didn't want to miss anyone out', but now I've got two sisters, one with three and one with four so I suppose it evens out I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    I have two - my mum's friend, who I haven't seen since 2005, and my dad's friend, who I have never met that I can remember. Get £10 from him and his wife every Christmas though.

ReputationRep:
    Sirius black is my godfather

ReputationRep:
    No thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -kit-kat-)
    oh sorry!

I dont really know how godparents work...I assumed it was like grandparents, so the max you can have is four, like two on each side of the family...
    Have I got this wrong?
    Classic number for girls is 2 godmothers & 1 godfather, boys = 2 godfathers/1 godmother.

But nothing's classic nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Yes my Uncle and Auntie, tbh they haven't really been particularly great an Uncle and Auntie but then that doesn't bother me too much.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have any - my parents arn't into the whole baptise/christen thing.

People often say its so if something happens to your parents or whatever then your god-parents would look after you... My family would have just done that anyway, no need for the title!

My gf has a godmother who she has regular contact with.

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea is that you have 3 godparents - a woman and two men for a boy and a man and two women for a girl.

I have 3 godparents - 2 women, 1 man. My godfather is my uncle and one of my godmothers is his wife (and my mum's friend from school). My other godmother was just a family friend.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have two of my own and then my brother has a few as well...
    The two that I think are mine include my mum's best friend forever and another good friend who was mum's neighbour and good friend and I see them regularly. I think my brother has another one of mum's good friends who we haven't actually seen for quite a while...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are my older brother and sister (there's quite a bit of an age gap). The idea was that if something happened to my parents both of them could contribute to looking afer me (and my younger siblings), and one of them could probably take us in.

Now however, I am an adult so it kind of doesn't matter any more. As far as my parent's will goes, if something happened to them I'm now the one who would look after the younger two as much as possible, of course with the help of the older two.

But about the actualy question... Yes I see them all of the time because they're my siblings I'm an Antie with 2 nieces and a nephew now too
    Big, and close family

ReputationRep:
    i think its absolutely hypocritical for parents to baptise their kids into a faith they have no intention to practice nor teach to their kids.

my mate, who accidently got pregs by her live in bf (as opposed to the rich married guy she was also simultaneously banging) recently had teh baby's christening as a tradition, in a catholic church. no-one knew any of the responses to the basic mass, and everyone took communion regardless of their religion/lack thereof.

if you want a 'baby naming party' by all means have one. but having a christening solely as an excuse to have a party, dress fancy and have the novelty of choosing godparents is making a mockery of christianity.

i know im gonna be negged by all the 'chr-easters' - 'christians ' who only attend church for christmas and/or easter, weddings, christenings and funerals but you know what? the church is open the other 50 sundays a year, maybe you should try going :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swarley Stinson)
    My brother was baptised, and has godparents.
    I was not.

Somebody hold me?

(Original post by Becca94)
    My sisters have, but i don't.
    :hugs: I'm in the same position. My two brothers was baptised, then I was born and my has godparents dad decided to tell my mum not to baptise me because he wasn't religious =/

ReputationRep:
    No my parents refused to baptise me, my dad didn't want to force his Catholic upbringing on me. I'm semi-religious anyway though and might get baptised when I'm older, in church when I've watched someone get baptised they've chosen someone as a kind of godparent equivalent that is supposed to help guide them if they need spiritual help.

My mum however is godmother to several children who she still buys birthday and christmas presents for.

ReputationRep:
    I have godparents and they have a daughter. Does that make her my godsister?? (Please say yes!)

ReputationRep:
    My mum's school friend on one side. She's married with a family, but lives and works abroad, so see them about once or twice a year. I did have a friend of my dad's on the other side, but I see neither now so...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.