Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

So I found out today I didn't get on the MA Social Work course I applied for.
    I'm so so upset, I stupidly pinned all my hopes on this, and set about planning out the next two years on the course (saving money and whatnot)
    Now, i'm crushed /gutted / distraught / melodramatic / woe is me etc, but determined!

I only applied to one uni, but now I'm thinking of applying through UCAS to a couple of others instead, and possibly see if there will be anything via clearing?

Or I could take another year out, do more voluntary work in the sector, and ty again next year.

Hmm, decisions. How many people are in my situation? Applied to one course, been rejected and are now thinking of plan B's?

And what are those 'plan B's' if you are going down that optional route?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyunicorn133)

So I found out today I didn't get on the MA Social Work course I applied for.
    I'm so so upset, I stupidly pinned all my hopes on this, and set about planning out the next two years on the course (saving money and whatnot)
    Now, i'm crushed /gutted / distraught / melodramatic / woe is me etc, but determined!

I only applied to one uni, but now I'm thinking of applying through UCAS to a couple of others instead, and possibly see if there will be anything via clearing?

Or I could take another year out, do more voluntary work in the sector, and ty again next year.

Hmm, decisions. How many people are in my situation? Applied to one course, been rejected and are now thinking of plan B's?

And what are those 'plan B's' if you are going down that optional route?

Thanks
    I don't know what University you applied for but I would guess that Universities also offer the course. And most don't have closing dates.

Another years experience working would be invaluable especially in this field. It would certainly be something that would be looked favourably on if you applied to the same University next year.

ReputationRep:
    If you've already got/about to get your undergrad degree, no harm in spending a year improving your CV, doing internships etc and try again next year for MA applications. I'd rather do that than accept whatever lower tier university is available.

Also, I've never heard of charcoal curing farts!

ReputationRep:
    lmao, someone's been reading my other threads!
    Yeah, according to holland and barratt it does! (don't ask, not for me but some male housemates informed me that they work)
    Apparantly the course I went for had in the region of 600 ish applicants, and just 33 places! So i'm not kicking myself too hard, just disappointed really.

Thanks also sweets7, I think i'm leaning to getting more experience and trying again next year, I really had my heart set on this course.
    I think i'll ring the uni on monday and see what advice they can give on why I didn't make the cut, and also try to beg a little bit

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I definitely think a few more months experience will be the best idea. You could try applying to the Ucas ones in September, right when Ucas opens. Given that they get so many applicants, it really is worth getting in first.

As for clearing, I don't think it really applies for these courses (wish it did)... I put an application in to Durham ever so slightly after the deadline, and they said even tho you meet the requirements, we simply don't entertain late applications because we already have such a high number.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.