Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do men abuse me in the street? watch

Is this something that happens to girls a lot? I know that some people (who aren't my friends or don't know that I'll find out what they said) consider me pretty, and I'm quite sure that I'm not unusually ugly or overweight. I get the usual leering from men but also aggressive comments like 'change your dumb face'; 'your smile is fake' or sometimes they'll call me ugly e.g. 'did you walk into a house?' kinda thing. Even if I am ugly in their opinion it's vicious and unnecessary to comment on it in the street, so these aren't people who deserve respect, but it gets to me anyway. Is it possible that I'm giving off aggressive or 'vulnerable' signals myself? I don't really get this at home, but since I started uni it will happen perhaps once a week. Is this something to do with being in a 'posher' area (Oxford) and thus looking worse by comparison with the other students? How should I respond? I don't want to sink to their level and start shouting back but it makes me really angry that someone else is trying to knock my self-confidence for no reason, and succeeding.

ReputationRep:
    so, did you walk into a house?

ReputationRep:
    What a nasty place that sounds like.

ReputationRep:
    'Change your dumb face' :rofl2:

I have to use that some time! King of all insults!

EDIT: Oh and I'm sorry for your troubles. Take my advice and just kick them all in the face and say 'Change your dumb face'. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I thought this was a troll thread on rape.
    What does that tell you about TSR.

But to OP:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJ...na_Hate_03.jpg

ReputationRep:
    These guys are just dicks, ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite strange. I assume they're just drunk and randomly mouthing off?

ReputationRep:
    They're nothing more then complete dicks, ignore them.

I'm living in Oxford now... And I've never had anything like that said to me, though I do feel a lot less comfortable/less perfect about my looks.

It isn't very helpful - but try not to let it get to you, it isn't like they are going to remember you and you see them ever again - and you know there is nothing wrong with your face. Those guys are gits.

ReputationRep:
    They're probably jealous. Lamp them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnicare)
    For some reason I thought this was a troll thread on rape.
    What does that tell you about TSR.
    :ditto:

OP, were the people that insulted you under 13? 'Change your dumb face' is just.......:teehee:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.