Turn on thread page Beta

weight exercises for explosive power and strength ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, well i am in the middle of losing weight but i am doing weight exersises in the gym along with my cardio. I have pretty much just been doing bench presses, squats, deadlifts, ect but i feel i could be getting more out of it. I need to lose roughly 2.5 stone of fat by september, tone up, and be powerfull and strong. Both in the sense of being actually powerfull and strong whilst being fast and quick of the mark (acceleration). What kind of variation could i add to my workout. OHH and i have weak knees so anything that would not stress them too much would be great (the squats and dealifts are hurting tbh). Cheers

ReputationRep:
    What's your routine of training ?

Your diet ?

Incorporate HIIT into your training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    What's your routine of training ?

Your diet ?

Incorporate HIIT into your training.
    umm my diet has been pretty strict to be honest. I have been eating oats with skimmed milk or maybe mixed with some fat free yogurt for breakfast, for lunch i ussualy eat chicken, brown rice, and salad. dinner ussualy involves either chicken or fish with salad veg and brown rice lol. Oh and protien shakes after workouts too. My workout routine is pretty all over the place at the moment, ussualy cardio is on the rowing machine and weights are just bench presses, squats, deadlifts. the basics really. It does not sound good lol and i need to some structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    umm my diet has been pretty strict to be honest. I have been eating oats with skimmed milk or maybe mixed with some fat free yogurt for breakfast, for lunch i ussualy eat chicken, brown rice, and salad. dinner ussualy involves either chicken or fish with salad veg and brown rice lol. Oh and protien shakes after workouts too. My workout routine is pretty all over the place at the moment, ussualy cardio is on the rowing machine and weights are just bench presses, squats, deadlifts. the basics really. It does not sound good lol and i need to some structure.
    You mentioned in your initial post that squat and deadlift is hurting your knees, that basically means your not doing them properly well unless you have a medical condition.

I take it you haven't read the Sticky yet, have a read and if you still have any questions then feel free to ask

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    You mentioned in your initial post that squat and deadlift is hurting your knees, that basically means your not doing them properly well unless you have a medical condition.

I take it you haven't read the Sticky yet, have a read and if you still have any questions then feel free to ask

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990
    No i actually do have a condition. my knees cant take much stress due to repeat injurys in rugby over the past three years. The condition means they hurt and some times even swell up after training. I am trying to get fitter for rugby tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No i actually do have a condition. my knees cant take much stress due to repeat injurys in rugby over the past three years. The condition means they hurt and some times even swell up after training. I am trying to get fitter for rugby tbh.
    Well if your trying to get fitter for rugby then tbh you still will need to squat and deadlift and work around your injury i.e. do what you can and take it from their with gradual increases in the weight. I would presume if one is training for rugby then your focus should be to get big and strong and eat loads something which your lacking in at the moment. Perhaps when you reach that target then you should consider cutting down etc doing so right now does not make sense as your training for rugby, just my two cents.

Your better of asking Powerlifter himself in his thread, I believe an ex-rugby player himself who will be in a better position to advise you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1082216

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually had your knees checked out to find out what specifically is up with them?

ReputationRep:
    Plyometrics for explosiveness as implemented by athletes.

ReputationRep:
    I do explosive bench press by lowering the weight slightly, resting it on my chest and pushing it up as fast as possible

ReputationRep:
    Olympic lifts.

ReputationRep:
    Power Cleans ftw.

ReputationRep:
    olympic lifts. but you're not going to be able to lose 2.5 stone by september AND become powerful and strong

edit; strongER, maybe

ReputationRep:
    Olympic lifts are the way forward - however they also place strain on your knees so get some knee sleves to assist your knee tracking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Olympic lifts are the way forward - however they also place strain on your knees so get some knee sleves to assist your knee tracking.
    Cheers! rep

ReputationRep:
    I use these, cheap and does the job

http://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleeve...ick-heavy.html

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, well i am in the middle of losing weight but i am doing weight exersises in the gym along with my cardio. I have pretty much just been doing bench presses, squats, deadlifts, ect but i feel i could be getting more out of it. I need to lose roughly 2.5 stone of fat by september, tone up, and be powerfull and strong. Both in the sense of being actually powerfull and strong whilst being fast and quick of the mark (acceleration). What kind of variation could i add to my workout. OHH and i have weak knees so anything that would not stress them too much would be great (the squats and dealifts are hurting tbh). Cheers
    There's loads of stuff you can do
    Ill just write down all the ones i can think of and you can forget about the ones that hurt your knees
    err... depth jumps, zigzag jumps, HIIT with running, power cleans, power snatch, push press (second part of clean and jerk), jump squats, tricep band pull downs (kind of :P), burpees, explosive push ups, clapping pull/chin ups (difficult :P), muscle ups (you do an explosive pull up and get yourself above the bar, then do a dip type thing, google it, these are very hard, i cant do them without a jump start ), err... thats all i can think of atm, ill edit it if i think of more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I use these, cheap and does the job

http://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleeve...ick-heavy.html
    err powerlifter, i just wanted to ask a quick question.
    ive been doing stronglifts for like 6 months, and gained a few pounds, but got a lot stronger, i have been eating a lot, like 3-4k kcals per day. A couple of weeks ago, i ditched it and started doing 3x8 reps with 3secs up 3secs down. Ive still been doing all the basic lifts (bench press, smith squat, rack pull on a smith) because i the gym i go to has no rack and the barbells only go to 45kg... ive also been adding some isolation stuff too like flyes and ham curls and barbell curls, but ive noticed im gaining weight really quickly, is this because
    a) stronglifts wasnt really helping me gain weight and these are my initial gains
    b) because ive changed my rep range to produce hypertrophy
    c ) because ive altered the exercises im doing

just wondering...
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends did this regime, it's kind of dangerous but if you can manage it, you get enough ladies :sexface:

1. 40 lengths of rope painted white with glue on the end,
    2. Red/Blue suit
    3. Matching mask
    4. Urban area, with lots of tall buildings.

Get the ropes, and jump from a tall building, and throw the rope to the the building in front of you on the right hand side.

While swinging from that arm, use the left arm to the throw the other rope onto the building infront of you on your left hand side.

Let go of the first rope, grip the second rope tightly and swing.

Rinse repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .meh.)
    One of my friends did this regime, it's kind of dangerous but if you can manage it, you get enough ladies :sexface:

1. 40 lengths of rope painted white with glue on the end,
    2. Red/Blue suit
    3. Matching mask
    4. Urban area, with lots of tall buildings.

Get the ropes, and jump from a tall building, and throw the rope to the the building in front of you on the right hand side.

While swinging from that arm, use the left arm to the throw the other rope onto the building infront of you on your left hand side.

Let go of the first rope, grip the second rope tightly and swing.

Rinse repeat.
    Seriously, who are you trying to amuse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonnyhoy)
    Seriously, who are you trying to amuse?
    Myself mainly.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.