Turn on thread page Beta

weight exercises for explosive power and strength ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend wrist wraps to go along with those knee sleeves for power cleans.

Note I said wraps and NOT straps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albertb)
    err powerlifter, i just wanted to ask a quick question.
    ive been doing stronglifts for like 6 months, and gained a few pounds, but got a lot stronger, i have been eating a lot, like 3-4k kcals per day. A couple of weeks ago, i ditched it and started doing 3x8 reps with 3secs up 3secs down. Ive still been doing all the basic lifts (bench press, smith squat, rack pull on a smith) because i the gym i go to has no rack and the barbells only go to 45kg... ive also been adding some isolation stuff too like flyes and ham curls and barbell curls, but ive noticed im gaining weight really quickly, is this because
    a) stronglifts wasnt really helping me gain weight and these are my initial gains
    b) because ive changed my rep range to produce hypertrophy
    c ) because ive altered the exercises im doing

just wondering...
    thanks in advance
    B - using the strength from stronglifts which is why all starting bodybuilders are told to do powerlifting for a while first

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of stuff you can do
    Ill just write down all the ones i can think of and you can forget about the ones that hurt your knees
    err... depth jumps, zigzag jumps, HIIT with running, power cleans, power snatch, push press (second part of clean and jerk), jump squats, tricep band pull downs (kind of :P), burpees, explosive push ups, clapping pull/chin ups (difficult :P), muscle ups (you do an explosive pull up and get yourself above the bar, then do a dip type thing, google it, these are very hard, i cant do them without a jump start ), err... thats all i can think of atm, ill edit it if i think of more
    No it isn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    No it isn't
    yeah sorry, i was getting mixed up, pressing is illegal for the clean and jerk but they use the push press to develop strength for the jerk bit right? :P

ReputationRep:
    yeah sorry, i was getting mixed up, pressing is illegal for the clean and jerk but they use the push press to develop strength for the jerk bit right? :P
    Not really, its kinda getting used to getting leg drive into it more rather than shoulder strength.
    To develop strength for the jerk they squat, front squat, jerk etc

ReputationRep:
    Explosive power and strength? xD

Like this?

Spoiler:
    Show

_Kar

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.