Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swarley Stinson)
    Sexual favours.
    hahahaha genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Never quote. If you paraphrase you show that you understand what the author is talking about.
    Consider both sides of an argument and reference.
    Consider several points and link them together to aid the flow of the body.
    Back up any ideas you have with sources (kind of obviously really, but easy to forget. You can't come up with your own theories at undergraduate level).
    A strong introduction that says what you're going to talk about, and a conclusion that wraps everything up but avoid saying the exact same thing over again in condensed form. The conclusion should also refer back to the introduction in some way.

And RTFQ. Too many people in my group at uni do poorly at essays because they don't answer the question. They might write a great essay but it means nothing if it isn't what is asked from you.
    Can you please explain paraphrasing? Thanks

(Original post by AmorEmPaz)
    Can you please explain paraphrasing? Thanks
    Paraphrasing is when you put something in your own words.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I managed to turn a first year average of less than 50% to a final year avg of around 80%. I don't say that to brag - it doesn't mean anything - I just think it's important to state up front if I'm going to suggest something.

It depends on your subject of course but I found two things really effective

1) Do you own research

This can be something as simple as looking up some stats and putting in averages to support your argument. This works especially well for social sciences.

2) Do something different

Imagine you are the tutor - you read 30 essays. If you read one that's both well researched (or looks well researched) and different from the rest then it is more likely to get the nod. What is the prevailing wisdom in your topic? Or in other words - what does the course reading say? Unlike A levels, if you can write the opposite effectively then you're in good territory.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.