Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

DSA needs assessment on Monday watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExTraP)
    ^ wait until your funding is approved by SFE, because they might or might not approve all the recommanded items, althought they usually just nod their heads with everything that's bee recommanded. SFE will choose a supplier from your report, usually there are 3 suppliers included, you then decide whether or not to go for the supplier SFE choose, if you do then give them a ring to tell them what kind of upgrades you want, and they will give you a totally ridiculous quote of the upgrades, then you either agree or disagee. If yo agree then you pay a lot of money for something that might be cheap as chips, or you disagee and go with exactly what's been recommanded. Or you can do what I am going to do, which is send a nice email to the DSA team to inform them you would like to purchase part of all of the items yourself, they will then tell you that you are entitled to do so with bla bla bla... It's fiddly, but it's worth it. Like I have mentioned, with all the upgrades I want, I am still going to save them around £150 for buying things myself, whereas if I were to stick with the agreed supplier, I would have had to pay about £300 for the exact upgrades I want.

Boot camp comes native with all Mac OSX as standard now, as title suggest, you would have to boot your computer into the window mode, which menas you are either running Mac or Windows. If you want to be running both at the same time, you would have to purchase a software called Parallels, which allows you to run windows within the Mac OSX, so to speak. Whichever option you choose, you would have to purchase a copy of windows too, which isn't too expensive for a student, I think it's arounfd £50 or so.

Hope it helps.
    thanks SO so much for this! It actually makes sense now! I'll have to look into Parallels.
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    Of course, but what's wrong with thinking ahead. Because of my illness, I have to think ahead, or I really would go mental. You got anything wrong with that? If I hadn't have thought ahead, I wouldn't even be going to uni, let alone having an assessment.
    Sorry for jumping in but I think ExtraP was just trying to say it will all become clear once you have had your assessment. I don't think he/she (sorry ExtraP- are you a male or a female?) was telling you not to think ahead, just that it's really easy to get worried about the *details* of this process but they'll all become clear as time goes on. I've been worrying all day about how this puts extra pressure on me to get into my firm and planning ahead for results day and sorting out all possible scenarios in my head calms me down. It's normal for people with MH issues I think! I think Extra was being kind and trying to reassure you.

ReputationRep:
    I was only giving a suggestion, you don't have to take it. If you want to stress yourself over something that will eventually happen just the way you want to but no yet the time, then nobody could stop you. Where to have the items delivered is probably the least important thing in the whole process of applying for DSA, but if you want to spend all your energy to stress about an unknown factor then it might make you feel worse.

You asked a question, I answered your question, as simple as that. There is nothing wrong with thinking ahead, and I DID NOT suggest you are thinking ahead for going to uni or even doing the assessment now. If you don't like what I have said, I am not going to offer any apologies because I have not said anything wrong, I was just trying to be objective and offer my opinion. I am not going to say anything more, this is a typical example of I should just keep my opinions and possibly helpful expereience to myself and not to share with anybody. Other people's concerns and issues are theirs, not mine.

ReputationRep:
    diamonddust, cheers mate, but I am already upset, nevermind, it'll pass. I am a lady with good taste indeed!

I have not used Parallels myself, but may I ask you is there any particular reason you would want to run the 2 OS at the same time? I think you might have to partition the computer or something, but I am not sure. Do you have an apple store near you? I think the best to do is to pop into an apple store and have a play with both, at least have a chat with the guys there. Or even the online chat from the apple website, they are really helpful bunch.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm sorry ok? It's just that's the way it sounded.
    Whether it stresses me out or not, I need to know the ins and outs. I need to plan everything. That's how I am. Not knowing how it will all pan out just makes me even more scared about the whole process.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    When the equipment is delivered and ther person come to set it up, do they do it when your uni accomodation or do they come to your house?
    They'll go to wherever you want them to go

I know it's all a little terrifying not knowing what's going on. You can discuss your options for delivery once your DSA recommendations have been approved and they'll do whatever makes the situation easier for you. The whole process will bend to your needs. Don't worry, k? *hugs*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by snoogy)
    They'll go to wherever you want them to go

I know it's all a little terrifying not knowing what's going on. You can discuss your options for delivery once your DSA recommendations have been approved and they'll do whatever makes the situation easier for you. The whole process will bend to your needs. Don't worry, k? *hugs*
    Thank you *hugs*
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    How's everyone's application getting on?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How's everyone's application getting on?
    I went for my assessment and i've been offered so much to help me! I've also recieved my report. I've been reccommended laptop,dictaphone,mentor,extende d library loans,extra time in exams,smaller room in exams,book/phocopying/ink allowance,scanner and priner,broadband allowance,mid mapping software,dragon easy speaking and a few more I can't even think of right now lol. This is going to help so much, it's such a relief!

Thank's so much for your reassurance and help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I went for my assessment and i've been offered so much to help me! I've also recieved my report. I've been reccommended laptop,dictaphone,mentor,extende d library loans,extra time in exams,smaller room in exams,book/phocopying/ink allowance,scanner and priner,broadband allowance,mid mapping software,dragon easy speaking and a few more I can't even think of right now lol. This is going to help so much, it's such a relief!

Thank's so much for your reassurance and help!
    I'm so glad it went so well It sounds like you got pretty much the same as me.

I've been able to get a working-from-home job because of my equipment so I'm on my way to becoming independent again plus it's building up confidence, adding to my CV and enabling me to pay my own rent Isn't it odd how tiny bits of equipment can completely change everything?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm so glad it went so well It sounds like you got pretty much the same as me.

I've been able to get a working-from-home job because of my equipment so I'm on my way to becoming independent again plus it's building up confidence, adding to my CV and enabling me to pay my own rent Isn't it odd how tiny bits of equipment can completely change everything?
    Brillaint! That sounds great! I'm so glad everything's working out well for you

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    i was wondering if anyone can recomenmad me a needs asesment center in london or outside london? I have heard some are not very nice
    Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hanbok)
    Hi
    i was wondering if anyone can recomenmad me a needs asesment center in london or outside london? I have heard some are not very nice
    Thanks
    They're very nice at the one in Roehampton Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanbok)
    Hi
    Thanks
    I went to ability.net in central London and that was really good.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My stuff is due to come on Thursday! :woo:

My dad is still bemused as to how come I'm getting all this stuff

ReputationRep:
    ^ That took them long enough!! didn't you get your go ahead from SFE about the same time as me? Not that I have gotten anything yet, but it was all my fault, I didn't order anything straight away.

As for assessment centre, try to avoid access 1st near st james park, that's where I went. They seem very new and not very experienced with assessment and what they can get for students etc. an inexperienced me with an inexperienced assessor = everything went belly up. But they do offer appointment quite quick tho.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, has anybody here got any experience with transferring their DSA to a different uni? My study support tutor told me just to write to SFE, but the lady at the DSA term told me to reapply but to indicate on the form I don't want another assessment and are happy to carry on with my current entitlement. Isn't it the same as writing to them but simpler? I am all confused that everybody tells me something different.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Just been told I am eligible for DSE. Just emailed to book my appointment, hopefully I should be able to get one soon...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    ^ That took them long enough!! didn't you get your go ahead from SFE about the same time as me? Not that I have gotten anything yet, but it was all my fault, I didn't order anything straight away.
    It took a while for the letter from the supplier to come through :yes: Plus I was away for a bit, so couldn't get the stuff then :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    It took a while for the letter from the supplier to come through :yes: Plus I was away for a bit, so couldn't get the stuff then :yes:
    At least it's all sorted now. Hope the guys who do your delivery and set up are nice.

I ended up buy everything myself, a bit messy but I think I have more control this way. SFE better pay me the money back by Sept or Goldsmiths might shut their doors on me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    At least it's all sorted now. Hope the guys who do your delivery and set up are nice.

I ended up buy everything myself, a bit messy but I think I have more control this way. SFE better pay me the money back by Sept or Goldsmiths might shut their doors on me.
    I haven't heard anything about the set up yet :ninja:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.