Turn on thread page Beta

DSA needs assessment on Monday watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    Naww, thanks.

I've made the decision to resit the entire year (the uni thought I'd have an epic breakdown so they've pushed me towards the retake year) and now I have to convince SFE to fund me for another year.

I wish my DSA had happened quicker. I probably wouldn't be retaking if it hadn't taken forever to get the support in place

Hope everything works for you my friend. But at least now you could have a little break over the summer??

ReputationRep:
    Got my assessment tomorrow (7th) ... not quite sure what to expect.. had a lot of mix up. Firstly they claimed to have sent me some pink form to fill out which they hadn't.. and then they said they needed medical evidence (doctors letter) , which I had already sent to SFE so now they are gonna have to somehow get it off of them.. and then I got told my appointment was the 7th .. and then I got a letter saying it was the 5th... it was only when I got the pink form through the post finally to fill out that they said they would see me on the 7th I rang up to sort it... I hope things aren't like this tomorrow I dont think I can cope, I just want it to be straight forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Got my assessment tomorrow (7th) ... not quite sure what to expect.. had a lot of mix up. Firstly they claimed to have sent me some pink form to fill out which they hadn't.. and then they said they needed medical evidence (doctors letter) , which I had already sent to SFE so now they are gonna have to somehow get it off of them.. and then I got told my appointment was the 7th .. and then I got a letter saying it was the 5th... it was only when I got the pink form through the post finally to fill out that they said they would see me on the 7th I rang up to sort it... I hope things aren't like this tomorrow I dont think I can cope, I just want it to be straight forward.
    Sorry to hear this my friend. Make sure you get a contact email from your assessor tomorrow and ask him/her if you could contact them directly with any further questions / info you might have missed. I did forget a couple of things have due to a couple of mixed up, I have had to email mine a few times, and he's been quite helpful. Let us know how you get on. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExTraP)
    Sorry to hear this my friend. Make sure you get a contact email from your assessor tomorrow and ask him/her if you could contact them directly with any further questions / info you might have missed. I did forget a couple of things have due to a couple of mixed up, I have had to email mine a few times, and he's been quite helpful. Let us know how you get on. :cool:
    Yeah I need to email them anyway to ask if my dad can come along, not be in the room but I dont want to leave him alone incase he has a seizure.

All I want out of this is human support, someone to save me from stressing out and who can communicate with lecturers and people so when I have a bad time and if I have a piece of coursework to hand in and I can't get to do it I dont keep having to fill out form after form explaining why and getting letter after letter. I dont want to keep feeling like a freakshow and just want to be made to feel as normal as possible with support.

ReputationRep:
    Words cannot express how happy I am. The assessor was LOVELY and explained everything, and was not hesitant in giving me help. I'm getting a
    - facilitator to meet with twice a week to help with motivation and how I'm doing and to liase with lecturers
    -25% extra time in exams and my own room if I want
    -a note taker to sit in my lectures for when my dad has his brain surgery I wont miss anything
    -arrangements to do alternatives instead of massive presentations infront of people
    -book and photocopying allowance
    -a dictaphone
    -a new laptop which I can upgrade to a Mac and everything that you get with it.
    - taxi allowance

Really really happy I finally feel like I can give everything my best shot and I have lots of support. If anything, he was trying to give me stuff and I had to refuse it like a printer and scanner and stuff even though I already have a printer and scanner he was trying to get me to have them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Words cannot express how happy I am. The assessor was LOVELY and explained everything, and was not hesitant in giving me help. I'm getting a
    - facilitator to meet with twice a week to help with motivation and how I'm doing and to liase with lecturers
    -a note taker to sit in my lectures for when my dad has his brain surgery I wont miss anything
    -arrangements to do alternatives instead of massive presentations infront of people
    -a dictaphone
    - taxi allowance

Really really happy I finally feel like I can give everything my best shot and I have lots of support. If anything, he was trying to give me stuff and I had to refuse it like a printer and scanner and stuff even though I already have a printer and scanner he was trying to get me to have them.
    Really glad it went well :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Really glad it went well :hugs:
    Thankyou, I'm seriously so happy I feel like the biggest weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I do feel guilty for everything he's giving me though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thankyou, I'm seriously so happy I feel like the biggest weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I do feel guilty for everything he's giving me though.
    Try not to (easier said than done, I know). They're giving it to you for a reason, i.e. you need what they're recommending :yes:

ReputationRep:
    but you still have to wait for your funding body to accept those recommendation

ReputationRep:
    for those people who ordered their equipment and how long did it take to get the equipment from supplier .
    any one in here got their equipment from Barry Bennett Ltd?

ReputationRep:
    -a dictaphone
    - taxi allowance

Hey i went for my assessment today and my assor was amazing they just listened and helped me as much as possible as my epilepsy also covers my dislexia they have sorted everything out for me they have given me:
    - two hours a week for special support
    - extra time
    - note taker
    - laptop, printer, scanner
    - hardware for my dissability
    - taxi allowance
    - books, paper, ink, printing, usb allowance

i found it amazing the help they gave me they said i may recieve other stuff too!! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie1405)
    Hey i went for my assessment today and my assor was amazing they just listened and helped me as much as possible as my epilepsy also covers my dislexia they have sorted everything out for me they have given me:
    - two hours a week for special support
    - extra time
    - note taker
    - laptop, printer, scanner
    - hardware for my dissability
    - taxi allowance
    - books, paper, ink, printing, usb allowance

i found it amazing the help they gave me they said i may recieve other stuff too!! xx
    Hey My dad has really bad epilepsy, what provisions have they put in place if you have a fit whilst in uni? Is the note taker for when you've had one and cant come in?

ReputationRep:
    Erm my notetaker is there all the time, i have bad concentration and can just sit and stare so they are going to be there all the time they will just sit at the back and make notes erm if i have a fit they will pay for taxi home, erm they also have a room incase i am tired and i need a rest too. They will inform all the teachers what is wrong with me and what happens if i have a fit and they will work around that. what uni you going too?? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie1405)
    Erm my notetaker is there all the time, i have bad concentration and can just sit and stare so they are going to be there all the time they will just sit at the back and make notes erm if i have a fit they will pay for taxi home, erm they also have a room incase i am tired and i need a rest too. They will inform all the teachers what is wrong with me and what happens if i have a fit and they will work around that. what uni you going too?? x
    I'm transferring from LJMU to Leeds Met so I can be at home. Thats really good about all that I noticed with my dad too that he loses concentration quickly and will often just stare into space. Must be something to do with epilepsy I suppose. Do you have dyslexia by any chance?My dad does..he can barely read and write,which they said is down to his epilepsy.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I know some of you have been given a Mac recently, you might or might not know, if your Mac was purchased after 6 June then you are qualified for a free upgrade to the Lion OSx. Follow the link to get the upgrade, it's an instant process, I have just gotten mine, have yet yo download it though.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.