Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So today its pretty clear Ed Miliband made a very large political mistake. This will likely come back to bite him again and again.

Despite admitting that there must be some cuts(though he does not seem to know what they will be yet) today he addresses a protest march that is mostly calling to an end to ALL cuts.

I just wonder how he will shrug this off. What does he gain from this? A short term popularity boost that he will not be able to ride very far before he comes crashing back to earth.

Thoughts? Negs? Grammar checks?

ReputationRep:
    You overestimate the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people on the protest are not asking for all cuts to be stopped.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Teveth)
    UKuncut had a pretty considerable presence today and they seem pretty heavily against the cuts as do many of the unions judging by what they come out with. Judging by people interviewed today the slogans they used and the placards they had they all seemed pretty heavily against cuts of any kind.

By trying to align himself with this many people many of whom are against many or all of the cuts Miliband has put himself in a dangerous position. As well as cementing in his critics eyes, rightly or wrongly that he is a Union pawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Did you miss the hundreds of 'No Cuts' signs?

Most of the people there were entirely ignorant. Such as the woman complaining about her library being closed down. It's not fair she says, I've used that Library for 20 years.

Well, if it's all the same to you lovey, I'll have my NHS ringfence over your Phillipa Gregory anyday.

Ed Milliband has woefully disregarded his need to make any substantial plans on what he would cut. Until he can bring himself to do so, any opposition raised by him is moot. I can shout about how I wouldn't make any cuts, but that's because I'm not saddled with the responsibility of our nation's economy. Much like Labour, thank god.

ReputationRep:
    he's given the tories more ammunition to shoot him with. it will now be easier to characterize him as a 'deficit denyer' and a 'loony lefty'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    UKuncut had a pretty considerable presence today and they seem pretty heavily against the cuts as do many of the unions judging by what they come out with. Judging by people interviewed today the slogans they used and the placards they had they all seemed pretty heavily against cuts of any kind.

By trying to align himself with this many people many of whom are against many or all of the cuts Miliband has put himself in a dangerous position. As well as cementing in his critics eyes, rightly or wrongly that he is a Union pawn.
    The people who think thats the 'wrong answer' weren't going to vote for him anyway and he would never have persuaded them to whatever he said.

The people who think there should be fewer cuts will get behind him as 'an alternative'. I don't see who would be put off by it.

Basically Eds plan is that the Tory plan fails in some way and so he can say 'I told you not to'. If the Torys spending plan continues to have large scale support then they'll be seen to have turned the country around and will be re-elected.

I should admit I've not got round to watching it yet - should probably do that before commenting!

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand Ed Miliband. He has no answer for what he would do if he were in power and has absolutely no policies of his own as of yet. What is the point in him?

ReputationRep:
    Ed Miliband really shouldn't be our leader. Its not going to damage our chances of wresting power back sooner rather than later, afterall, its not like Cameron is a statesman in any way, shape or form either. However, adequate isn't good enough when it comes to party leadership - he's a caretaker, nothing more, and the sooner we put someone less inept in-charge the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    I really don't understand Ed Miliband. He has no answer for what he would do if he were in power and has absolutely no policies of his own as of yet. What is the point in him?
    Not a big deal to have no policies 12 months after losing an election, the Tories had no policies 3 months before the last one remember...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Basically Eds plan is that the Tory plan fails in some way and so he can say 'I told you not to'.
    TBF, it would have been Brown who 'told him not to'.

Brown wasn't that bad as a Labour leader. We should've kept him despite his election defeat, I mean he actually did pretty well considering the circumstances. In fact, if it wasn't for Bigotgate, we might even have a Labour-Lib Dem coalition governing today...

I'm no fan of Ed Miliband - he just isn't up to the job. I facepalmed more when he won the Labour leadership than when Brown made the 'bigot' gaffe...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Barden)
    Ed Miliband really shouldn't be our leader. Its not going to damage our chances of wresting power back sooner rather than later, afterall, its not like Cameron is a statesman in any way, shape or form either. However, adequate isn't good enough when it comes to party leadership - he's a caretaker, nothing more, and the sooner we put someone less inept in-charge the better.
    Who did you want as Labour leader?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Who did you want as Labour leader?
    Out of the candidates, Dave Miliband.

Personally I think Brown should have stayed, he would have been much better opposition in the Commons, and if (when :p: ) Osborne's economic policies result in another recession he really would be able to say 'I told you so'.

ReputationRep:
    Do people not understand how much of a mess were in. It's laughable to see these people protest against cuts, imagine 5 years down the line if these cuts weren't in place, i'd bet alot of money that they would be worst off.

The tories have said that we face a tough few years ahead of us but by the end of this parliament, the defecit will be controllable which independant figures seem to show as well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Out of the candidates, Dave Miliband.

Personally I think Brown should have stayed, he would have been much better opposition in the Commons, and if (when :p: ) Osborne's economic policies result in another recession he really would be able to say 'I told you so'.
    I think the party saw him as toxic though. Problem seemed to be that though he was an intellectual titan he was not slick and did not have the "style" that is so important in politics these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I think the party saw him as toxic though. Problem seemed to be that though he was an intellectual titan he was not slick and did not have the "style" that is so important in politics these days.

Something Ed Miliband certainly doesn't have either though. I don't think anyone's ever gonna out-do Blair on charisma though.

ReputationRep:
    The next election is 4 years and five weeks away and so yesterday's speech will only have a small part in the outcome. People do not have long memories when it comes to voting, and in any case, it's more a question of how they like the coalition and its members, not so much how good Ed Miliband is.

ReputationRep:
    You've been spoiled recently. Labour has had two good leaders - albeit 'good' in very different ways - before Miliband. Unfortunately this is rarely the norm in British party politics, and generally your leader is going to be a bit useless.

I mean, look at the Tories. We had a terrific leader many who stepped down in 1990. Since then, we've had a succession of the mediocre and the slightly creepy before settling for a reasonably nice but rather Blairesque figure.

ReputationRep:
    What gets me, he said yesterday in the marches that "There is an alternative". But failed to actually say what it is AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    What gets me, he said yesterday in the marches that "There is an alternative". But failed to actually say what it is AFAIK.
    Indeed.

I'd also like to hear him outline just how many tax rises he'd need to implement to pay for a nation that didn't cut anything in a time of recession.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.