Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Not a big deal to have no policies 12 months after losing an election, the Tories had no policies 3 months before the last one remember...
    True. At least in the most part. But, I don't share your confidence that labour will make a quick recovery. The tories can use the fact that they're in a coalition to fight off any criticism of breaking pre election pledges and the old "remember the mess labour left us in" line will last 'till the next election. The libdems are monumentally f****d as we're going to see in the upcoming Scottish and local elections and labour are not making any sense just now.

"We're not against the cuts, but we're against these cuts, even though we wont say what we would have cut , but we would cut something, but not as fast as the evil tories, who love making cuts" This is a pathetic response for the opposition to take.

" We have no clue what we're doing now, all our able politicians are passed it or forced out so we will bounce along and hope the tories f**k up because no-one in the shadow cabinet is on the same wavelength, they're all from different factions of the party and so we have no hope in hell of forming any coherent policies so if asked we'll say "we're waiting for the people to tell us what to do" and hope that no-one realises what a mess the new labour party, or old labour, or labour or neo-labour, or neo-classical labour, or whatever we're called is in"

Can't see anything but a tory majority at the next election, however in politics things can change very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    True. At least in the most part. But, I don't share your confidence that labour will make a quick recovery. The tories can use the fact that they're in a coalition to fight off any criticism of breaking pre election pledges and the old "remember the mess labour left us in" line will last 'till the next election. The libdems are monumentally f****d as we're going to see in the upcoming Scottish and local elections and labour are not making any sense just now.
    Depends how many people believe the Tory line of 'Labour's mess' though. Which cannot be the majority, else they'd have won the election outright (or more convincingly at least).

I don't think will be a quick recovery, however I do think Labour will win the next election. By this I mean that this next Labour government will be a shambles (with Ed at the helm), but it will probably exist nevertheless only to be quickly ousted again.

"We're not against the cuts, but we're against these cuts, even though we wont say what we would have cut , but we would cut something, but not as fast as the evil tories, who love making cuts" This is a pathetic response for the opposition to take.
    Again, I think this is mainly Ed Miliband's fault, and that Dave Miliband (or even Brown if he'd stayed on as Leader) would have handled this situation much better (seeing as Brown had to come up with a manifesto in order the contest the past election, and Dave M was far more prepared to take the reins.)

"
    We have no clue what we're doing now, all our able politicians are passed it or forced out so we will bounce along and hope the tories f**k up because no-one in the shadow cabinet is on the same wavelength, they're all from different factions of the party and so we have no hope in hell of forming any coherent policies so if asked we'll say "we're waiting for the people to tell us what to do" and hope that no-one realises what a mess the new labour party, or old labour, or labour or neo-labour, or neo-classical labour, or whatever we're called is in"
    Trade unions' fault for installing Ed over Dave. I suppose it is a case of 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail', however I think it is far to early to be saying that with regards to Labour's chances in the next general election, and more of a hindrance than a blunder.

Can't see anything but a tory majority at the next election, however in politics things can change very quickly.
    Depends entirely if the Tories' gamble on the economy pays off.

The cuts (in this governments' form) will strengthen the economy in the very long term, yes, this is definitely true. However, if this gamble doesn't pay off, and the public can see that under Labour, they'd have had a much easier time, and still ended up with a stronger economy (á la Brown's programme of more tentative cutting whilst protecting the recovery), the Tories will be seen as the bad guys afterall.

The best case scenario for the Tories of course, is that their austerity programme doesn't cause another recession, and the economy gets back on track quick enough for the public to think it was 'worth' the hardship, if you see what I mean...

Either way, I feel these cuts are just an unnecessary risk and will cause unnecessary hardship, even if the end result is positive.

ReputationRep:
    It would be quite interesting if there was another election soon.
    Do we vote for:

-The party we don't like what they're doing
    -The party who are letting the party we don't like do what they're doing
    or
    -The party who don't know what they're doing?

ReputationRep:
    I think the really interesting time will come when the deficit comes under control again to see what the tories will do. Will they increase spending in line with increased tax levels, decrease taxes to current spending levels, or a mixture of the two?

Also it's looking very likely that interest rates are going to start rising again. This mixed with rising inflation, reduced wages in real terms, more public sector jobs going to be cut with the private sector unable to fill the gap due to a lack of available finance, it doesn't look good.

However, labour were still dishing out the old "remember the mess the tories left" line, well into their third term so people will still buy that when the tories keep repeating the opposite.

People were not marching about cuts to public services yesterday, they were marching to protect their jobs, no matter what they were saying. Who ever gets laid off just now is going to find it very tough for a very long time.

Also people don't give a f**k about the long term. Like Keynes said "In the long run, we are all dead."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Did you miss the hundreds of 'No Cuts' signs?

Most of the people there were entirely ignorant. Such as the woman complaining about her library being closed down. It's not fair she says, I've used that Library for 20 years.

Well, if it's all the same to you lovey, I'll have my NHS ringfence over your Phillipa Gregory anyday.

Ed Milliband has woefully disregarded his need to make any substantial plans on what he would cut. Until he can bring himself to do so, any opposition raised by him is moot. I can shout about how I wouldn't make any cuts, but that's because I'm not saddled with the responsibility of our nation's economy. Much like Labour, thank god.
    All the "no cuts" signs had lines through them. They were actually stating "no to no cuts".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornish19)
    Do people not understand how much of a mess were in. It's laughable to see these people protest against cuts, imagine 5 years down the line if these cuts weren't in place, i'd bet alot of money that they would be worst off.

The tories have said that we face a tough few years ahead of us but by the end of this parliament, the defecit will be controllable which independant figures seem to show as well.
    I can certainly tell you're a Tory supporter...

But actually, despite what a lot of people seem to be saying, most of the people who were there (ie - the politically minded ones, not the hooligans up for a fight or the dumbasses who think all problems could be solved if we simply printed off a load of cash) were campaigning to stop cuts in the tuition fees, not just cuts overall.

Anybody with half a brain should know that cuts do need to be made, for the benefit of society overall, however, these cuts are being made in the wrong places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElfManiac)
    It would be quite interesting if there was another election soon.
    Do we vote for:

-The party we don't like what they're doing
    -The party who are letting the party we don't like do what they're doing
    or
    -The party who don't know what they're doing?
    Ha ha yeah - I believe there is a gap in society for a new political party, as none of the currently existing ones seem to be up to the job...

ReputationRep:
    Only clicked onto this thread to enquire as to why the word 'mistake' in the title is in the singular...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.