Turn on thread page Beta

My mum's on one now. I made her take her medication but don't know what to do. She's making all these plans and stuff and I know I can't stop her. I'm just agreeing to everything she says. What do you recommend? Do I carry on giving her the medication on regular intervals? Maybe she's missed too many. She just CAN'T go back into hospital, there's no-one to look after my and all my siblings. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried contacting her GP surgery? They might at least be able to suggest some support. It's not inevitable that she'd go back into hospital, is it? Especially not if she's taking the medication. I doubt she's missed too many - I don't think the standard meds work like that.

Otherwise just ride it out, I suppose. If it gets really bad - if she puts herself in danger - then call whoever you have to.

ReputationRep:
    In times of desperation I often consult the internet for guidance.

However, I really don't think TSR's a great place to seek advice like this! Try contacting your GP... Get some support from people who are trained and know what to do. Failing that, try phoning a family friend for moral support?

Good luck, hope you're okay! x

ReputationRep:
    The meds are to be taken regularly right, and if a dose / some are missed, they should be resumed as soon as remembered - is this also the case with hers?

If so, continue to administer them to her at the regular intervals. Call her GP asap for further advice and for the time being, try to appease her as you are doing and just keep agreeing to all the plans etc. she'll be making until the manic phase is over and she calms down.

Stay strong. I hope it all works out soon.

ReputationRep:
    Does she have anyone like a crisis team or a CPN you can contact? They might be able to help. And try and get your mum to see her GP or psychiatrist, they might be able to give her some extra meds to help tide her over.

ReputationRep:
    So... who's gonna be the first to make a Charlie Sheen joke?

(Original post by The Dynamic Uno)
    So... who's gonna be the first to make a Charlie Sheen joke?
    Haha, you're so funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Haha, you're so funny.
    Cheers.

My mum's on one now. I made her take her medication but don't know what to do. She's making all these plans and stuff and I know I can't stop her. I'm just agreeing to everything she says. What do you recommend? Do I carry on giving her the medication on regular intervals? Maybe she's missed too many. She just CAN'T go back into hospital, there's no-one to look after my and all my siblings. :confused:
    My mum has had one every year since I was 8 (18 now) but she hasn't relapsed for two years now so fingers crossed.

Doctors say it's either bipolar or a schizo-effective disorder. She's been to hospital four times because it got pretty bad. I had to look after my younger brother but I assure you it gets easier the older you get.

She needs to take her medication and if she refuses you need to call Crisis line or an equivalent. I'm afraid to say that in my case it never really worked and we end up having to call the emergency services as she got progressively more aggressive.

It is a long process and my sympathies are with you and with her. Hospital is the last resort but it may be necessary so you should contact any family you can to help.

My mum has had one every year since I was 8 (18 now) but she hasn't relapsed for two years now so fingers crossed.

Doctors say it's either bipolar or a schizo-effective disorder. She's been to hospital four times because it got pretty bad. I had to look after my younger brother but I assure you it gets easier the older you get.

She needs to take her medication and if she refuses you need to call Crisis line or an equivalent. I'm afraid to say that in my case it never really worked and we end up having to call the emergency services as she got progressively more aggressive.

It is a long process and my sympathies are with you and with her. Hospital is the last resort but it may be necessary so you should contact any family you can to help.
    Thankyou and you're right. She's now in hospital and feeling much better!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.