Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey musicians!

I have a situation and would like some advice.

I'm currently grade 7(distinction) on the piano which I took in 2008. I continued to play, in order to build up my repertoire, until I went off to university in 2009. I stopped playing due to the lack of a piano and even during the holidays when I went back home i'd play a few pieces but not really practise. I feel that i've distanced myself from the piano and I now have an urge to revive my musical self.

I want to build myself up for grade 8 and hopefully take it this winter or possibly next spring. I'll be going home this Easter and will take a look at the ABRSM exam pieces. I want to know if any of you have tips or advice to return to my skill level that i was at a few years back. Also, if you have any music pieces that you could recommend it would be great to hear them!

If you read through all this, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! Grade 8 is a fantastic achievement! It's fun (in a challenging sort of way) and it looks rather impressive on your CV.

Do you think you're still at the same standard you were at when you passed grade 7? If not perhaps just go over some more grade 7 stuff and really get up to scratch - it might make the transition to grade 8 easier. And don't forget about scales! The grade 8 scales are really nasty and there are lots of them (not sure how they compare to grade 7 though as I never did grade 7). The sight-reading is also tricky, but if you start early you should be able to master it. The aural is also horrible, but there are books and CD's available so you could teach yourself.

Have you got a teacher? It might be easier to learn with a teacher (unless you are really motivated) - they also might know which pieces are easier, teach you technique, give you general hints and tips etc.

How much time do you have to practice? I was under the impression that it takes roughly a year to complete each grade (it took me two years to do grade 8, but I did skip out grade 7). Don't underestimate how much work it is! The pieces for grade 8 can be long - I had one that was 7 pages! :eek:

But congratulations on the grade 7 distinction! If you managed that then I see no reason why you shouldn't do well on grade 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polymorphing)
    Hey musicians!

I have a situation and would like some advice.

I'm currently grade 7(distinction) on the piano which I took in 2008. I continued to play, in order to build up my repertoire, until I went off to university in 2009. I stopped playing due to the lack of a piano and even during the holidays when I went back home i'd play a few pieces but not really practise. I feel that i've distanced myself from the piano and I now have an urge to revive my musical self.

I want to build myself up for grade 8 and hopefully take it this winter or possibly next spring. I'll be going home this Easter and will take a look at the ABRSM exam pieces. I want to know if any of you have tips or advice to return to my skill level that i was at a few years back. Also, if you have any music pieces that you could recommend it would be great to hear them!

If you read through all this, thank you!
    Hi, well I am only taking my grade 2 (started playing late in life compared to those kids whose parents force them to learn at about 2 months old) Best thing you can do is replay all the pieces from previous grades so as to re-establish yourself so to speak. There are various people on youtube who play the pieces of ABRSM exams from all grades and up to date, so have a look so you know what you might have to learn.

I've heard that for grade eight some people play things such as Chopin's Polonaise 'Heroic' Op. 53 (such a great piece! :h: ) but I think that is quite 'advanced'...

ReputationRep:
    Wow grade 7 distinction pritty good
    Im doing grade 8 in the summer the scales are not that bad and you dont have to do contary motion scales but you do have to do lots of dimished 7ths and dominant 7ths but they are not that bad once you learn one or two of them.
    I have managed to learn the pieces 4/5 months practising quite a but I found quite a lot of the themes are repeated in a piece which makes it easier.

ReputationRep:
    'C5 Nouveltte in fourths' Gershwin a nice piece

ReputationRep:
    Scales and the malark.
    I hated them. But since they do form the basis of many pieces, its stupid to ignore them.
    ALthough i would say *they're examined for a reason* that "whole tone scale" to me is just freaking nonsense -.-.

Goodluck.

Second:

Recommend, as in good to play, or good to increase technique, or just good fun?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

(Original post by Sovietpride)
    Scales and the malark.

Recommend, as in good to play, or good to increase technique, or just good fun?
    Technique wise, but any pieces would be good to hear about.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously a piece you practice will have to appeal to you when you reach this level of play...

But i would try Chopin's "fantasie impromptu" op66. But do try to play it properly ^^.

It's harder than grade 8, but isn't that bad.

Sod what else i'm about to write. It sounds divine.

You've got 16 v 12 time for complexity, arpeggios for technique, a melody line that takes practice to bring out, and a contrasting middle section that requires a shift of mentality, pacing, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovietpride)
    Obviously a piece you practice will have to appeal to you when you reach this level of play...

But i would try Chopin's "fantasie impromptu" op66. But do try to play it properly ^^.

It's harder than grade 8, but isn't that bad.

Sod what else i'm about to write. It sounds divine.

You've got 16 v 12 time for complexity, arpeggios for technique, a melody line that takes practice to bring out, and a contrasting middle section that requires a shift of mentality, pacing, etc.
    I'd probably learn this after i've got myself up to a secure/advanced grade 8 standard since it's an 'easy' impromptu - if that can be said! - but technically I don't think i'd be able to do the piece justice, as I believe it is diploma standard!

ReputationRep:
    Only reason i suggested it is because you mentioned you're doing the ABRSM board exam pieces.

I can 100% tell you that it isn't diploma standard (of ABRSM). Probably how it is relatively basic compared to diploma-standard pieces (middle section being easy, the only real difficulty is 16v12, which is easily overcome).

If you don't feel you can do it justice, then yes. Probably a good idea not to touch it.

Erm...

Schubert Impromptus?

Problem with those is that they're hard because they're relatively easy. Nothing particularly flash about them, so one has to concentrate more on the singing part of his music. Don't know if that appeals to you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.