Turn on thread page Beta

How much can masters help if you are from non-target? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a degree from a non-target uni (graduated last year) I and have offer to do MPhil Finance at Cam. Just wondering how much will the masters help in applying to BBs? I'm currently working at small accounting firm to pass the time.

I have a high first class average and all my applications to most IBs don't even pass the screening stage. Will this be different with Cambridge brand or are they looking for something more? My extra-curricular is average/below average at best.

Is it worth doing a masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdedumb)
    I have a degree from a non-target uni (graduated last year) I and have offer to do MPhil Finance at Cam. Just wondering how much will the masters help in applying to BBs? I'm currently working at small accounting firm to pass the time.

I have a high first class average and all my applications to most IBs don't even pass the screening stage. Will this be different with Cambridge brand or are they looking for something more? My extra-curricular is average/below average at best.

Is it worth doing a masters?
    Very much so. People in your position are quite common, and the trend of people from non-targets breaking into banking after completing a postgrad at Oxbridge/LSE is well documented.

My advice would be to ensure they are giving you real responsibility at the accounting firm so you have something impressive to talk about in interviews. Or assuming you don't want to go into Finance (the division within investment banks), try and and get some experience more relevant to the division you want to pursue.

Regarding extra-curriculars Cambridge has a lot to offer so I'd say just get involved in as much as you can when you start, but there are also other things you could do before then like volunteering. Banks are always at Cambridge, so there'll be no shortage of opportunities for you to meet bankers & HR to ask questions, network, and gain more insight into the industry, to help you prepare for your applications. Do you have an idea of what particular division in banking you want to pursue?

ReputationRep:
    yes it will help! But there is probably a deeper issue than the caliber of your uni and grades if you can get into cambridge with it. I would advise you to focus on extra curric stuff and try and to get as much relevant experience as possible. I don't tihnk being in cambridge will guarantee you anything, but will give you ample opportunity. In essence, you have great grades clearly, but you need to round yourself a bit more. Banks hire people who are involved in alot of activities and excel!

What role you looking to get into?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking something along the line of investment management/wealth management.

I don't think I'll be able to hack the hours in IBD...

If I don't get into FO then I'll probably aim for strategy at corporates or big 4 advisory...

ReputationRep:
    Beg, borrow or steal your way into an internship anywhere FO finance related this summer. Then you will have as good a shot as anyone at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etrain1986)
    Beg, borrow or steal your way into an internship anywhere FO finance related this summer. Then you will have as good a shot as anyone at Cambridge.
    I disagree, attending a target and a summer internship are necessary to be competitive on the grad market. This is assuming you're not something special, like a gold-medal winner at the Olympics. In my ACs I rarely saw someone without both. Of the people I know who got offers in the grad market (summer conversion is a bit different since it relies on more fundamental signalling) noone didn't have both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    I disagree, attending a target and a summer internship are necessary to be competitive on the grad market. This is assuming you're not something special, like a gold-medal winner at the Olympics. In my ACs I rarely saw someone without both. Of the people I know who got offers in the grad market (summer conversion is a bit different since it relies on more fundamental signalling) noone didn't have both.
    That is what I said "As good a shot as anyone". It does not mean a guaranteed job, it means you will get interviews - then it is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    That is what I said "As good a shot as anyone". It does not mean a guaranteed job, it means you will get interviews - then it is up to you.
    Well no, someone from Cam with a FO internship will have a better shot at grad roles. A FO internship doesn't compensate for being from a non-target. That's what I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    Well no, someone from Cam with a FO internship will have a better shot at grad roles. A FO internship doesn't compensate for being from a non-target. That's what I'm saying.
    So basically what I said:

I will add that your chances are clearly slimmer if 1) you don't get any FO finance experience this summer and 2) you don't apply early. Always apply early, don't handicap yourself.

ReputationRep:
    So basically what I said:

I will add that your chances are clearly slimmer if 1) you don't get any FO finance experience this summer and 2) you don't apply early. Always apply early, don't handicap yourself.
    Huh? Aren't you saying that a guy from a non-target (and no Cam masters) with a FO internship has as good a shot as people from Cam with a FO internship?

ReputationRep:
    Reading back, I see how my comments could be misconstrued, to be clearer I am saying that he/she should take the Cam MPhil and get any kind of FO internship experience this summer, then he/she will have as good a chance as anyone at Cam.

ReputationRep:
    Reading back, I see how my comments could be misconstrued, to be clearer I am saying that he/she should take the Cam MPhil and get any kind of FO internship experience this summer, then he/she will have as good a chance as anyone at Cam.
    Ah, I fully agree then!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.