Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to numerous companies (20+) but I keep getting rejected whether it is at the assessment centre or at the application stage. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into accountancy? I study maths with economics at UCL and have 4 A's at a-level and am on course for a first so academically I am ok. What can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

I read the FT daily, create my own P&L accounts for my trading portfolio, I used to run a small business but I don't have time for that at the moment as I am study, I have had the usual summer jobs/part time jobs etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi have notice you're quite depressed mate, CHEER UP

This is just a phase of life every graduate has to go through.

My suggestion on securing training contract with big accountancy firm
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all you need to calm down, step back and pin point THE REASON of your failure whether at application stage, interviews or the assessment centre.

Each firm has its’ own recruitment process! Don't want to sound blatant but
    this will be starting point obviously. Then start researching on each firm's process in a bit more detail. Which I am sure you'd be doing anyways.

Just a month ago I was in your situation so I can perfectly relate to what your feelings are, till my 3rd year I applied to numerous positions but got rejected, tried again but all in vain.

This January my friend called me up & gave me good news that she got job offer letter from KPMG but still wasn't sure whether to keep applying in other Big 4 or not.

I was like :O HOW THE FISH did you actually do that within a month. Coming from engineering background you can't even pronounce Audit terminologies properly. She then told me that she attended a mock assessment centre with a company called Green Turn. They helped us preparing for each exercise thoroughly.

This was the BEST advice you could ever receive. I ended up securing offers from both PWC and Ernst & Young within a month myself. I received help with my interview and assessment centre preparation with green turn. They’re quite good actually as they gave me step by step guidance and teaching materials on the areas I lacked confidence in.

I have accepted PWC offer starting in Embankment office - Assurance sector this September. Looking forward to take out interest free loan of £7k from them, this will definitely be of help. Swwy a bit carried away there.

Let me know if you need help in anything specific for PWC / EY application, I will be glad to share my preparation pack.

All the best!

P.S. apologies for rumbling

ReputationRep:
    Hi mhl,

I've seen the Green Turn mock assessment days and was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about them? What do they run through with you, how much does it cost, where are they etc? Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by postboxred)
    Hi mhl,

I've seen the Green Turn mock assessment days and was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about them? What do they run through with you, how much does it cost, where are they etc? Thanks so much!
    You don't need to fork out for a mock assessment centre

Just watch videos like this: http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student...ntsatpwc.jhtml

Watch that a few times and you will have just as good knowledge of an AC for zero the cost.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know yourself where your weakness are in interview / assessment centres? Do you tend to have problems coming up with examples / working in groups / with written exercises / with aptitude tests? If you have an idea of what's letting you down then you can try to improve that aspect.

Preparation is the key IMO. With your background if you sell yourself properly on your CV / Application you should get through to the interview stage EVERY time. If you're not getting through every time then you are doing something wrong right from the start.

It's also possible that applying to 20 at the same time is hurting your chances. Are you able to properly research each firm? Go on wiki jobs and read EVERYTHING about the place you are applying, make a list of the questions you expect to come up (why this firm, why accountancy, why this service line, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why this qualification) and create a list of answers. I'm not saying parrot these in interview (you'd look fake), but this way you've properly thought out what you're going to say. Passion for the qualification offered is key as well, they don't want people who don't appear to know what's involved in qualifying over the next few years.

Just some thoughts, hopefully helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zcomputer5)
    I have applied to numerous companies (20+) but I keep getting rejected whether it is at the assessment centre or at the application stage. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into accountancy? I study maths with economics at UCL and have 4 A's at a-level and am on course for a first so academically I am ok. What can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

I read the FT daily, create my own P&L accounts for my trading portfolio, I used to run a small business but I don't have time for that at the moment as I am study, I have had the usual summer jobs/part time jobs etc.
    You sound like a good candidate, you need to keep persevering as I think any company would be lucky to have you. DO you play any sport as well? I have heard frmo recruiters that companies often go for well rounded people who play things like team sports aswell

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you've got AAAA and are on course for a first in Math & Economics at UCL and can't break into accountancy/audit worries me greatly... As in, I've got significantly 'less good' academics to you. I didn't realise it (particularly audit) was so difficult to get into?

ReputationRep:
    become a chartered accountant

ReputationRep:
    I'm closing this as it's an old thread. Please create a new one if you want to ask a question - the bump wasn't related to the OP.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2012
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.