Turn on thread page Beta

Never tried tobacco.....at the age of 22 watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what people's views are on this:

I'm 22 years old and have never in my life tried tobacco in any shape or form, not even a single puff on a cigarette. It is not because of religious beliefs (my mom smokes quite a bit) but I've simply never wanted to get involved with tobacco.

Two things I'm wondering:

1) How many others are there out there like me? Or is it so uncommon in today's society that you're unlikely to find anyone above the age of 18 who hasn't smoked?

2) Though smoking is generally viewed as a bad thing (at least I've gotten that impression), would you still think its weird that someone who is in their early twenties hasn't even tried it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh God no! Get to the shop now before it's too late! Oh the humanity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and I've never tried it either, and I never will. Both of my parents are heavy smokers but to be honest I just don't see the point. I don't think it's weird but a lot of my friends do. Good on you is what I say.

ReputationRep:
    You should be pleased man. I (and most others) have had a minor smoking phase in teen years. The dangers are very apparent and it's expensive as. It's really not worth getting involved in, even though I think everyone should have the right to do it. I initially did it out of curiosity, and was soon buying them for nights out. About a month later realised how pointless it was, then stopped dead.

I wouldn't stress about it as it will just make you want to try it more. I wouldn't say it's weird either, nobodies ever going to question you for not smoking! If you are friends with a lot of smokers, you should be pleased with your willpower. Basically all my mates smoke, and it's important to keep your values even when it's surrounding you.

ReputationRep:
    And why should you? It's not like it's a good thing..

ReputationRep:
    You have missed nothing

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and I've never smoked either, nor do I wish to. It seems utterly pointless to me...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So you would take up a potentially deadly habit due to what others think? God what would you do if all your friends did heroin bar you? You know what don't answer that.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me like smoking was a big thing with the older generations. The younger ones have learned from mistakes of their parents and don't smoke. I'm 18 myself and never intend to smoke cause I get to see first hand what it's done to my dad and how hard it is for him to stay clean. Although I have tried it.

It's not weird that you've never tried it (Most of my friends haven't), its weird that you care what other people will think about you.
    If you don't feel like trying it, don't. Nobody with an IQ above 80 will judge you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure theres plenty of people in your shoes. It's no big deal. I haven't tried it either, nor do I intend to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Have you really completely run out of normal things to worry about?

I consider myself lucky not to have tried it and have no inclination to ever do so.

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha what a square. i smoke about thirty a day. what wrong with u? are u a gay?

ReputationRep:
    Almost 20 and never smoked. The smell is enough to make me gag.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is 35 and has never tried a cigarette. (I can't say I have been that good )
    He always said he finds smoking illogical because it smells, it's bad for your health and above all is expensive.
    I agree with him, but curiosity got the better of me when I was 16 lol

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you've missed nothing - People smoke for reasons other than addiction and peer pressure. It feels nice.

I'm not suggesting you rush out and buy a pack, of course. It does awful things to your health after all, if you don't want to smoke, then it's certainly the healthier decision. I just grow a bit weary of the demonisation of smokers (speaking as only a social smoker myself)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So you would take up a potentially deadly habit due to what others think? God what would you do if all your friends did heroin bar you? You know what don't answer that.
    No, I don't do what my friends tell me to do. In addition to not smoking I've never been drunk either although people keep telling me to drink more.

I was just wondering whether having tried tobacco was considered such an ordinary thing that 99% of people do so that whoever hasn't done it is seen as a bit weird simply due to the commonness of the activity. Not that this really matters to me, I'm just asking/wondering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teriaki)
    Just wondering what people's views are on this:

I'm 22 years old and have never in my life tried tobacco in any shape or form, not even a single puff on a cigarette. It is not because of religious beliefs (my mom smokes quite a bit) but I've simply never wanted to get involved with tobacco.

Two things I'm wondering:

1) How many others are there out there like me? Or is it so uncommon in today's society that you're unlikely to find anyone above the age of 18 who hasn't smoked?

2) Though smoking is generally viewed as a bad thing (at least I've gotten that impression), would you still think its weird that someone who is in their early twenties hasn't even tried it?

You should be proud of yourself for not trying it. I'd say it is quite unusual to meet someone who's never even tried it, but that's a good thing. It means you know your own mind and are not a sheep.

I wish I could say the same, but I've got a 'try everything once' attitude and now can't quit smoking after 18 months. I've got less money, my clothes smell, I have to stand outside in the rain and I'm reliant on something.

If I could go back, I'd never try it either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The only times I've ever smoked a cigarette have been when someone I knew shoved a cig in my mouth in a club because they thought I smoked (I'd only recently got to know them at the time). Other than that I've never smoked, nor had any desire to do so. It's a horrible dirty habit that costs the earth and has no real benefit other than not being abandoned when everyone leaves a pub/bar for a smoke.

I don't think it's particularly uncommon, increasing numbers of people don't smoke. It's very much something that previous generations did before the health message really got out. I wouldn't compare it to stuff like alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    im 19 and ive never smoked, who cares? Its expensive and pointless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.