Turn on thread page Beta

Never tried tobacco.....at the age of 22 watch

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy a smoke.... try it. If you like if: carry on.

Who cares about cancer anyway? Not to bothered if I die 15 years early, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Dont try it. theres no need.

ReputationRep:
    Theres nothing to it. Expensive, it smells, and its a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Do people really pat themselves on the back for not smoking? ****ing hell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teriaki)
    Just wondering what people's views are on this:

I'm 22 years old and have never in my life tried tobacco in any shape or form, not even a single puff on a cigarette. It is not because of religious beliefs (my mom smokes quite a bit) but I've simply never wanted to get involved with tobacco.

Two things I'm wondering:

1) How many others are there out there like me? Or is it so uncommon in today's society that you're unlikely to find anyone above the age of 18 who hasn't smoked?

2) Though smoking is generally viewed as a bad thing (at least I've gotten that impression), would you still think its weird that someone who is in their early twenties hasn't even tried it?
    I guess it's weird that you've never tried it- a lot of people would be curious to know what all the fuss is about.

But meh, wouldn't hold it against you. In case you're wondering, smoking is disgusting/horrible/awful... until you get used to it. Then it's great. Teenagers put up with the awfulness to appear 'cool' ..and then grow to like it. Then realise its stupid and quit.

ReputationRep:
    Me neither, no ones ever made a big deal out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who have never tried it. It's crap, don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    I smoke. I enjoy it, but I am starting to wish I didn't like it so much. I think the biggest danger is for some people, is that you when you try it, you realise how much you enjoy it, so become a social smoker, then a regular smoker. Thats how it worked for me and a big part of me wishes I never got in to it.

ReputationRep:
    I smoke, you don't. Different people different lives . It isn't that weird you've made a decision and stuck by it which is good, not odd. At least it shouldn't be odd haha.

ReputationRep:
    youths of the modern generation who willingly chose to smoke despite all the risks are pretty thick or stupid.

I had never tried it until I was 20, and even then it was only because I was drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time. It felt good, a little bit different and I have done it since, but it's thankfully never become a habit and I don't have an urge to do it again.

Not having tried it is no major loss, so no reason to worry

ReputationRep:
    I understand why many of the much older generations became addicted to smoking, as it was the norm and associated health risks were unknown.I cannot understand why the younger generations even contemplate trying smoking. If you have visited hospital wards and witnessed people on oxygen because they are unable to catch a breath,or wards where people have smoking related diseases,smokers would realise what they had ahead of them and perhaps think twice. Surely the stink of people who smoke is enough to make it seem disgusting,never mind the eventual coughing up of masses of phlegm every morning.The arguement is often,''well, we have to go of something'',perhaps so, but why add insult to injury! Revolting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teriaki)
    Just wondering what people's views are on this:

I'm 22 years old and have never in my life tried tobacco in any shape or form, not even a single puff on a cigarette. It is not because of religious beliefs (my mom smokes quite a bit) but I've simply never wanted to get involved with tobacco.

Two things I'm wondering:

1) How many others are there out there like me? Or is it so uncommon in today's society that you're unlikely to find anyone above the age of 18 who hasn't smoked?

2) Though smoking is generally viewed as a bad thing (at least I've gotten that impression), would you still think its weird that someone who is in their early twenties hasn't even tried it?
    I've still never smoked a cigarette and I'm 22. I've had a few cigars due to traditions in a few of the social functions I get involved in.

I have no interest in smoking a cigarette and never will, just don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Never smoked either, not 22 though. Fairly sure im addicted in someway given that my parents were chain smokers, and every single one of my friends smokes like a bleeding chimney.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've made a good choice... but there's no need to go on about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janaxx)
    I understand why many of the much older generations became adicted to smoking, as it was the norm and associated health risks were unknown.
    A packet of 20 was cheaper than a pint of beer until relatively recently too, used to be an affordable vice for people.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not 'weird'. I've only ever smoked when drunk....people who smoke out of habit/daily/with their breakfast are pathetic dicks.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you! Whenever someone tells me they have never smoked I have a tinge of jealousy. I wish I'd never started.

Damn my curious, 16 year old self *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19, and I've never smoked tobacco in a straight. Only ever had it mixed with other things. I doubt you're really missing much, at least weed actually changes your sensory perception in exchange for doing damage to your lungs, which in my personal view is a worthy payoff. Tobacco just doesn't really do anything, costs a load of money, is addictive as hell and makes you smell of tobacco all the time. Not worth it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Good, keep it that way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.