Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it that people question you for not drinking but don't for not smoking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They're both drugs..:/

ReputationRep:
    Very different social status.

ReputationRep:
    So's paracetamol.
    Not to say that alcohol can't be damaging (especially to the extent that the more idiotic students drink), but there's varying levels of drugs - smoking is much more addictive, and buggers your health faster than drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Why not for drinking coffee?

ReputationRep:
    More social acceptances in one more than the other. I always viewed smoking more negatively than alcohol. I would've usually associated smoking with death more strongly, although recent events seemed to have equaled that imbalance for me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because they are not the same?

ReputationRep:
    because drinking is cool and you know it :P

Haha.

I have no idea. Drinking can be quite social whereas I guess esp now smoking isn't, have to stand outside etc. Obviously drinking can end badly too and both can be very addictive even if smoking is more obviously so.

ReputationRep:
    Because not all drugs are the same.

ReputationRep:
    Because drinking makes you funny and reckless and violent whereas smoking doesn't do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshing-fairy)
    Drinking can be quite social whereas I guess esp now smoking isn't, have to stand outside etc.
    Obviously you dont smoke. My best friends at school and college were always the smokers. You become a tight nit group as you spend every break and lunch with each other. Same with parties, smoking has gotten me laid (indirectly, met sharing a cig).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomiimoan)
    They're both drugs..:/
    mmmmdrugs r baddd.. mmokayy??

ReputationRep:
    Massive government campaign against smoking means more people will hold a negative view of smoking.

Alcohol has TV adverts in support for it, most shows include lots of drinking scenes, typically seen as a social norm in most of the west etc. will result in more people holding a less negative view of it.

Also smoking causes direct harm and damage to organs not only to the person doing it but to others too, however alcohol causes direct harm and damage to organs only to the person drinking it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.