Turn on thread page Beta

Are we?

Syphillis infections are on the increase in Britain, as well as other STD's.

Read the reasons why:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...889882,00.html

ReputationRep:
    use condoms. have regular testing. then its all safe

(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    use condoms. have regular testing. then its all safe
    Condoms split - you can become infected between testing, and consequently infect many others who wouldn't be aware that they are infected.

...and the point is, people have message 'fatigue' and are ignoring the message.

If it were that easy there wouldn't be such an upsurge in STD's, would there?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The problem is not of promiscuity, it's of not practicing safe sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Condoms split - you can become infected between testing, and consequently infect many others who wouldn't be aware that they are infected.

...and the point is, people have message 'fatigue' and are ignoring the message.

If it were that easy there wouldn't be such an upsurge in STD's, would there?
    oh well hey lets do what the americans do and save ourselve till marraige...cos thats just so much more fun.

the article states part of the problems is people not practicing safe sex..

oh well hey lets do what the americans do and save ourselve till marraige...cos thats just so much more fun.

the article states part of the problems is people not practicing safe sex..
    I'll ignore the first part of your post, because it's sarcastic and not worthy of response! :rolleyes:

The article does indeed say that, but it also asks why people are not practicing safe sex, despite knowing the dangers of failing to do so.

Could there be a correlation between not practicing safe sex and getting blind drunk through binge drinking? I believe there is a strong correlation between the two, since the second results in lack of inhibition and control thereby causing the first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I'll ignore the first part of your post, because it's sarcastic and not worthy of response! :rolleyes:

The article does indeed say that, but it also asks why people are not practicing safe sex, despite knowing the dangers of failing to do so.

Could there be a correlation between not practicing safe sex and getting blind drunk through binge drinking? I believe there is a strong correlation between the two, since the second results in lack of inhibition and control thereby causing the first.
    So really in efect we're ignoring the dangers of binge drinking thus leading to unsafe sex?

*sarcastic yes..but not being religious i don't buy into it, just my opinion

So really in efect we're ignoring the dangers of binge drinking thus leading to unsafe sex?
    One results in the other, don't you think?

If we are ignoring the message of the dangers of 'unsafe' sex, we need to examine the reasons why.

My views on the correlation between the two could be one of the reasons why, but not the only reason.

Got any other ideas why the message is being ignored?

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be right in saying a large proportion of it is drinking related. I mean people don't tend to be all that promiscuos when sober do they? Its all very well splashing out several million pounds on advertising about safe sex, but if the people are too drunk to remember it, it won't do any good. I blame 24hour drinking

I think you'd be right in saying a large proportion of it is drinking related. I mean people don't tend to be all that promiscuos when sober do they? Its all very well splashing out several million pounds on advertising about safe sex, but if the people are too drunk to remember it, it won't do any good. I blame 24hour drinking
    Hmm....yes, I think you are right.

Incidentally, did you read about that woman who was so drunk that she just collapsed on the floor outside her uni accommodation and then accused the Porter of raping her?

The judge said that the fact she was so drunk and didn't remember giving consent in no way meant that she was raped - the case was dismissed.

Another salutory lesson about the dangers of getting p****d out of your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Hmm....yes, I think you are right.

Incidentally, did you read about that woman who was so drunk that she just collapsed on the floor outside her uni accommodation and then accused the Porter of raping her?

The judge said that the fact she was so drunk and didn't remember giving consent in no way meant that she was raped - the case was dismissed.

Another salutory lesson about the dangers of getting p****d out of your mind.
    Well in this day an age it's always the womens fault if she was drunk, next time i'm in danger of being raped i'll make sure i'm sober. I'm beginning to believe alcohol is evil

ReputationRep:
    Um, "24 hour drinking" (and let's face it, its later licenses!) have only been in effect for one night! How can it possibly have an influence on research conducted prior to enactment? Good grief!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barb24)
    Um, "24 hour drinking" (and let's face it, its later licenses!) have only been in effect for one night! How can it possibly have an influence on research conducted prior to enactment? Good grief!
    ok well the drinking culture is to blame

Later closing times will compound the problems we already have with our 'binge drinking' culture.

We are social animals - we are not going to isolate ourselves till a later time - we will still start drinking at the same time as we always have, but we will drink for longer!

ReputationRep:
    Promiscuity is GREAT. If people are too irresponsible to practice good hygiene, then they obviously deserve to contract appalling diseases and infections.

As people have said, this isn't about the dangers of promiscuity. I’d argue that there are none.

ReputationRep:
    Well in this day an age it's always the womens fault if she was drunk, next time i'm in danger of being raped i'll make sure i'm sober. I'm beginning to believe alcohol is evil
    OH. MY. GOD! Presumably blame is a transferrable thing when it comes to actions. So, any woman who gets drunk effectively absolves the man who rapes her of any blame? A man who targets vulnerable women, gives no thought to the notion of consent and basically just gets his end away regardless of the consequences and the feelings of the other person.
    So what should women do? Never, ever drink, just in case?? Maybe we should just not leave the house, cover ourselves up and not speak to men in case it comes across as mixed signals!
    Basically, the woman says 'yes' to sex, or she doesn't. In the latter case, you simply do not go ahead. It's quite simple, its a formula my male friends follow and it's done them no harm.
    And for every single girl who has felt like absolute s*it following one of these disgusting attacks, for every time they have felt dirty and like its their fault because one idiot forgot his morals and humanity - I should neg rep you and your ignorant opinions.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    oh well hey lets do what the americans do and save ourselve till marraige
    That's what the Americans do, is it? :confused:

OH. MY. GOD! Presumably blame is a transferrable thing when it comes to actions. So, any woman who gets drunk effectively absolves the man who rapes her of any blame? A man who targets vulnerable women, gives no thought to the notion of consent and basically just gets his end away regardless of the consequences and the feelings of the other person.
    So what should women do? Never, ever drink, just in case?? Maybe we should just not leave the house, cover ourselves up and not speak to men in case it comes across as mixed signals!
    Basically, the woman says 'yes' to sex, or she doesn't. In the latter case, you simply do not go ahead. It's quite simple, its a formula my male friends follow and it's done them no harm.
    And for every single girl who has felt like absolute s*it following one of these disgusting attacks, for every time they have felt dirty and like its their fault because one idiot forgot his morals and humanity - I should neg rep you and your ignorant opinions.
    It would appear that the general concensus is that woman do have a responsibility to make themselves less vunerable to attack.

ReputationRep:
    *******s; as per usual somebody manages to exaggerate everything.

Hypothetically speaking, if a woman is drunk to the point of being unable to function, is wearing highly revealing clothing, is alone, it's late and is attacked, then it could be argued that by putting herself in an inappropriate situation with an increased risk of attack/rape, she is partly responsible. (This is obviously in certain cases; but then again most rapes reported are not indiscriminate attacks and generally involve an element of pre social engagement)

If you've ever been out at night in a town, you'll appreciate that a fair proportion of female’s wear very revealing clothing and you have to accept that corrupt people that take advantage of females such as this, are more likely to target them. If this was paralleled to nature; a small antelope in the middle of barren desert would be a prime target for a predator. Don't assume that because we have consciousness that everybody has command of their innermost desires - Far from it. I'd argue the majority embraces them directly, whilst the minority has understanding, thus enabling a modicum of control.

Don't for a minute think I'm condoning rape. I'm not, in honesty I find it repulsive. This in my opinion is a way of confronting the issue. Society seems to stigmatise everything to the point of topics becoming needlessly inviolable.

What, in my opinion, is fairly striking about the recent polls regarding the topic is that people tend to view rape in the same way as other crimes. Instead of assuming that women are being blamed for rape, why not appreciate that there are many variables in accessing why a rape may have taken place and that it can be, perhaps, prevented? Additionally, don't bring into this the raping of old people or children, as that's a completely different set of circumstances. Obviously, there are just indiscriminate attacks, but again we're not talking about that.

If a man leaves his car unlocked in a dubious part of town, is he not partly responsible if said car is stolen? Perhaps he shouldn’t have to lock his car; why should he even have to deal with theft? Then the dubious part of town should be dealt with, but until it is, he should lock his car and park elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacques Derrida)
    *******s; as per usual somebody manages to exaggerate everything.

Hypothetically speaking, if a woman is drunk to the point of being unable to function, is wearing highly revealing clothing, is alone, it's late and is attacked, then it could be argued that by putting herself in an inappropriate situation with an increased risk of attack/rape, she is partly responsible. (This is obviously in certain cases; but then again most rapes reported are not indiscriminate attacks and generally involve an element of pre social engagement)

If you've ever been out at night in a town, you'll appreciate that a fair proportion of female’s wear very revealing clothing and you have to accept that corrupt people that take advantage of females such as this, are more likely to target them. If this was paralleled to nature; a small antelope in the middle of barren desert would be a prime target for a predator. Don't assume that because we have consciousness that everybody has command of their innermost desires - Far from it. I'd argue the majority embraces them directly, whilst the minority has understanding, thus enabling a modicum of control.

Don't for a minute think I'm condoning rape. I'm not, in honesty I find it repulsive. This in my opinion is a way of confronting the issue. Society seems to stigmatise everything to the point of topics becoming needlessly inviolable.

What, in my opinion, is fairly striking about the recent polls regarding the topic is that people tend to view rape in the same way as other crimes. Instead of assuming that women are being blamed for rape, why not appreciate that there are many variables in accessing why a rape may have taken place and that it can be, perhaps, prevented? Additionally, don't bring into this the raping of old people or children, as that's a completely different set of circumstances. Obviously, there are just indiscriminate attacks, but again we're not talking about that.

If a man leaves his car unlocked in a dubious part of town, is he not partly responsible if said car is stolen? Perhaps he shouldn’t have to lock his car; why should he even have to deal with theft? Then the dubious part of town should be dealt with, but until it is, he should lock his car and park elsewhere.
    Actually, if a person leaves their car unlocked, it would only have implications in private law (e.g. in an insurance claim). In criminal law, temptation does not amount to provocation. The crime lies with the perpetrator, not the victim, one of the reasons why women's sexual history is now non-admissable evidence in court.
    And I am not assuming that everyone is blaming women for being raped, I was responding to a particular post by one individual that said it was 'always a woman's fault' (that's blame, I think), if she was drunk. Of course it isn't sensible to leave yourself vulnerable to attack, and I never claimed that it was. I just think that it's a hell of a price to pay for a human error, don't you?

Do you not find it a bit patronising, as a man, that the opinions such as the one I was replying too (look above for reference), seem to infer that men cannot be held responsible for the actions when faced with such 'opportunities' as a paralytic girl in a short skirt?
    And just to make the point, it isn't an exaggeration, the reply posted that seems to have irritated you so much was in response to somebody who was actually blaming women for rape.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.