Turn on thread page Beta

Is It Happening Too Fast? And Is It Too Dangerous? watch

ReputationRep:
    x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you7me)
    I'm losing belly fat. Fast.
    Tabata squats. ever heard of them??
    you do around 80 in 4 minutes i think and this is recommend only a couple times a week - the 4 minutes that is.

however, i'm doing it for 30min and this was really effective! i can feel my bones without having to poke my stomach too much [s]lol[s]
    i used to be a size 12 but i think now im between a 10 and 12 because of those 30min i did yesterday.
    so i basically got a [near] flat stomach over night..or over 2 days(?) i can't remember if i did it the other day. plus i've been doing HIIT for 2 months.

now, im in the middle of completing todays 30 minutes. this is 1 hour of tabata in 2 days where as you're meant to do 2 hours every 2 or 3 weeks!
    i remember reading somewhere that it [tabata] affects the central nervous system/spine(?)

but with this comes my diet - 700-800 calories consisting of nothing that's bad, too fattening or too much of one food group [which used to be carbs for me!]

but what i'm wondering is is it unsafe to be doing this much?

i don't really care about pains i may experience in the short run because they're gonna go like muscles aching i.e.my quadriceps now! but if it is gonna affect my spine/central nervous system THEN i'm scared!
    I've never heard of those and I don't think its an effective way of loosing weight if its static. I think your best of doing low intensity cardiovascular training for 1hr each day to get maximum results and just eat 10% less of your total daily expenditure. So if you're an average women thats 2000 - 200 = 1800 calories. And try thermogens or green tea extract which are meant to help synthesis the break down of fats. I wouldn't recommend drastically change your current lifestyle incase your body has side effects. Although I'm not a doctor or anything this is just from my experience.

Is this a joke?

You are undereating and it looks like you're overexercising and you are asksing if it's unsafe?

What do you think, Sherlock?

ReputationRep:
    With that level of exercise, and that amount of calories, it shouldn't be your central nervous system you should be worrying about...

Seriously, eat more food. Why don't people realise that starving yourself isn't healthy?

I hope you've miscounted your calories or something, because what you're doing is seriously dangerous, and could effect your body long-term.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what the others have said and also the whole point of tabatas is that you're working at such a high intensity for those 20 seconds that you shouldn't be able to or need to do more than four minutes. If you can do it for 30 minutes then you're probably not doing it right and not working at your maximum intensity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooCee)
    I agree with what the others have said and also the whole point of tabatas is that you're working at such a high intensity for those 20 seconds that you shouldn't be able to or need to do more than four minutes. If you can do it for 30 minutes then you're probably not doing it right and not working at your maximum intensity.
    but thats the thing, i must be doing something because i've been eating 700-800cal this entire month and i havent notice any change until i've been doing the 30min of tabata. now i can see my stomach is flatter and i've only done the tabata twice - friday night + yesterday night.

ReputationRep:
    Your supposed to eat 2000 cal a day minimum, especially when exercising. 700-800 cal a day is dangerous, and the reason you never lost weight until you started exercising is because your body went into starvation mode (metabolic rate has reduced). Also once you come off the diet, you will pile the weight back on. You need to increase you cal intake to about 1800 to 2000 cal. If you are exercising you can easily lose weight on this calorie count.

Please don't make yourself ill for the sake of a few kilo grams! If you want to lose weight, do it properly!

ReputationRep:
    but thats the thing, i must be doing something because i've been eating 700-800cal this entire month and i havent notice any change until i've been doing the 30min of tabata. now i can see my stomach is flatter and i've only done the tabata twice - friday night + yesterday night.
    You see yourself everyday so you're not gonna notice the change for a while. It's like when are younger you don't notice that you are taller than a week ago as its such a gradual change.

Best thing to do is weigh yourself and take measurements maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Also i could cut down on the squats as you will fry your central nervous system which will cause you to find working out harder and harder until you lose all motivation to do it. you Also need to let your body recover from them. Also eat more than you are now as thats not enough.

ReputationRep:
    Your stomach may look flatter but tabata isn't a miracle worker, eating 700-800 calories per day and doing high intensity training like that is essentially starving yourself and you're not going to have lost any large amounts of fat overnight, it'll just be water. If you lose anything from what you're doing it'll be muscle but if you're not eating enough then your body is more likely to try and hold onto fat as an energy source because it's not getting enough energy from food.

ReputationRep:
    Your stomach may look flatter but tabata isn't a miracle worker, eating 700-800 calories per day and doing high intensity training like that is essentially starving yourself and you're not going to have lost any large amounts of fat overnight, it'll just be water. If you lose anything from what you're doing it'll be muscle but if you're not eating enough then your body is more likely to try and hold onto fat as an energy source because it's not getting enough energy from food.
    but don't squats help increase muscle mass?

ReputationRep:
    but don't squats help increase muscle mass?
    Not when you're doing millions in 30 minutes! In order for your muscle mass to increase you need to be eating enough food and protein for the muscle to be maintained or to grow, which you're not. You also need time for your muscle to rest because it needs rest to repair itself and grow, it doesn't grow while you're exercising, it grows when you're not exercising. I'm no expert but what you're doing is more about endurance than actual strength. Also depends if you're doing them the exercise DVD way of going down about a quarter or properly going all the way down. I don't think many people could do full ass to grass squats at full capacity (as many as possible) for 20 seconds with 10 seconds rest and maintain it for 30 minutes. I know I couldn't. Chances are you'd start sacrificing good form because you're tired and therefore drastically increasing your chances of injuring yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Not when you're doing millions in 30 minutes! In order for your muscle mass to increase you need to be eating enough food and protein for the muscle to be maintained or to grow, which you're not. You also need time for your muscle to rest because it needs rest to repair itself and grow, it doesn't grow while you're exercising, it grows when you're not exercising. I'm no expert but what you're doing is more about endurance than actual strength. Also depends if you're doing them the exercise DVD way of going down about a quarter or properly going all the way down. I don't think many people could do full ass to grass squats at full capacity (as many as possible) for 20 seconds with 10 seconds rest and maintain it for 30 minutes. I know I couldn't. Chances are you'd start sacrificing good form because you're tired and therefore drastically increasing your chances of injuring yourself.
    i don't do 30min in one go, i take breaks in between. my legs feel like murder but i can't stop. i just wait a while and think ''its only 4 minutes, i need to get to 30min or i won't be able to sleep knowing i haven't done anything to lose anything''
    i've got anorexia (i'm not underweight) and i think i'm addicted to exercise - i can burst into tears sometimes when i don't do atleast 20min of it - whether 'it' is typical HIIT or tabata.

i'd already had 1000 calories by 5pm today and i can't eat anything else knowing that i'm gonna gain weight and i can't do it.

i've been looking into increasing my calorie intake and i know for sure i won't do 2000 so i'm taking baby steps, increasing about 100 a week and i'm probably gonna go for a total of 1400 at the end, that is, until i feel comfortable in myself to stop.

i know what i'm doing is highly and stupidly dangerous but i'm trying my hardest to control it. my family seem to have forgotten that i told them i'm anorexic, or they just think its some kind of diet but i'm too psychologically and emotionally inclined for it to be some kind of diet.

so yeah. thanks everyone! it's been...interesting!

i don't do 30min in one go, i take breaks in between. my legs feel like murder but i can't stop. i just wait a while and think ''its only 4 minutes, i need to get to 30min or i won't be able to sleep knowing i haven't done anything to lose anything''
    i've got anorexia (i'm not underweight) and i think i'm addicted to exercise - i can burst into tears sometimes when i don't do atleast 20min of it - whether 'it' is typical HIIT or tabata.

i'd already had 1000 calories by 5pm today and i can't eat anything else knowing that i'm gonna gain weight and i can't do it.

i've been looking into increasing my calorie intake and i know for sure i won't do 2000 so i'm taking baby steps, increasing about 100 a week and i'm probably gonna go for a total of 1400 at the end, that is, until i feel comfortable in myself to stop.

i know what i'm doing is highly and stupidly dangerous but i'm trying my hardest to control it. my family seem to have forgotten that i told them i'm anorexic, or they just think its some kind of diet but i'm too psychologically and emotionally inclined for it to be some kind of diet.

so yeah. thanks everyone! it's been...interesting!
    Are you getting any help with the anorexia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Are you getting any help with the anorexia?
    no

no

i've told my sisters but one argues with me saying ''if you know you're not eating properly and exercising til you feel like you're dying then why do you do it?''
    she doesn't realise it's not like a switch - there's no on/off button.
    the other doesn't seem to believe me or she's forgotten - she hasn't said anything since i told her and she's more concerned with a video she's making for her friend :lol:
    and i've told my friends but, now i don't mean this in a rude way, it's a little like talking to an egg plant :lol:
    i'm open to counselling but i haven't got the time because of my GCSEs so i'm acting as self-counsellor
    I hope I'm not being taken for a ride but don't you think the anorexia is going to affect your exams?

I don't think not having time due to GCSEs is enough and you're not doing yourself any favours by acting as self-counsellor. You've already said yourself that it's not working and no one here can help you so read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...28#post1866528

and get yourself proper help especially if your family aren't being very supportive.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.