Turn on thread page Beta

What do YOU think about CO2 & Global Warming watch

• View Poll Results: global warming & carbon emissions
    I don't believe CO2 is warming up earth/global warming is our fault/etc
    24.59%
    I think it's happening and its our fault and we should minimise carbon emmisions
    62.30%
    I don't care one iota about it all
    13.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    A personal attack on your debating opponents? That was weak.
    MrCynical lives up to his name by defaming all topic-related science. He also states "Does that mean global warming isn't happening? Not necessarily." He clearly shows lucid doubts on all evidence about that branch of science/study. But it's obvious he's not on your side. He is cynical and has made a great contribution to this thread, proving something with great insight, but he has shown neither pro nor anti personal verdicts on the environmental stance. I'm a fan of that post & would've +repped if I had any left.
    Trying to swindle to his side was gollum-ish of you.
    Who are you? What was the point of that post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The problem is that even if we reduce co2 we then have to keep it there. On top of that this will most likly require that we stifle development in the Third world as well as countries like India China ect.
    Not if we find a practical solution for alternative energy. Not diminishing energy only carbon emissions, that's the only implementable solution as far as I see anything happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Who are you? What was the point of that post?
    Proving why I don't need to counter-attack or defend from MrCynical's post. That was the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The problem is that even if we reduce co2 we then have to keep it there. On top of that this will most likly require that we stifle development in the Third world as well as countries like India China ect.
    Development in the third world will be even more stifled if they face the predicted disproportionate effect of global warming, especially considering they don't have the resources to protect against the threat. It's not a case of preventing GW v development: development is only possible if we keep GW in check.

ReputationRep:
    There have been 15 ice ages in the last 2 million years, all caused by a combination of factors from orbital eccentricity (100,000 year cycle), axial precession (22,000 year cycle), orbital plane tilt (41,000 cycle) and solar activity. They have happened many times before, they will happen again, and we even know roughly when, and that man is sod all to do with them. There is no denying that the Earths resources are becoming stretched, but this is due to our excessive population outstripping natures balance. I know that any suggestion to try and control that would see the bleeding heart human rights activists going to war against the eco-mentallists. Every politician knows that in their life-time there will be no difference, except to their retirement plan and bank balance. Life goes on, maybe not human life, and we are right to try and preserve what we cherish, but our efforts are both futile and hopelessly misguided whilst being driven by the wrong people.

Some of you selfish people don't care here because you think it wont happen to you
    Its actually down to the big factories but small measures from us can help

ReputationRep:
    I actually think too many people make too big a deal about whether or not climate change is real, or if humans caused it. The Earth has been hotter than it is now, and it's been colder than it is now. So in its essence, "climate change" is perfectly natural. I really believe that people should stop arguing about the extent to which CO2 emissions are affecting climate change and put more emphasis on the extent to which CO2 emissions are affecting us, our health, and the environment around us. I don't think anyone can realistically argue that continuing to pollute the environment isn't a bad thing, so why can't we focus on renewable energy sources and cleaning up the damage we're doing? Not for the sake of stopping climate change, but for the sake of keeping our world a decent place in which to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugueseninja)
    I actually think too many people make too big a deal about whether or not climate change is real, or if humans caused it. The Earth has been hotter than it is now, and it's been colder than it is now. So in its essence, "climate change" is perfectly natural. I really believe that people should stop arguing about the extent to which CO2 emissions are affecting climate change and put more emphasis on the extent to which CO2 emissions are affecting us, our health, and the environment around us. I don't think anyone can realistically argue that continuing to pollute the environment isn't a bad thing, so why can't we focus on renewable energy sources and cleaning up the damage we're doing? Not for the sake of stopping climate change, but for the sake of keeping our world a decent place in which to live.

I agree with you for the most part. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things whether or not climate change is happening or if it's a threat. Climate change has always occurred and will continue. Efforts to keep our surrounding environment clean and thus enjoyable to be in is an overall good thing regardless. I think people should still understand what the real problem behind climate change is though. If we all had a better understanding of how nature works (for example: the carbon cycle), then perhaps more effort would be put into respecting the earth and being conscious of our actions and lifestyle. It's not the fact the earth is warming that's a problem, it's the rate at which it is happening. Species all over the world, including plants, are not able to adapt quickly enough to these changes.

ReputationRep:
    I believe overpopulation is the reason for the increased CO2, etc, however I don't believe it is the sole reason for climate change, because the Earth's climate has been changing since it was a fireball.

Either way, I see melting ice caps etc as a solution rather then an issue.
    As cynical as it sounds, the issue is overpopulation, and the solution is decreasing the population, and melting ice caps, lack of food, etc will do just that. That is unless a nuclear war or another plague occurs first.

The Earth and the life on Earth won't be affected, it'll just adapt to it's environment like it has done since life began.
    It would be a contest of 'survival of the fittest' for humans though because the population will be too high for everyone to survive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.