Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hmm excuse me for being dumb but what are Toffs? lol.

ReputationRep:
    Posh people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_flo)
    Posh people.
    I thought it might be that but wasnt sure :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leona)
    I've been looking at some pics of Exeter students (on the Guild website), and alot of the students do seem to be ''toffs''... but bugger me the blokes are good looking! They'll do for me, sloanes or not heh heh
    don't be fooled! HA, seriously i thought Exeter was going to be amazing for the fitters, granted, it does have some beautiful people, but they're few and far between!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boho)
    don't be fooled! HA, seriously i thought Exeter was going to be amazing for the fitters, granted, it does have some beautiful people, but they're few and far between!
    Sorry to dissapoint you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boho)
    Darn it! Well, the pics were on the RAG website, so they are probably not representative of Exeter's population as a whole.

Aside, have you had any problems with the whole class thing? Are there obvious divides, or not because EVERYBODY is upper class? I'm worried I wouldn't fit in, and theres always SO much talk about the 'class war'.

ReputationRep:
    Its only an issue if you make it one.

I went to state school, my 3 best friends at uni all went to private and even though there is an exceptionally large proportion of private school kids at exeter, unless you actually go up to someone and ask them, you'll never know. No one actually cares, you all got into the same uni, all got the same grades, doesn't matter which school you went to! I haven't had any problems with it here, so don't worry about it x

ReputationRep:
    If you want fitties give me your number. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    you're a funny boy!

ReputationRep:
    I was watching a programme on chavs last night hosted by a quite respectable chav who was telling the audience how much the middle class are to blame for creating the chavs in modern society. Apparently the middle class put the working class down too much and have taken away all their values. So basically she was arguing that the people in the middle class have made the working class (and she used the word working class and chav as the same thing - nice one idiot) disrespectful, yobbish, scrounging and uneducated bunch they are today. Dont get me wrong, i dont particularly like chavs, but she braded ALL chavs as the above and then blamed the people who try to make something of themselves for creating them... talk about passing the buck!

--------------

(Original post by boho)
    Its only an issue if you make it one.

I went to state school, my 3 best friends at uni all went to private and even though there is an exceptionally large proportion of private school kids at exeter, unless you actually go up to someone and ask them, you'll never know. No one actually cares, you all got into the same uni, all got the same grades, doesn't matter which school you went to! I haven't had any problems with it here, so don't worry about it x
    OMG you havent been to Holland Hall have you.

ReputationRep:
    There is lots of New money in Holland Hall; its clear. Some of them have clearly felt the need to change who they are to fit in. Desperate social climbers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor.ellis)
    OMG you havent been to Holland Hall have you.
    lol my best friend lives there and shes not exactly rolling in it! As do a lot of other people i know. Yeah there are sloanes/toffs whatever you wanna call them, fair enough some of them can be a bit OTT sometimes, but just let them get on with it, ignore them! i know i do! there are a hell of a lot of other people at exeter worth getting to know! xx

ReputationRep:
    Spot on! Good call Youngling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boho)
    lol my best friend lives there and shes not exactly rolling in it! As do a lot of other people i know. Yeah there are sloanes/toffs whatever you wanna call them, fair enough some of them can be a bit OTT sometimes, but just let them get on with it, ignore them! i know i do! there are a hell of a lot of other people at exeter worth getting to know! xx
    there absolutely are, no denying that you are totally right. the only thing is i feel like a bit of an alien at holland, and at first i thought it was my imagination and that i was doing it myself but the longer i live there i relaise its true! but the second year on my corridor says it chills out in the second term, heres hoping!

ReputationRep:
    soo...is that concluded that there aren't many chavs in exeter ? i've heard it's got quite a few preppy kids here and there...but i wouldn't know lol

as for the goth/emo...it'd feel just like home.!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's the word on the block- rahs in abundance. i hope exeter's not one of those places where you bump into people you know all the time and there's no impersonal environment at all. but i'm sure it's not

ReputationRep:
    Well.. I seemed to bump into people I knew all the time out and about! It's not that big a place

And for chavs.. they all seem to hang about Tesco in the day, but arent that prominant... but at night, is when they come out ! lol

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this thread OP lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leona)
    Lol! I think its safe to say that there aren't very many chavs in Exeter. Its supposed to have the highest quality of life of any UK city (or something). When I went for an open day I stayed for the weeked and only saw 1 or 2.

--------------

Also, if you've ever heard anything about exeter uni, you'll know there arent chavs. Its like one of the poshest uni's
    When you live in exeter you know, and I would say there are, they are more around the Heavitree/wonford area and places like burnt house lane and exwick, there are alot, as you always see them running around through town when I am at central Library, though nearer the Uni there arn't as many due to being sat right next to pensilvania where all the rich live haha

ReputationRep:
    This thread is (was) six years old. Let it die peacefully.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.