The Student Room Group

Improving my French

Hey, I've been studying French since I was about 11 or so, took it for A-Level and am currently doing it as an optional module at University in my third. I am also going to France in the third year.

However since the optional modules for my course are so good next year, I am unable/don't want to choose an optional module in French. I therefore realise I need to keep my French up to scratch if I am going to go there in a years time (I am also thinking of going for 6 weeks in the summer but I still think some regular practice would do me good).

So I was wondering if you had any advice on what materials could help me improve my French independently, this would preferably be something like a podcast or a newletter/RSS feed, so therefore I would know when I would be doing French.

I have obviously heard of all the french newspapers, but have been unable to find a newsletter that means I don't have to go searching for good bits of news, which I don't think I would be able to do next year.

Any advice given would be great.
Reply 1
google 'dpstream', you can watch loads of French series or subtitles american ones online.
Reply 2
Original post by JaxDaxter
Hey, I've been studying French since I was about 11 or so, took it for A-Level and am currently doing it as an optional module at University in my third. I am also going to France in the third year.

However since the optional modules for my course are so good next year, I am unable/don't want to choose an optional module in French. I therefore realise I need to keep my French up to scratch if I am going to go there in a years time (I am also thinking of going for 6 weeks in the summer but I still think some regular practice would do me good).

So I was wondering if you had any advice on what materials could help me improve my French independently, this would preferably be something like a podcast or a newletter/RSS feed, so therefore I would know when I would be doing French.

I have obviously heard of all the french newspapers, but have been unable to find a newsletter that means I don't have to go searching for good bits of news, which I don't think I would be able to do next year.

If you look for a good news site, try this one: http://newsmap.jp/#/b,e,m,n,s,t,w/fr/view/
It links you to good online newspaper articles for the most relevant topics and constantly changes. You can even turn on and off certain areas like Business or Sports.

Aren't there any newspapers for learners of French? Because in Germany we have "Écoute" which is a magazine for German-natives who learn French, with topics interesting for both countries and a lot of grammar and vocab help.

If I can think of anything else, I'll come back:wink:

edit: I just had a look at the magazine's website, I think it could be interesting for you even if you don't speak German, there are some podcasts, too. http://www.ecoute.de/ (unfortunately, you have to be a member to see a lot of the contents :frown: )
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't know if it will be too basic for you, but the Hugo Advanced language books are really intensive on the grammar and have some interesting vocab. You could always give it a try.
Reply 4
Original post by JaxDaxter

You could join the thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1586873 which is where people on TSR who want to practice/keep their language skills up can Skype eachother. ^_^ You could help other people that way too!

If you want to do listening practice however then I reccomend going on itunes and searching for Podcasts from "Le Mouv" which is a french radio station and also looking for "rédaction" I think it's either radio france or le mouv again. I find they're both really good for listening and they're free. They also have the added advantage of being normal french stations are not aimed at learners (most french resources seem to be for adults who are just starting rather than people who are starting to become fluent/are fluent and want to come it up which annoys me hahah!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending