Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section. Also HUGE block of text incoming. If anyone reads I'll be happy. If anyone replies I'll be ectactic as I want an external opinion of what to do.

I (and two of my other flatmates) are having problems with one of my other flatmates, for the sake of this I will call him X.

I will straight up say that me and my two other flatmates aren't the quietest people. We are probably the most sociable flat in the whole block with people coming to ours pretty much 24/7. But I always try to keep things quiet when it's late at night so we don't wake the others up. But as university accommodation is not a palace, noise travels.

Trouble kind of began in freshers week when X ranted about me and the two other flatmates behind our backs about how we were too loud. Of course we tried to be quieter. Then things got a bit worse when I happened to have the same cutlery as him, washed all of his and mine up then put them in my drawer thinking they were mine. Again instead of coming to ask me about this, something I would have straight away apologized for as it was a genuine mistake, he ranted about me to other people.
    I ended up buying a new set that nobody else has to keep the peace.

Once when playing jokes around the flat, I knocked on his door at about 6pm and ran away (immature, yes) but his was not the only door to have stuff done to it. It got to the point where X came straight out asking one of my flatmates if he had a problem with him. To which my flatmate replied 'Yes' because he did. My flatmate then put forward his reasons in a non-threatening way saying as to why he did not like X. The reasons being along the lines of that even though we asked X to help with the cleaning of the kitchen for a flat inspection. He did not lift a finger. He has also confronted me about me apparently knocking on his door in the early hours of the morning to wake him up because I thought it would be funny. One of his friends told him this. It is 100% not true and I told him that, but I also said I doubted he would believe me because I knew he disliked me anyway.

Now it's got to the point where X doesn't speak to us. He purposely tries to bait us, I think. The other night he came in at about 3am with his girlfriend and (I think because we are sometimes loud at night) he proceeded to shout 'You're all c***s' then bang on our doors and run away (probably as own back for my knocking at 6pm weeks before).

After one night out my flatmate drunkenly brought in a road sign which stayed in the corridor for a few days before it was put in his room out of the way. As an apparent response to this flatmate X has brought in a bush and left it in the hallway where it is making a huge mess.

After the recent flat inspection (he did not help out again) me and the other flatmates decided it would be best to try and keep the kitchen as clean as we could so it wouldn't build up again. Flatmate X leaves plates everywhere and food packaging all over the surfaces. This doesn't bother me that much. But now he is using my cutlery and my other flatmates cutlery and not washing them up but leaving them. I specifically brought new cutlery that were individual so he wouldn't use mine. So in theory he has 2 sets of cutlery. For him to use mine and my other flatmates stuff, then not wash it up is not fair.

I don't think I'm being petty here, If I am then tell me. But does anyone have any idea of how to stop him. I don't really want to have to move all my stuff out of the kitchen into my room. Me and my other flatmates are going to discuss it tomorrow and probably speak to him about it or write him a note.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. + If you read all that, then wow, you deserve a medal.

ReputationRep:
    You all sound like you need to grow up - and that's part of the "uni experience", i.e. getting along with people you struggle to get along with.

Also, it seems to me like you and your douche bag mate started this feud. Why is he pinching road signs? Do we not pay enough tax already?

And as for X's retaliation with a bush - WINNER.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you guys do a lot of the rational talking through people, and a lot of the stupidness face to face. JS.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you on the cutlery and not helping out part but it just seems like you guys pissed him off first and he's just finding ways to annoy you back.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, you only have to put up with him for another month or 2 before you can move away from him. Just deal with it.... tbh he doesn't even sound THAT bad...

ReputationRep:
    his bush retaliation is awesome

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO at the bush :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    lol, you're a ****

ReputationRep:
    He could totally make a post from his point of view in which you look like the ****.

You've both done stupid and immature stuff. You should try talking to him and say you're trying to resolve the conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah dude, it sounds like you and your flatmates are ganging up on him. Maybe he's a jerk, but I suspect it's retaliation to the **** you pulled. "Knocked on his door at 6PM" - I'll bet that's less then half the story.

And the bush thing... What a legend.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    He could totally make a post from his point of view in which you look like the ****.

You've both done stupid and immature stuff. You should try talking to him and say you're trying to resolve the conflict.
    This.

Also, don't communicate through notes, get the whole flat together and make general points, rather than jumping on him, because that may well **** him off even more.

Things can be difficult living with people you don't know, but it works both ways, and to be honest I would have been annoyed by your behaviour as well - sound travels more than you think, and for people not used to it can affect sleep etc, thus making the person even more annoyed than they were before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsuxiit)
    After one night out my flatmate drunkenly brought in a road sign which stayed in the corridor for a few days before it was put in his room out of the way. As an apparent response to this flatmate X has brought in a bush and left it in the hallway where it is making a huge mess.

That made me spit out my coffee.

ReputationRep:
    A bit childish to be honest if anything you guys need to step up the pranks, then it'd be serious.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i agree with what people are saying here, It does sound like you started this, and to be honest it sounded a little like bullying on your part, if you don't get along with someone, banging on their door isn't going to be seen as funny is it?

I think you need to do the grown up thing. Have a chat with this guy, get everything out in the open and see if you can't come to some sort of truce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsuxiit)
    Have to agree with everyone else here. It sounds like you started this by deliberately irritating him and now you're acting surprised that he's irritated.

If you actually want to resolve this then you need to sit down and talk to him with your whole flat willing to apologise to each other and start afresh. And that will mean you changing how you act as well as him: playing pranks and having people coming and going 24/7 isn't a reasonable way to behave. He needs to clear up after himself and stop using your cutlery but he probably thinks that he's in the right just like you do.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to say, for the love of God: DO NOT WRITE A NOTE. Grow some balls and tell it to his face.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.